Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ - OHIO ST.

• 331 replies

MCNPA

Re: Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
Without a doubt we don't have a proper coaching staff in place.  We are trying to get it all done an assistant HC short.  Most teams have multiple recruiters.  Matt A is excellent but I'll say it again, he can't do it alone.  None of this is his fault.  He's doing about as well as humanly possible.  We are hamstrung because of the Slice debacle and the school seems to think it's fine to make a go for a few years without a full staff to save money.  That is ridiculous.  It was also a huge mistake for the school to have never had a proper AD until now.  It probably lead to many of these issues. 

The school needs to suck up those losses and get a proper AHC in there who can both coach and recruit.  Look at Georgetown. They have a guy like Louis Orr who was a former player, Big East head coach and a very good recruiter.  SJU needs somebody like that on the sidelines, whether it's Rice or somebody else.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:50:27 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
Let's redirect the general recruiting and coaching posts to another thread and keep this as a Luther Muhammad.

ras

« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
Let's redirect the general recruiting and coaching posts to another thread and keep this as a Luther Muhammad.
+1. Reading about Luther gets me depressed , especially at the heals of the Wilson loss.

Foad

« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
That's not entirely fair.

I did not make my bones by being entirely fair.

The idea that he inherited an NCAA team is based on the fact he took them to the NCAA's not because he inherited a team that played in one prior.  That is a huge difference. Mike Jarvis inherited an NCAA team from Fran, why?  Because they went to the NCAA's the year before and returned Artest, Postell, Ty Grant, Bootsy (who would become eligible) and the top HS PG in the country coming in.  10 seniors or not he inherited a team that went 5-13, 6-12 and 6-12 in the BE in the 3 years prior to his arrival, hardly evidence he inherited an NCAA team.

The evidence that he inherited an NCAA tournament team is that the team he inherited went to the NCAA tournament. Refute that. Pro tip: you can't.

Furthermore even if you grant the fact that he "inherited an NCAA team" by definition he had to essentially replace an entire roster, you can't blame that on him.  In other words you can't have it both ways, you can't say he inherited all those seniors and then dismiss the fact that he had to replace an entire roster that he inherited.

I'm not dismissing anything. He had a year to replace an entire roster that went to the NCAA tournament based upon the goodwill he inherited by being a vacuous talking head on ESPN. I understand that. But comparing the situation of a first year coach who inherits 10 seniors to one who inherits Felix Balamou is at best disingenous.

Furthermore 

For the record that's two furthermores

by his 3rd year he had a 8-10 NIT team in a much more difficult conference (cannot compare the current BE to the old BE.  Not even close).  By his 4th year he had arguably the most talented roster at SJU in a long time even without Harkless.  With Harkless it would have been right there with Villanova in the BE imho. This is where you can argue he underachieved and did not do enough.  Because that is where I would agree.  But either way 3 20 win seasons and 4 NIT/NCAA seasons in 5 years is not good enough.  That is fine.  It shouldn't be, we expect to be at a level commensurate with Nova.  No reason they can't.

We can agree on this to the extent that you've implicitly stated that Lavin was an awful coach who didn't know what to do with the talent he assembled. To the extent that we don't know what Mullin will do with the talent he's assembled in his third (and really his second year) of recruiting, I'm happy to wait and see. Mullin might suck. I don't expect he will, but he might. Pronouncing that he does is premature. And pining for the previous regime is insane.

But Mullin did not inherit a mess of a program.   

WTF. He inherited a roster of shit in a moribund program that has not won a tournament game this century. A program that has been in disarray for 40 years. He inherited nothing.

<slight hose for clarity>

The harder part is NOW. 

Agree. He needs to show something this year. He needs to win the winnable games and split the maybe winnable games and lose the losable games repectably. If he doesn't the naysayers have a point. But two years into it it's much too soon for the sky to be falling.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »
Does the loss of Luther, change the way SJU recruit moving forward? Will the plan continue to be swing for the fences and work the transfer market.

A big issue (IMO) was at the lack of leadship and vision at the administrative level. Do people thing the AD is already working behind the scenes to find way to best support this staff? Of the sky actually does fall, how does the board think the Administration will react?
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »
Does the loss of Luther, change the way SJU recruit moving forward? Will the plan continue to be swing for the fences and work the transfer market.

A big issue (IMO) was at the lack of leadship and vision at the administrative level. Do people thing the AD is already working behind the scenes to find way to best support this staff? Of the sky actually does fall, how does the board think the Administration will react?

The AD seems like a totally different kind of BS artist than the last guy. The last guy was smoother, but this guy wants you to think he cares. I think I miss Ed Manetta a lot.

« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
That's not entirely fair.

I did not make my bones by being entirely fair.

The idea that he inherited an NCAA team is based on the fact he took them to the NCAA's not because he inherited a team that played in one prior.  That is a huge difference. Mike Jarvis inherited an NCAA team from Fran, why?  Because they went to the NCAA's the year before and returned Artest, Postell, Ty Grant, Bootsy (who would become eligible) and the top HS PG in the country coming in.  10 seniors or not he inherited a team that went 5-13, 6-12 and 6-12 in the BE in the 3 years prior to his arrival, hardly evidence he inherited an NCAA team.

The evidence that he inherited an NCAA tournament team is that the team he inherited went to the NCAA tournament. Refute that. Pro tip: you can't.

Furthermore even if you grant the fact that he "inherited an NCAA team" by definition he had to essentially replace an entire roster, you can't blame that on him.  In other words you can't have it both ways, you can't say he inherited all those seniors and then dismiss the fact that he had to replace an entire roster that he inherited.

I'm not dismissing anything. He had a year to replace an entire roster that went to the NCAA tournament based upon the goodwill he inherited by being a vacuous talking head on ESPN. I understand that. But comparing the situation of a first year coach who inherits 10 seniors to one who inherits Felix Balamou is at best disingenous.

Furthermore 

For the record that's two furthermores

by his 3rd year he had a 8-10 NIT team in a much more difficult conference (cannot compare the current BE to the old BE.  Not even close).  By his 4th year he had arguably the most talented roster at SJU in a long time even without Harkless.  With Harkless it would have been right there with Villanova in the BE imho. This is where you can argue he underachieved and did not do enough.  Because that is where I would agree.  But either way 3 20 win seasons and 4 NIT/NCAA seasons in 5 years is not good enough.  That is fine.  It shouldn't be, we expect to be at a level commensurate with Nova.  No reason they can't.

We can agree on this to the extent that you've implicitly stated that Lavin was an awful coach who didn't know what to do with the talent he assembled. To the extent that we don't know what Mullin will do with the talent he's assembled in his third (and really his second year) of recruiting, I'm happy to wait and see. Mullin might suck. I don't expect he will, but he might. Pronouncing that he does is premature. And pining for the previous regime is insane.

But Mullin did not inherit a mess of a program.   

WTF. He inherited a roster of shit in a moribund program that has not won a tournament game this century. A program that has been in disarray for 40 years. He inherited nothing.

<slight hose for clarity>

The harder part is NOW. 

Agree. He needs to show something this year. He needs to win the winnable games and split the maybe winnable games and lose the losable games repectably. If he doesn't the naysayers have a point. But two years into it it's much too soon for the sky to be falling.

I am not re-litigating the Lavin years but you simply overstate how bad he was an more importantly what he "inherited."  And you continually us that false argument.  You are right to denounce idiots who overstate criticism of Coach Mullin, but you need to come up with better arguments than re-writing Lavin-era history.

« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »
I hope Dixon and Trimble can carry the load next year, cause that will be our backcourt.

Where do you think LoVett and Ponds are going to go? They're not NBA players. Maybe one day, but they're not even close right now.

You're forgetting about Simon.

« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2017, 12:20:03 AM »
Looks like re-upping matt was pretty silly at this point.  Going on two years in a row with minimal impact.

I think he's too focused on watching the Mets play. LOL

Who recruited Ponds, Lovett, Yawke, Ahmed, Wilson, Brown, Owens, Clark, Simon, Keita, Trimble and Roberts? Tony Chiles?

Matt did a great job first two years.  Last and this  not so much.

Foad

« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
I am not re-litigating the Lavin years but you simply overstate how bad he was .

I don't believe it's possible to overstate how bad he was. He was a lazy recruiter, a poor tactician and a vacuous blabbermouth. And those were his good points.

redslope

Re: Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ - OHIO ST.
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »