Matt A

• 695 replies

Moose

Re: Matt A
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
My favorite is now every idiot on Twitter is tweeting Matt like he is a 5 star recruit.   Or worse yet like it matters 

SMH

If he wasn't a grad fans wouldn't genuflect like they do with him. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Time to clean up the mess that is Slice's contract and put our resources into staff that is actually working for St. John's.  Matt is a St. John's guy who wants to be at St. John's (and a diehard Mets' fan who'd much rather follow them from Queens than from Baton Rouge), but it's got to be galling to be running around the country as a one man recruiting squad for minor assistant's money while Slice pulls in the big bucks for sitting on his ass at home. Time to clean up that mess.

"Minor assistants money"?? Guy is making 250k here per year. That is not minor money for an assistant.

Listen, I will never fault someone for wanting to better their financial situation for themselves and their family, but I also can't blame SJU for being hesitant to give him a raise.  He has no doubt done a pretty nice job but team hasn't won anything yet.  Add to that the fact that Mullin took Matt's voice over Slice during that whole ordeal.

250 is low number.  It's more

wpc77

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »
This is amateur hour, I would call his bluff if leveraging. Zach trying to get a percentage of Matt's raise with these absurdly obvious tweets lmao, he's just finding this out cmon.

Zach trying to get a percentage?
More like I say jump and he says how high

exactly.  This is Zach following orders as to how to tell the story Matt wants told.

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »
I don't get the logic of some of you guys.

If Matt gets an offer from LSU see how much it is and decide if you want to match. Happens in any profession.

I personally don't think it would be much more than his current salary (but cost of living much lower) and I'd much rather keep him here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Anyone see some of his recent Twitter follows :)

« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »

I think he started following Brandon Sampson and the LSU AD Joe Alleva uh oh...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:19:20 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

LSU beat writers?

Moose

« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »

I think he started following Brandon Sampson and the LSU AD Joe Allegany, uh oh...

How does Brandon feel that he once followed, then unfollowed, now followed again.

Is this 3rd grade?

wpc77

« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »

I think he started following Brandon Sampson and the LSU AD Joe Allegany, uh oh...

How does Brandon feel that he once followed, then unfollowed, now followed again.

Is this 3rd grade?

Answer - YES.  In no other profession can you make the dollars college assistant coaches do while at the same time acting like a kid.  Well, except perhaps the presidency.

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Should Matt leave, his replacement could be Mike Rice or GW asst Hajj Turner. Tarik's brother

« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »
Imagine Rice yelling at our lack of effort players

https://youtu.be/Mtf6eWtGWh0

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Why are people throwing out Mike Rice's name? He is not what the program needs. I can only imagine what opposing coaches would say to recruits we are competing for. Just bad optics.

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
That's fair.  Everyone is free to do what they think is best for their family, and usually $ plays a substantial factor in that decision.  But if you are as vocal as Matt has been about St. John's, and leave after two years to go to a place like LSU, you best be prepared for a disgruntled fan base.  Even if the money is life-changing, which it won't.

I'd much prefer continuity with the staff, so I hope he stays.  I think he's done a good job bringing in the kids we have under the circumstances, with 2018 being an absolutely vital class.  And if an assistant is going to be re-shuffled or jettisoned, I would think Richmond is the better candidate, although I have no knowledge of the staff's inner-workings.

I also know that two good posters on this site and others have made it no secret that they dislike Matt and believe it isn't a loss if he leaves. 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If Matt gets an offer from LSU see how much it is and decide if you want to match. Happens in any profession.

I personally don't think it would be much more than his current salary (but cost of living much lower) and I'd much rather keep him here.

SJUFAN

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

Exactly. I would be more worried if no one wants people from our staff. It's the nature of the game. Pay the man what he is worth and there will be no issues. I think this is a non story.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:30:09 PM by SJUFAN »

goredmen

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Should Matt leave, his replacement could be Mike Rice or GW asst Hajj Turner. Tarik's brother

Shouldn't Mike Rice be in the mix regardless if Matt leaves or stays, assuming he doesn't get a head coaching job somewhere?

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »

Shouldn't Mike Rice be in the mix regardless if Matt leaves or stays, assuming he doesn't get a head coaching job somewhere?

Rice might be a little too  rough around the edges for this fan base. And some of the primadonnas on the court

goredmen

« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »

Rice might be a little too  rough around the edges for this fan base. And some of the primadonnas on the court

That's exactly what this program needs imo

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

That's exactly what this program needs imo

Yes sir. Some fire in the huddle and at practice

« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Why the love for Mike Rice?  The guy made the Rutgers basketball program look bad and thats hard to do.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

goredmen

« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
Why the love for Mike Rice?  The guy made the Rutgers basketball program look bad and thats hard to do.

He's a good coach that knows the game and can help with recruiting. Seems like his HS players love him and that he's turned a corner. Plus, as an Assistant a blind eye won't be turned to any possible transgressions of his