Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S

• 214 replies
Re: Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
So...many...guards.

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
So...many...guards.
Assuming Lovett leaves, we'll have 5 guards.  That's pretty good balance.

MCNPA

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
So...many...guards.
Assuming Lovett leaves, we'll have 5 guards.  That's pretty good balance.

Can never have too many talented guards.  They are the engine that drives most teams.  We will have forwards and centers as well..

goredmen

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
Really liking the roster for next year. If ponds and/or Lovett stay(s) we are a very good team.

Still need a true 5 that can play with his back to the basket, but a nice foundation in place otherwise

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »
we must be the only fan base that has people complain after landing a 4 star player

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
We might be becoming Guard U like Penn State was Linebacker U back in the day. Imagine a back court of Dixon, Williams, Simon, Trimble and hopefully Ponds and or Lovett? Front court of Diakite, Keita, Roberts, Owens and maybe Yakwe sticks around?

Bring in Mike Rice as assistant HC, and now we are talking.

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
We might be becoming Guard U like Penn State was Linebacker U back in the day. Imagine a back court of Dixon, Williams, Simon, Trimble and hopefully Ponds and or Lovett? Front court of Diakite, Keita, Roberts, Owens and maybe Yakwe sticks around?

You don't like Clarke? Plus always the possibility AliB gets hurt, is granted a medical redshirt and wonder of wonders we have him for another year.  :crazy2:

redslope

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
It seems like a long time since we have signed players in the early period.  At last the staff will not be running around in spring looking for leftovers/Euro's. Can be selective if there is an opening.   As to too many guards, I think both Lovett and Ponds may test the waters

Johnny23

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
Solid get.

By those lazy arrogant sons of bitches

Yeah now the slackers need to get rid of Yakwe and bring in one more quality big.

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
Solid get.

Yeah now the slackers need to get rid of Yakwe and bring in one more quality big.
. I think a versatile small forward will be more in need, as we are losing Bashir, and won’t jave any scoring wings besides Simon on roster.  I still think we will have at least two schollies if not more.  We will have Owens, Keita, Roberts, Clark for 4/5 which should be enough.  We will need a wing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:06:47 PM by MCNPA »

Johnny23

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Solid get.

. I think a versatile small forward will be more in need, as we are losing Bashir, and won’t jave any scoring wings besides Simon on roster.  I still think we will have at least two schollies if not more.  We will have Owens, Keita, Roberts, Clark for 4/5 which should be enough.  We will need a wing.

I think Clark can play some small forward too and be a mismatch strength wise. If we have two schollies left then we definitely should add another big as well. Can never have enough big bodies.

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
Solid get.

Clark and trimble will have no trouble playing some 3 behind simon who figures to get max minutes there.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
Solid get.

I think Clark can play some small forward too and be a mismatch strength wise. If we have two schollies left then we definitely should add another big as well. Can never have enough big bodies.

Personally I think we have enough big bodies entering next year, with at minimum already 2 more plus Owens etc.  SF is one of the most important positions.  A wing that can stretch defenses is huge.  Sedee and Eoberts plus Owens, Clark etc should be more than enough notmto feel a disadvantage, size-wise etc.   we can’t enter season without a scoring wing of some type.  Balance is important.

« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
Welcome Greg!!

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

You don't like Clarke? Plus always the possibility AliB gets hurt, is granted a medical redshirt and wonder of wonders we have him for another year.  :crazy2:
Oops, forgot about Clark, sorry!

« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
What odds do we put at the following next year ???

6 eligible guards all in uniform (Williams, Trimble, Dixon, Ponds, Lovett, Simon)
Lovett going overseas
Ponds drafted

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:24:59 PM by RedStormNC »

ras

« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
I think Lovett leaves and Ponds stays. We will see.  Have to prepare for departures. Even if they both leave we will have Simon, Trimble,Williams and Dixon. But, obviously would hate to see them both depart. If Lovett leaves and Ponds stay we will still have nice depth  and talent w our guards.

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
Welcome Greg!

My view is to worry after the season who turns pro.  We are smartly acquiring depth at the guard position in case one of our talented neophytes makes a decision to take the jump.  Who knows - we may be pleasantly surprised.  I was all but certain that Angel Delgado was leaving the Hall after last season - and had some fairly reputable sources tell me that -- and he came back, launching the Hall into a top 25 team.  My focus is on results this season, and I'm confident that our staff will stay diligent on the recruiting front so that we have some options, if needed, come spring 2018.

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
My view is to worry after the season who turns pro.

Concur. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:15:04 AM by mjdinkins »