16-17 Non Conference Schedule

• 31 replies

Re: 16-17 Non Conference Schedule
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/schedule/schedule.pdf

Apparently, nobody noticed the big misprint.

The dates for Atlantis are written as Wednesday November 23, Tuesday November 24, and Wednesday November 25. Of course, it's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Also, Tulane still has our game listed as being on Saturday, December 3, where as we have it the night before. Obviously, one is right, and one is wrong, so be on the lookout for the date to change on one of those teams' official schedules.

LoganK

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/schedule/schedule.pdf

Apparently, nobody noticed the big misprint.

The dates for Atlantis are written as Wednesday November 23, Tuesday November 24, and Wednesday November 25. Of course, it's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Also, Tulane still has our game listed as being on Saturday, December 3, where as we have it the night before. Obviously, one is right, and one is wrong, so be on the lookout for the date to change on one of those teams' official schedules.

Or we all completely misunderstand space and time but the NCAA has figured it out.  Just ask them, they'll tell you.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
There are a lot of teams on our schedule who were as bad as we were in 15-16, but mixed in with them are a fair amount of heavy hitters. Some really tough games combined with games that we will absolutely be expected to win.

Norm used to build his pre season schedules like this one so even if we got housed in conference play, he could still point to an improved win total. This schedule has more high major opponents, but it really feels like we're trying to pad our overall win total.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:18:10 PM by Poison »

NYCoffey

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »
Closed scrimmage with Rhode Island

St. John's opted for just one exhibition game this year to have a closed scrimmage. It will be against Rhode Island, per source. #sjubb

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
Closed scrimmage with Rhode Island

St. John's opted for just one exhibition game this year to have a closed scrimmage. It will be against Rhode Island, per source. #sjubb

Good matchup.  Rams should be close to the top of the A10

hnk

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »
Experts expect them to be bottom of top 25 if injury-free. 

QuanMan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »
Star guard EJ Matthews was fully cleared to play this morning following last years injury. He along with Jared Terrell should be a nice D1 wakeup call for Marcus/Shamorie/Bash.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
URI is gonna be a tough opponent. I'm curious to hear about how that goes. I wonder if no longer player St.Thomas Aquinas is just another example of STJ taking their ball and going after yet another embarrassing loss to lowly local that we have no business losing to under any circumstance.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
URI is gonna be a tough opponent. I'm curious to hear about how that goes. I wonder if no longer player St.Thomas Aquinas is just another example of STJ taking their ball and going after yet another embarrassing loss to lowly local that we have no business losing to under any circumstance.

You're complaining about not scheduling a D2 team?

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »

St. John's would bear STAC by 20+ this season. Last season was an anomaly. The team may never be that bad again.

URI will give this team a dose of reality before Atlantis.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »

St. John's would bear STAC by 20+ this season. Last season was an anomaly. The team may never be that bad again.

URI will give this team a dose of reality before Atlantis.
I am happy we are not playing st. Thomas . Playing a divison 2 is a waste of time. Last years team was talented enough to beat them by 20 plus also. Not an anomaly last year. St. John's was not prepared to play.

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »
We are playing Fordham, which wasn't exactly a fun loss for anyone.

Perhaps the primary reasons we choose to play (or not play) locals is driven by what SJU is going to get out of the game, which should be the only consideration.  If any of these other locals were in the A-10, we would probably play them every year as well.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »
We are playing Fordham, which wasn't exactly a fun loss for anyone.

Perhaps the primary reasons we choose to play (or not play) locals is driven by what SJU is going to get out of the game, which should be the only consideration.  If any of these other locals were in the A-10, we would probably play them every year as well.

The primary reason for playing or not playing locals, with the exception of the Jarvis years is whether or not we had a good chance of winning. Fordham is better than they've been in a long time, but they are not a tough game by any stretch. They also lost their top big man, and he ate us alive last year. Also, Mullin and company know that Mussini won't be running the offense against Fordham, so they will not be able to exploit that gross advantage.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:36:27 PM by Poison »

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
So if Manhattan and Fordham flip flopped conferences we'd still be playing Fordham every year?  I don't think so.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
So if Manhattan and Fordham flip flopped conferences we'd still be playing Fordham every year?  I don't think so.

Fordham may play in the Atlantic 10, but they are one of the worst programs in the history of college basketball. Manhattan has won NCAA tournament games against programs that have won National Championships. St.John's sees Mass, and what he does with very little talent. They may not be smart enough to hire a coach who gets the most out of his players, but at least they know not to mess with him.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »
It annoys me when we don't play a good out of conference opponent at home.

This schedule would be fine, but for the fact that we don't have a marquee non-conference opponent.   All I ask for is one game with a good team we don't normally see.

I understand this is a confidence building year, Atlantis will be tough, and we go to the Carrier Dome.. blah blah blah.  That's all well and good.
But I'm of the opinion that season ticket holders, and just fans in general, would like to see an interesting matchup with somebody like Ohio State, Duke, Indiana, UCLA etc to name a few we've played at home in seasons past.

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »

This schedule would be fine, but for the fact that we don't have a marquee non-conference opponent.   All I ask for is one game with a good team we don't normally see.

I understand this is a confidence building year, Atlantis will be tough, and we go to the Carrier Dome.. blah blah blah.  That's all well and good.
But I'm of the opinion that season ticket holders, and just fans in general, would like to see an interesting matchup with somebody like Ohio State, Duke, Indiana, UCLA etc to name a few we've played at home in seasons past.

What? Longwoods not doing it for Ya?

desco80

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »

Cupcakes are fine.  But people pay good money for season tickets.  We have one non-conference home game against a major conference opponent... Penn State.
No one we play at home has made the tournament in years.  Binghamton is probably the most recent.

I just don't see why we can't play a December game against Louisville or Michigan.  Anybody.   Most teams would love a visit to NYC before conference play starts. 

Poison

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »

Cupcakes are fine.  But people pay good money for season tickets.  We have one non-conference home game against a major conference opponent... Penn State.
No one we play at home has made the tournament in years.  Binghamton is probably the most recent.

I just don't see why we can't play a December game against Louisville or Michigan.  Anybody.   Most teams would love a visit to NYC before conference play starts. 

A lot of college basketball fans consider Penn State to be a cup cake. But I guess that would make us a cup cake, too. Non conference IMO, it's fine to make it easy, but the key will be what kind of team they'll be in January. These cup cakes won't bother us if they are used to help the team come together.