Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies

desco80

Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
1.  Teams don't have a "big man coach".  They just have coaches.   Midgets and former point guards like Izzo, Donovan, our own Lou, and Jeff van gundy have all worked with the big men and developed plenty of centers. 

2.  It's ridiculous to conclude at this junction that Mullin was a terrible hire.   Running a program is a marathon not a sprint.

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
If Lavin did anything right, was put together a team that complimented his weaknesses: Dunlap (x o's coach), Hines (player development), Chiles (recruiter), and even when Dunlap left, he hired Whitesell. 

Mullin seems to have hired friends.  Once the season ends, if Mullin has any interest in getting better, he'd move Richmond back to special assistant and hire an experienced coach.  Move St. Jean to a complimentary role.

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
Has anybody been to practice to see what Richmond is doing.
Everybody just think he is lazy because unnamed sources said so and one person on the board says it so.
Give him a chance also - why should he be one the one calling the plays.
He is just getting his feet wet in the job - just because this one person has it in for Matt and Mitch doesn't mean its true
The guy thought Slice was so wonderful didn't bring anything to the table and Coach Cal and Dixon - seem to be doing alright with out the great recruiter.

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
Has anybody been to practice to see what Richmond is doing.
Everybody just think he is lazy because unnamed sources said so and one person on the board says it so.
Give him a chance also - why should he be one the one calling the plays.
He is just getting his feet wet in the job - just because this one person has it in for Matt and Mitch doesn't mean its true
The guy thought Slice was so wonderful didn't bring anything to the table and Coach Cal and Dixon - seem to be doing alright with out the great recruiter.

Has Richmond even been to practice?

boo3

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »
Folks already want Mullin fired or to step down? My lord, this place is too much...

There is no way he's getting fired or is stepping down.  Ridiculous..

Reality check , St. John's hasn't been good for, approaching, 20 years.  They have awful facilities and campus.  Face the facts, we are a bottom tier big east team now and have been for a while.

uwsfan

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
    Once the season ends, if Mullin has any interest in getting better, he'd move Richmond back to special assistant and hire an experienced coach.  Move St. Jean to a complimentary role.

This is what is going to have to happen in order for Mullin to succeed.
It is the most sensible and easiest move to make this offseason. If Mullin doesn't at least make this move after the season I would seriously doubt his intelligence and fitness for the job.

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
Have you been to practice - or is it from one of your unnamed sources as always.

Richmond deserve a chance to succeed I am sure Richmond is doing more than your man Slice did.
Show SJU some loyalty like you do to Iona.

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
Give the man a chance - Coach K - Struggled at first at Duke.

Bill Parcel struggled his first year with the Giants.

If in year three no improvements then decide if you want to make a change.
Show some loyalty the man he deserves that much from SJU fans.
Just because someone on the board through his unnamed sources - says he doesn't work hard doesn't make it true,

You do know Coach K and Parcells did have some coaching experience prior to becoming head coaches, right?

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
I had not heard that re: Mullin (haven't heard anything about Mitch except that the kids like him and that certain recruits and their parents/advisors are impressed obviously by his NBA credentials).

If that is true re: Mullin, I'd be bitterly disappointed.  I fought the notion for a while with our prior coach, ignoring what UCLA and fans on this board said, but it turned out to be true on Lavin, especially when it came to recruiting the last few classes.

I've always thought (and hoped) this would work because (a) Chris Mullin is clearly a great basketball mind that has been around great basketball minds forever (b) has always had the reputation of being a hard worker and (c) didn't see any scenario in which Coach took this job for a reason other than to give his all and return this program to where we think it should be.  So if what you are hearing is true, that would be both shocking and incredibly disappointing.

Until someone tells me they've heard that Mullin isn't on campus enough, or is absent from practices ... I find it hard to believe he's not working hard.   

He worked hard recruiting with Matt last summer, no?  I didn't hear any complaints that he should've been at X event and was a no-show.

Maybe he's not the right guy for the job.  We'll see.  But I'm not gonna call him lazy unless I have something to base it on.
Just because he was successful as a player doesn't mean he doesn't have the fire to win anymore.  Look at Jim Harbaugh.

What if I told you he wasn't workin hard enough?  Or if I heard that Mullin and Richomnd don't work anywhere near hard enough?

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
It is a sad, sad day to see how the faithful have turned on the legend only 6 games into his second season.

P.S.  Great to see Marco back in form firing up the masses.  Wasn't a fan of the kinder, gentlier Baldi we've seen so much of lately.

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Scheppy can you please repeat your talking points. For the thousandth time.  ::)

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Scheppy can you please repeat your talking points. For the thousandth time.  ::)

Isn't it cute watching him trying to convince himself?

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
Answer to the question Re: Coaching staff...what needs to happen? They need to have an epiphany. But I am afraid even that might not be enough.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
I'm sure the current staff could learn whatever they need on their own by next year.
I have stopped watching this season (can only handle so much negativity) and didn't see the Del St. game, but I assume the staff was once again too stubborn to play zone. Embracing the zone and utilizing  multiple defensive looks will go a long way IMO. I've expressed the zone concern since the start of last year.

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
I'm sure the current staff could learn whatever they need on their own by next year.
I have stopped watching this season (can only handle so much negativity) and didn't see the Del St. game, but I assume the staff was once again too stubborn to play zone. Embracing the zone and utilizing  multiple defensive looks will go a long way IMO. I've expressed the zone concern since the start of last year.
I agree and disagree.  I think in theory zone is a good idea.  however, the lack of basketball iq and any semblance of a system leads me to believe that this team's zone might be even more of a disaster than its man. that said, they're losing to delaware state, so might as well try. they also look ok applying pressure, so dropping into a zone would work. also, the guards rebound better than the bigs, which is good for a zone, so a lot of merit to at least trying it out

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »
It's not as easy as some are making it out to be here. You don't just pickup a basketball 101 book and learn how to coach. If it was that easy, there'd be many more people getting into the coaching business.

Sure the staff can learn to implement a better system on offense and defense but they really need to understand it and make it part of their core philosophy. Mullin does not have an experienced X's and O's guy on the current staff. Until they shake up the staff do not expect resuts to improve dramatically. That's insanity and we all know the definition of that. And to think, I thought Lavin was a bad in-game coach until this current regime.

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
I still hold to my initial belief. I get people on here have commented and it might be true that Marc Jackson does not have a great relationship with the school at this point. However, I still believe that a call should have at least been made to him or tried to patch things up and considered him for the HC role when Lav was let go. Alum and experienced coach in the NBA. Would have built a staff and kids would have respected him for helping build the Warriors.  If the boosters can fund the bill for Mullin, why could they not for an experienced coach (even if not Marc)?

No excuse at all with this team to lose to Delaware State. I barely could handle shutout in Atlantis. This team needed an experienced coach to take the team forward. We are in danger of missing NIT with this type of play, which imo is going 2 steps backward. This team had the talent to at least make that this year. Hopefully the team will get better- only thing that is a saving grace is the stacked transfers coming in next year.

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
Celtics 11 - instead of kissing Baldi - ass like you always do - show some loyalty to SJU.

I notice if Baldi says something you always agree - I notice if he mentions Iona - you are the first one to stick up for him.
Quit kissing his ass and ask Mr. Unnamed sources - where is he getting his information from.
Just because your hero hates this coaching staff because - Slice didn't do anything show some loyalty to SJU.
You and him should be ashamed of yourselves calling Matt - Little Napolen - who is working his ass of for SJU
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:29:10 PM by Scheppy »

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 04:41:57 PM »
Coach Lapchick never coached before he got here. He told me he was uncomfortable in his role for the full first season but he was successful right from the start.  Looie had great training at St. Ann's and with Coach Lapchick but was very average for many years until he went to the pros and returned. The tournament winning for Coach Lou's first 8-9 years was done only by Coach Mulzoff in Lou's absence. We did do tourneys but always one and done.in a then, much smaller world.
Coach Boeheim had no prior experience when he came to SU. He was a really lousy coach for years feasting on a div.2 schedule until Pearl Washington came along and made it easy for him to coach. He admits as much now in public.
There really is no rigid  formula for prior experience producing success.  Coach Mullin has a great attitude and superior training as a human being. He should make it; you gotta be patient.
I agree with some of you on the absence of trying the  zone or even a zone press in the last game; . With our quickness we should be able to produce many more stops and steals and mayhem on defense in most games.  With the big guys, you just have to wait.  Except for 1 or maybe 2, they play without any sense but big guys always do that for a year or two.  Let's win at Tulane and start over, again..

desco80

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »
What needs to happen to the coaching staff?

They need to coach a roster of players that isn't collectively the youngest in Division 1.

Do any of you remember how often Lavin would tell us that?  The difference here is that Mullin doesn't make excuses after every game.  And, the youngest Lavin team still had 5x more talent than we do now.    Any of the following would be the best player on thisnteam: Harkless, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Jordan.   

It's the youngest team in college basketball, and the talent isn't overflowing!