Matt A

• 695 replies

MCNPA

Re: Matt A
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
Johnny 23, I totally disagree.   We are playing well andbhave enough X's and O's.  Talent is everything.  We need a guy that can get on the road and help Matt out.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
If the money is right, Matt should stay here. Let's be honest, as good as he is with recruiting, he is not on a head coaching trajectory for his career. He's got a good chance of being the official first assistant and "associate head coach" here and who knows after Mullin retires. Right or wrong, you just don't see 5'3 head coaches...ever.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:03:34 AM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »
Johnny 23, I totally disagree.   We are playing well andbhave enough X's and O's.  Talent is everything.  We need a guy that can get on the road and help Matt out.

We agree to disagree then. Talent isn't everything. You still need coaching. If talent was everything, then you wouldn't see mid majors knock off vastly more talented teams every single year in the tourney.

It's a combination of both. We are still lacking in the X's an O's dept. Our defense doesn't play as a unit much of the time and we continue to need the coaches to teach our guys the fundamentals like boxing out and moving without the ball Also what's to say Matt can't handle the recruiting on his own? You really just need one very good recruiter. He can use Richmond or another asst if he's shorthanded.

I think a good bench coach is more critical to this team as Matt can manage the recruiting dept. just fine. Not to mention Mullin who is a major asset in recruiting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:11:10 AM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
Maybe St. Jean has aspirations to get to the NBA. Or maybe he wants to become the youngest head coach in NCAA history and hunts a really low job. Or maybe even he is assistant who gets advisory/DOBO title. 

I have no idea to what Richmond actually does or doesnt do but in general I like the idea of having him as a full time assistant because in theory if used right he could have major impact with his gravitas or what have you being in gyms and using relationships as well as working directly with players. Bring Rice
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »
No reason why Richmond and/or Mullin can't hit the local gyms with Matt or give him a break once in awhile.

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
No reason why Richmond and/or Mullin can't hit the local gyms with Matt or give him a break once in awhile.

Yup

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
Didn't we just give up 110 points?

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Didn't we just give up 110 points?
Defense is overrated. All we needed to do was score 111 and we would have won.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »
This is a fun speculative thread, but in reality I think it's  a very long shot for him to leave, even if someone offers more money.  1. If is an SJU guy so there is strong loyalty to the school...He love Iowa State and one of the big reasons that he left was Mullin and SJU came calling...SJU finally started to take basketball serious again. 2. He would at this poin almost cripple SJU if he left now. That would be a cruel move to go back home just to leave the school in a bad position and stop all positive momentum. It was also really screw over Mullin. 3. If he can make SJU great again AND consistently great he could pretty much go anywhere he would want....Even if the school does not become successful he has already shown he can recruit great classes to schools that struggle.

I think he's here for at least 3-4 more years if not longer...Not counting that him and Mullin have a falling out for some reason. I can see this scenario if next year is a disappointing season. I would still find this HIGHLY UNLIKELY...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2017, 10:32:38 PM »
Minus the Zach Brown fiasco, it's been eight months since we've had a commitment (Diakite).

Less a likely grad transfer/JUCO or unknown HS senior for next year, it will likely be a while before we get a commitment of any substance. When Matt gets a few more verbals for '18/'19 things will settle down but that will likely be a while, which will only make the rumors grow in the short term.

I can't imagine he has an easy job on selling the program.

Let's support him.  I hope he's here for a long time.

goredmen

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 11:50:27 PM »

Agree, I'm not nearly as connected as other but from what I've heard Mullin either hates recruiting, isn't good at it, or both

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
Showing up at a gym for games where other head coaches are also at isn't that hard...

It's not like Mullin is being asked to pull a Jim Harbaugh and have sleepovers on the floor of a recruits house and dunk Oreo's together.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:29:25 AM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 01:09:57 AM »

I don't think anyone cares they do it. I know I don't. You have 12 wins in year two. You better win another game, or you are Norm Roberts.

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
Well, today is his birthday.

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
Corey Evans of Rivals says SJU is poised to have a big 2018 class, lots of effort being put in by Matt:

BIG EAST: ST. JOHN'S

The rebuild in Queens has taken the next step in recent weeks as St. John’s has gone on a quick run in Big East play, displaying just how close that they are to a berth in the NCAA Tournament come next season.

Having little need in the 2017 recruiting class, the Red Storm threw most of their attention into the 2018 crop. Their locale has provided for some of the nation's top prospects.
Already on board is Boubacar Diakite, a 6-foot-8, versatile and high-upside forward who plays for the same high school program that shot blocking sensation Kassoum Yakwe once suited up for. Several more could be ready to join Diakite as Chris Mullin and his staff have laid down the proper foundation in recruiting such others as top-100 prospects Luther Muhammad, Isaiah Mucius, Khalid Moore, Naz Reid and Lou King. A commitment from any of the group would come as no surprise.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/conference-wrap-programs-off-to-fast-starts-in-2018-recruiting?utm_content=bufferf4182&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
Hearing Will Wade has a good shot at one of these high major jobs currently open and will make it a priority to get Matt with him wherever he lands.

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
Hearing Will Wade has a good shot at one of these high major jobs currently open and will make it a priority to get Matt with him wherever he lands.
Hello Tim Hardaway? Maybe Terrance? If Matt leaves it better be for a big pay increase otherwise he doesn't love ST J's as much as we thought or doesn't think our future is very bright. Would hope and think he stays.

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »

No kidding

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
Mike rice

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »
Once again Baldi on point
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:45:19 PM by Marco Baldi »