Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies
Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
Baldi - I would like to know your sources - but I am sure them or you have never been to practice - to see what Richmond is doing.

I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt until the end of year 3 and if no progress then I feel a change should happen.
But I have to admit you sure know talent you were right about Richardson being the steal of the draft he is the only number one draft pick averaging over 25 points a game in the D-League.
What other first round pick is doing that

Marillac

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
I hate to support Baldi,however Mullin's coaching skills have been questioned privately by the basketball community even as far back as last year. His problems with Slice over how to run a D 1 Program hasn't helped Chris. I had a top Basketball Ref (Champion Games) tell me " Mullin has no F ing clue on how to run a D1 Program. I'm afraid if things don't turn around quickly the Media will not be kind.

I think all reasonable posters understood that Mullin had no clue how to run a program. How could he?  I still think he and his staff can learn, but you only do that through trial and error and making mistakes. Why not bring in a special assistant like Pete Gillen or Dave Margarity (current Army Womens coach)?

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
Brining in an experienced coach will absolutely help the situation! But we are going to pay a head coach 2 million, a fired assistant 500 thousand, another coach like Pete gillen who couldn't cut it in the big east 500 thousand. Plus much Richmond 500, 000. That makes sense?
You guys love mullin that much? Paying guys 3 million to not coach basketball seems high. Plus they need a babysitter

Foad

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »
Brining in an experienced coach will absolutely help the situation! But we are going to pay a head coach 2 million, a fired assistant 500 thousand, another coach like Pete gillen who couldn't cut it in the big east 500 thousand. Plus much Richmond 500, 000. That makes sense?
You guys love mullin that much? Paying guys 3 million to not coach basketball seems high. Plus they need a babysitter

Maybe if you yelled louder at the games that would help. Use the magic that made you such a successful CYO coach to help out poor Chris Mullin.

« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:32 AM »
I have never seen a fan base so concerned with what the assistant coaches do day to day. If they had a reality show following around every guy who was ever an assistant coach the only one I would watch would be the Rico Hines episode.

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
Bring Tim O'Toole back as an assistant, would help us implement the zone.

Johnny23

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
Where's Digger Phelps when you need him!

boo3

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
 Never been the same since Al Labalbo left us....

SJUFAN

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »
Think the staff needs the fan base to chill out. The talent isn't here yet. Lets get a front line that can catch a pass, rebound the ball, and be an offensive threat and then judge them. I think many players would like to play in his system. It gives players an opportunity to show case their talents. This is a 3-4 year rebuild. Need to be patient. There is some concern on the defensive side of the ball but I don't want to say the staff doesn't have a clue. Mullin has plenty of support, its not just who is on the staff, he isn't doing this by himself. He's smart enough to reach out to others. Change isn't instantaneous.

Poison

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
Think the staff needs the fan base to chill out. The talent isn't here yet. Lets get a front line that can catch a pass, rebound the ball, and be an offensive threat and then judge them. I think many players would like to play in his system. It gives players an opportunity to show case their talents. This is a 3-4 year rebuild. Need to be patient. There is some concern on the defensive side of the ball but I don't want to say the staff doesn't have a clue. Mullin has plenty of support, its not just who is on the staff, he isn't doing this by himself. He's smart enough to reach out to others. Change isn't instantaneous.

They don't have to make the tournament in his second year, but improvement needs to be there and it needs to be clear that Mullin has an actual system. An attractive one because he wants scorers, but also one that knows how to win in the BE. Yakwe was good last year. What happened to him? Our players are regressing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:44:18 PM by Poison »

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Baldi - I would like to know your sources - but I am sure them or you have never been to practice - to see what Richmond is doing.

I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt until the end of year 3 and if no progress then I feel a change should happen.
But I have to admit you sure know talent you were right about Richardson being the steal of the draft he is the only number one draft pick averaging over 25 points a game in the D-League.
What other first round pick is doing that

With every post, Johnnyjungle loses posters. The human condom

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »

Pete Gillen couldn't cut it in the Big East?  He made the Elite 8 and lost in OT to eventual champs Arizona in 97. He also went to the NCAA tournament 7 times in 9 years at Xavier before that, going 202-75!

He's from Brooklyn and his 96-97 team was very similar to our roster now. Rueben Garces, Austin Croshere, Jamell Thomas, and God Shamgod are all similar to what Sima, RF, Clark, and Lovett could be with development.

goredmen

« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »

We have SIGNIFICANTLY more talent than Delaware St

« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

Yup, losing to a Big East team is one thing but to lose to Delaware St, ODU, Inc. Wood and D-2 teams is inexcusable.

SJUFAN

« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »

Yet our "talent" shot 32% from 3 and their "talent" shot 53% from 3. Our "talent" couldn't score against them. That isn't coaching....that's lack of talent. This isn't a running and jumping contest. Its basketball which requires skill. Now don't get me wrong I do have concerns. While running and jumping may not necessarily translate into good offense it damn sure could translate into great defense. And although some of our players lateral movement can improve we can't allow Del St. to shoot damn near 60%! That is unacceptable and that is on the staff. The defense must play better and I'm concerned that the staff will only provide lip service with respect to the defense and still spend most of their practice time on offense. I don't know if the staff believes in emphasizing defense, it doesn't appear like it. Similar to the Knicks putting Rambis in charge of the defense. That's a joke.

Johnny23

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »

Yet our "talent" shot 32% from 3 and their "talent" shot 53% from 3. Our "talent" couldn't score against them. That isn't coaching....that's lack of talent. This isn't a running and jumping contest. Its basketball which requires skill. Now don't get me wrong I do have concerns. While running and jumping may not necessarily translate into good offense it damn sure could translate into great defense. And although some of our players lateral movement can improve we can't allow Del St. to shoot damn near 60%! That is unacceptable and that is on the staff. The defense must play better and I'm concerned that the staff will only provide lip service with respect to the defense and still spend most of their practice time on offense. I don't know if the staff believes in emphasizing defense, it doesn't appear like it. Similar to the Knicks putting Rambis in charge of the defense. That's a joke.

Against Del. St. we should not be shooting 3's all game. We should be penetrating, using our size advantage and forcing them to foul instead of playing right into their hands. We do have the clear talent edge over that team and we did nothing to take advantage of it. That is coaching.

ras

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
This fan base saw the difference Dunlap made w Lavin. We saw a top assistant cover up coaching difficiencies. But as a previous poster said ,there is only so much severence pay SJU could afford.

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Lets see how the year plays out -maybe the time conference starts they can be jelling.

Foad

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »
using our size advantage

How? By pounding it inside to Darien Williams? Even when they manage to catch a pass the bigs don't finish.   

We do have the clear talent edge over that team

Other than Ponds and Lovett what "talent" is there on this team? Sima and Yawke are potential studs but incredibly raw - I look forward to watching them dominate their opponents in a year or two. Ellison Mussini and the German stink at present and the rest of them are useless.

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
using our size advantage

How? By pounding it inside to Darien Williams? Even when they manage to catch a pass the bigs don't finish.   

We do have the clear talent edge over that team

Other than Ponds and Lovett what "talent" is there on this team? Sima and Yawke are potential studs but incredibly raw - I look forward to watching them dominate their opponents in a year or two. Ellison Mussini and the German stink at present and the rest of them are useless.

I think Sima has a ceiling. Right now he is ok simply because of his size. He is not a freak athlete, just kind of long.
Yakwe and Ahmed are the keys to us being better than last year and thus showing tangible progress