Rysheed Jordan - Skills for Life

• 155 replies

Foad

Rysheed Jordan - Skills for Life
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »
Twenty-two-year-old Rysheed Jordan, who attended Edward W. Bok Technical High School, is charged with attempted murder, robbery and other offenses.

http://6abc.com/news/former-philadelphia-basketball-standout-arrested-in-shooting-/1366993/

Rest assured Steve Lavin will visit him in prison
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:58:18 PM by Foad »

dR3w

Re: Rysheed Jordan - Skills for Life
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
Wow...very sad. Over a cell phone. or what someone was willing to pay for a used cell phone. Now he can play in the Pennsylvania Penal League.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
Bigtime loser from day 1. I think he now surpasses Jayson Williams

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Some of us got to know Sheed during his time with us. Good kid but found himself with a bad hometown crowd far too often. We all saw this was going to lead him astray at some point. Very sad, super-talented and had promise if he made better decisions.  Lets hope God helps him and this experience humbles him.  His poor family now is in a tough place. Oldest of many siblings.  Feel bad for his mother too.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »
Some of us got to know Sheed during his time with us. Good kid but found himself with a bad hometown crowd far too often. We all saw this was going to lead him astray at some point. Very sad, super-talented and had promise if he made better decisions.  Lets hope God helps him and this experience humbles him.  His poor family now is in a tough place. Oldest of many siblings.  Feel bad for his mother too.

More enabling

Foad

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »

I feel bad for Steve Lavin, this tarnishes his legacy.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »
Well I hate to say I was right but I said Jordan would never make a living playing ball. Now someone else will make a living playing with his balls.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »

More enabling

I agree.

Prior experiences didn't humble him, when they should have.  Hopefully this time is different.

redslope

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »
Guess he will be playing in another court.  Next game will be for cigarettes in the yard.  At least he will now learn he can't go home anytime he wants.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
Now he makes his shots. I wonder if he tried to Eurostep around the officer that chased him down.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
I'm not as old as some on this board, but he is the biggest waste of talent I've seen at St. John's and in the top 10 that I can recall in college basketball.  This kid had the skills to be on par with Kris Dunn, when you consider his size, athletic ability, etc.  Could do it all when he had his freaking head on straight. 

It's been stated by some on this board that his mother was a big part of the "enabling" issue and part of the reason he went home all the time.  But the kid has no one to blame but himself.  A different coach wouldn't have put up with his nonsense, as talented as he was, and as good as he was at times at the end of his freshman season and parts of the sophomore year.  I had no issue with Lavin taking a risk on the kid, with all the red flags, including Jay Wright's decision to stop recruiting him, when we know Jay Wright has taken kids with some risk and given second changes to others (like Pinkston).  But if our former coach had kept recruiting like he did the first two years, he wouldn't have had to bank his career on Sheed and Obekpa, which is essentially what he did (and led to his downfall).

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:48 PM »
This kid just couldn't get out of the hood huh? Waste of life, waste of our air.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »
Why is everyone making such a big deal about this, he only winged the guy.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 12:38:32 AM »
Well I hate to say I was right but I said Jordan would never make a living playing ball. Now someone else will make a living playing with his balls.

Why does this mean he will never make a living playing ball? He's more NBA now than ever before.

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 01:03:58 AM »

Why does this mean he will never make a living playing ball? He's more NBA now than ever before.
Street cred!  :up:

Poison

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 05:08:36 AM »

I feel bad for Steve Lavin, this tarnishes his legacy.

It doesn't tarnish Lavin at all. Rysheed Jordan didn't arrive at St.John's with a criminal record. Lavin had just as much to do with this as Carnesecca had to do with Jayson Williams shooting his limo driver. Lavin made plenty of mistakes. There's no need to attach blame where it doesn't belong.

Jordan did this to himself, and I suppose he also did it to the guy he shot.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
It doesn't tarnish Lavin at all.

Exactly my point. Steve Lavin is an educator first and foremost and if he can't reach a kid from the ghetto like Michelle Pfeiffer was able to in Dangerous Minds or even Hillary Swank in Freedom Writers, well, it's only because that ghetto kid was too ghetto to be reached. And just because Steve Lavin's most important recruit evah will end up in prison after two years of Steve Lavin's tutelage that doesn't mean that Steve Lavin is to blame for that.He tried damn it! Any other coach who was trying to get his contract renewed would have treated Jordan with exactly the same tough love Lavin did, such as when he burned a year of Felix Balamou's eligibility to prove to Jordan that if Jordan left school without permission Lavin would punish someone else very harshly for it. And as to this reflecting on Lavin's character, just last week he took Felix Balamou to dinner and posted pictures of it on his Instagram account (and probably Twitter too but I didn't see them because he blocked me). I believe Felix had the fish and now Jordan is a fish so we've come full circle. But you're exactly right, Jordan shooting someone during a robbery a short remove from two years of learning that there are more important things than winning at the feet of Steve Lavin is the same as Jayson Williams accidentally shooting someone 20 years after graduating from Saint John's, because Lavin deserves only credit for his successes like recruiting Federico Mussini and not blame for his failures such as when one of his players tries to murder someone over a flip phone. Steve Lavin wouldn't be caught dead with a flip phone.

Johnny23

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »

He's got the prison part down alright.

QuanMan

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 10:15:04 AM »
Incredibly sad, we witnessed his transgressions from day 1. His body language and interactions w teammates/coaches were never positive. His psyche appeared impenetrable. He was a wild child, as teachers often say, you can't reach them all. For every D'Angelo there's a Sheed. He never once came off as a kid who was willing to listen to anyone, and was always out for himself. His neighborhood swallowed him whole, as North Philly does to so many. When you fail out of school, get released from a DLeague team two weeks in and hang out around in that environment without any ambition, this eventually happens. Very tough to swallow seeing talent wasted, but I'm not surprised knowing the environment that surrounded him everyday of his life.
Section 3
Section 116