Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies

Johnny23

Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
using our size advantage

How? By pounding it inside to Darien Williams? Even when they manage to catch a pass the bigs don't finish. 

We do have the clear talent edge over that team

Other than Ponds and Lovett what "talent" is there on this team? Sima and Yawke are potential studs but incredibly raw - I look forward to watching them dominate their opponents in a year or two. Ellison Mussini and the German stink at present and the rest of them are useless.

Obviously we are more talented than Del. St. No one in their right mind would say otherwise. Taking advantage of that talent is a different story. Yakwe clearly looks like he needs to be coached up out there. His shot blocking ability is off the charts. The rest of his game is lost right now. Sima looks very timid to me, moreso than last year. He looks scared when he gets the ball. I think they got away from the strategy in the first 3 games where Lovett looked to be a true PG and floor general. I think the coaching staff needs to let him QB the offense, along with Ponds, and either get open shots or drive and dish. This is the same shit as last year. When you don't have a QB running the offense out there, it's like 5 guys running around with their heads cut off. Too much one on one right now and the staff needs to correct that with a systematic offensive gameplan.

ras

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
using our size advantage

How? By pounding it inside to Darien Williams? Even when they manage to catch a pass the bigs don't finish. 

We do have the clear talent edge over that team

Other than Ponds and Lovett what "talent" is there on this team? Sima and Yawke are potential studs but incredibly raw - I look forward to watching them dominate their opponents in a year or two. Ellison Mussini and the German stink at present and the rest of them are useless.

Obviously we are more talented than Del. St. No one in their right mind would say otherwise. Taking advantage of that talent is a different story. Yakwe clearly looks like he needs to be coached up out there. His shot blocking ability is off the charts. The rest of his game is lost right now. Sima looks very timid to me, moreso than last year. He looks scared when he gets the ball. I think they got away from the strategy in the first 3 games where Lovett looked to be a true PG and floor general. I think the coaching staff needs to let him QB the offense, along with Ponds, and either get open shots or drive and dish. This is the same shit as last year. When you don't have a QB running the offense out there, it's like 5 guys running around with their heads cut off. Too much one on one right now and the staff needs to correct that with a systematic offensive gameplan.
+1

boo3

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2016, 06:56:37 PM »
Trust the process

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
Love Zach article stating that Mullin don't care about social media laughing at SJU

Stay positive and he will get the last laugh when SJU turns the corner to becoming a winner team

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »
What needs to happen to the coaching staff?

They need to coach a roster of players that isn't collectively the youngest in Division 1.

Do any of you remember how often Lavin would tell us that?  The difference here is that Mullin doesn't make excuses after every game.  And, the youngest Lavin team still had 5x more talent than we do now.    Any of the following would be the best player on thisnteam: Harkless, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Jordan.   

It's the youngest team in college basketball, and the talent isn't overflowing!   

As freshmen? No way I take half those guys over ponds or lovett.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2016, 08:20:46 PM »
Other than Ponds and Lovett what "talent" is there on this team?

It appears that Bob Cousy Bashir has talent as a scorer.

boo3

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
Love Zach article stating that Mullin don't care about social media laughing at SJU

Stay positive and he will get the last laugh when SJU turns the corner to becoming a winner team

Of course that is Mullin's response.. has to be.. I'm sure he's still confident.

As per usual, us message board folk are over reacting  ( myself included).   Still very early in this whole process..  Have to give it a lot more time before calling for people's head, Especially Chris Mullin...

If you assumed this would be easy sledding you haven't paid attention the last 20 years..

It's hysterical that no matter who is coaching this team, the board has the same reactions..  There was never a doubt Baldi would come in hot with his annual so-in-so isn't working hard enough proclamation...  Never change

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »

Of course that is Mullin's response.. has to be.. I'm sure he's still confident.

As per usual, us message board folk are over reacting  ( myself included).   Still very early in this whole process..  Have to give it a lot more time before calling for people's head, Especially Chris Mullin...

If you assumed this would be easy sledding you haven't paid attention the last 20 years..

It's hysterical that no matter who is coaching this team, the board has the same reactions..  There was never a doubt Baldi would come in hot with his annual so-in-so isn't working hard enough proclamation...  Never change

Ya its my fault we are getting waxed

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
Norm Roberts got six years. I think we can give Mullin more than six games into his second season to figure it out.

boo3

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »

Reading comprehension....

Foad

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »
Too much one on one right now and the staff needs to correct that with a systematic offensive gameplan.

No one is going to disagree with that. But to pretend that we're running out half a dozen AAs and Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond are ruining them is silly. This is a very young team with three first year players who are pretty good. The rest of them range from mediocre to pointless.

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »

I'm not the only one saying it

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Can someone tell me what the players  did  this summer to get better?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:36:53 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »

Water safety certification?

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »

Stuff

Poison

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »

At least Lavin's players traveled over the summer.

boo3

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2016, 10:07:56 PM »

I didn't say that either...I was just saying that you say it every year... 

« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »

I didn't say that either...I was just saying that you say it every year... 

Ya us and DePaul

boo3

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »
If only Dallas Comegys was coaching DePaul...

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2016, 10:55:01 PM »
If only Dallas Comegys was coaching DePaul...

If only
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:55:33 PM by Marco Baldi »