Transfer wish list

• 411 replies

derk

Re: Transfer wish list
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Per Julius Kim
Miami (OH) freshman PG transfer Michael Weathers has heard from: Miami (FL), St. John's, GW, Creighton, Tulsa, & Valpo, he tells me.

Paultz,

Any ideas (guesses ) who will be our first signee and when. Are we closer with anyone above the others ?

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:05 AM »
Per Julius Kim
Miami (OH) freshman PG transfer Michael Weathers has heard from: Miami (FL), St. John's, GW, Creighton, Tulsa, & Valpo, he tells me.

Paultz,

Any ideas (guesses ) who will be our first signee and when. Are we closer with anyone above the others ?

Just hearing a solid player, but no specific guy. We should hear something on visits soon.

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
Looks like we are targeting both Kiss and Dixon from Quinnipiac
Both Freshman and both leading scorers for a 10 win team last season.

I'm guessing the allure of playing together again will be strong

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »

Guess we aren't comfortable in that 18 class

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

I thought we weren't supposed to save scholarships, we were supposed to recruit over guys like big boy programs do. No more?

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

I thought we weren't supposed to save scholarships, we were supposed to recruit over guys like big boy programs do. No more?

So you consider "recruiting over" from a team that finished 8th in the MAAC?

goredmen

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »

Last week in the Matt A thread you were asked where scholarships were going to come from. You said "You recruit over players, like big boy programs do". Now you are worried that we won't have any scholarships left for 2018. Ok.

Matt is going out and trying to get all the talent that he can and the scholarship stuff will work itself out when the time comes. We are going to have at least 3 players transfer from the team this offseason. That is not an anomaly. That is now the norm in college basketball. If these kids from Quinnipiac will help, make room and bring them in, which is what the staff is doing. The same will happen with 2018 recruits.

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »

Last week in the Matt A thread you were asked where scholarships were going to come from. You said "You recruit over players, like big boy programs do". Now you are worried that we won't have any scholarships left for 2018. Ok.

Matt is going out and trying to get all the talent that he can and the scholarship stuff will work itself out when the time comes. We are going to have at least 3 players transfer from the team this offseason. That is not an anomaly. That is now the norm in college basketball. If these kids from Quinnipiac will help, make room and bring them in, which is what the staff is doing. The same will happen with 2018 recruits.

The problem is, is that the kids from Quinnipiac will make the team better.

goredmen

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

Yeah, picking up solid transfers from low majors is a terrible idea. It's not like the only elite 8 team from our conference had a transfer from Florida A&M and a transfer from Norfolk St contribute this year. Oh wait...

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »

I don't see how that is a problem since a kid from Colorado St and a kid from Nebraska (two schools who did nothing last year) made Syracuse (a Final Four team last year) better this year than they would have been otherwise. 

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »

Yeah, picking up solid transfers from low majors is a terrible idea. It's not like the only elite 8 team from our conference had a transfer from Florida A&M and a transfer from Norfolk St contribute this year. Oh wait...

I am siding with Bluto on this one. My friend sat the bench for Quinnipiac and I would not have wanted him to play for ST John's. I have to think that Williams, Amar and especially Ellison would be Quinnipiac's best players.
I have no problem "trimming the fat" but not if you are just going to bring in more fat.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:18:52 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
I do believe there players from smaller schools who can certainly help a high-major, as been proven.  I'm gonna surmise Baldi is saying, they must not feel comfortable with many of their 2018 targets.  I could wrong, but that's my assumption.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:28:00 PM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »

I am siding with Bluto on this one. My friend sat the bench for Quinnipiac and I would not have wanted him to play for ST John's. I have to think that Williams, Amar and especially Ellison would be Quinnipiac's best players.
I have no problem "trimming the fat" but not if you are just going to bring in more fat.

I don't want Quinnipiac's bench players playing for St. John's either. But their two best players that were both Freshmen this past season who will sit a year and then have 3 more years left will probably be solid players here.

By your logic Florida shouldn't have taken in Canyon Barry. Xavier shouldn't have taken Malcolm Bernard and Rashid Gaston. Villanova shouldn't have taken Paschall. Creighton shouldn't have taken Mo Watson. I could keep going, but you get the point. Are the two Quinnipiac players as good as any of these guys mentioned? Maybe not, but you don't pass on them just because they were under-recruited and had to play a year at Quinnipiac before people noticed they were any good

QuanMan

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
Which 2018 package deal would you rather have?

A.) Weathers twins
B.) Kiss and Dixon
C.) Empty 2018 cupboard and shoot for tri-state stars Moses/Luther/Naz etc.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »

I don't want Quinnipiac's bench players playing for St. John's either. But their two best players that were both Freshmen this past season who will sit a year and then have 3 more years left will probably be solid players here.

By your logic Florida shouldn't have taken in Canyon Barry. Xavier shouldn't have taken Malcolm Bernard and Rashid Gaston. Villanova shouldn't have taken Paschall. Creighton shouldn't have taken Mo Watson. I could keep going, but you get the point. Are the two Quinnipiac players as good as any of these guys mentioned? Maybe not, but you don't pass on them just because they were under-recruited and had to play a year at Quinnipiac before people noticed they were any good

All I am saying is until proven otherwise I am not too excited about two guys from Quinnipiac.

goredmen

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

All I am saying is until proven otherwise I am not too excited about two guys from Quinnipiac.

I'm not excited about them like I would be a Marcus Evans for example, but good players are good players no matter where they come from.

That said, Dixon has far better numbers pretty much across the board in the advanced metrics than Kiss but Kiss seems to be slightly more sought after probably because he's 3 inches taller. We'll see how it shakes out
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:01:29 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »

I'm not excited about them like I would be a Marcus Evans for example, but good players are good players no matter where they come from.

That said, Dixon has far better numbers pretty much across the board in the advanced metrics than Kiss but Kiss seems to be slightly higher sought after probably because he's 3 inches taller. We'll see how it shakes out

Ive seen both a few times and they had a huge green light. Coach trying to save job and just a bad team. Not saying that's a bad thing, but numbers may be a little warped

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
I would be more excited for a transfer from a good school that did not p[lay much then a transfer from a small school that had inflated stats. I am pretty excited for Simon / Clark.  I would have zero excitement if say Jordan Washington had a year of eligibility left and was coming here to play. ;)

goredmen

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
Ive seen both a few times and they had a huge green light. Coach trying to save job and just a bad team. Not saying that's a bad thing, but numbers may be a little warped

Sounds about right. Their shooting %s should go up if they go to a place where they can be more selective with their shots, although Dixon's %s were decent. I wonder if this is a package deal or not

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
I would be more excited for a transfer from a good school that did not p[lay much then a transfer from a small school that had inflated stats. I am pretty excited for Simon / Clark.  I would have zero excitement if say Jordan Washington had a year of eligibility left and was coming here to play. ;)

Ha. Washington would have ate Yakwe's lunch and then used Owens as his toothpick