Alex Yetna - PF - PSA - SOUTH FLORIDA

• 87 replies

paultzman

Re: Alex Yetna
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
IK and Yetna both look like they would be fine additions to the roster next year.

Likely get one.

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Any sense which one we have better shot with? I think Kante is more traditional PF

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 01:53:35 PM »
Well, of the two, Kante is the only one that can really play in the post as a center at times.  Yetna purely a PF.

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
Any sense which one we have better shot with? I think Kante is more traditional PF

Kante apparently

Poison

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
Well, of the two, Kante is the only one that can really play in the post as a center at times.  Yetna purely a PF.

I don't think there is such a thing as purely a PF in college. If Yetna comes here, he'll play some center. He'll probably play a lot of center.

Johnny23

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
We need bangers who can rebound and score around the hoop. Doesn't matter what their official position is listed as.

cjfish

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
He won't be too much of a banger at 205lbs....another guy who needs pizza and the weight room

QuanMan

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
He won't be too much of a banger at 205lbs....another guy who needs pizza and the weight room

Kante will be answering that. Don't forget another summer of Kassoum hitting the weights and Marv patrolling the paint next year. In addition we're rumored for two grad transfer bigs. The nation needs to have some patience.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

205 is not big but I wouldn't get too caught up in what his weight is. Tariq scraps and mixes it up on both ends and he's barely 200 lbs. Girth definitely helps but Yetna looks wiry strong enough. My question is does he actually have the instinct and determination to be a good rebounder and post scorer.

I'd rather have a 230 lb'er every day of the week but we're not in a position to be choosy this late in the game. As long as the guy we get is active underneath that's all that matters.

Moose

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »

Kante will be answering that. Don't forget another summer of Kassoum hitting the weights and Marv patrolling the paint next year. In addition we're rumored for two grad transfer bigs. The nation needs to have some patience.

Patience?
Ha
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Per Corey Evans Yetna ,has committed to South Florida

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »

Yakwe has troubling lifting since his hands are exponentially harder than iron.

Foad

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
Per Corey Evans Yetna ,has committed to South Florida

Once again, the magic eight ball says "ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES" when it comes to Jasilionustien II. Come to me you seven foot two slab o' euro beef.

Foad

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »

Yakwe's hand were fine as a freshman. Last year he spent too much time thinking. BY next fall he will have had enough time to think about thinking. Prediction: Yakwe turns it around.

Marillac

Re: Alex Yetna - PF - PSA - SOUTH FLORIDA
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »

Yakwe's hand were fine as a freshman. Last year he spent too much time thinking. BY next fall he will have had enough time to think about thinking. Prediction: Yakwe turns it around.

Were Yakwe's hands fine as a frosh? We didn't have anyone driving and dishing to him like Lovett and Ponds. I remember his short stint being lobs and putback drinks with some short drives mixed in.

I don't think we can rely on anything more than 10 minutes and five fouls from him.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »

Were Yakwe's hands fine as a frosh? We didn't have anyone driving and dishing to him like Lovett and Ponds. I remember his short stint being lobs and putback drinks with some short drives mixed in.

I don't think we can rely on anything more than 10 minutes and five fouls from him.

Last year he averaged 20 minutes and less than three fouls, which was a 20 percent reduction in fouls from the year before in as many minutes in what should have been his freshmen year in college. Ten minutes and five fouls would be a regression for the ages.

He regressed last year, no question. Visually he regressed a lot. Statistically he regressed not that much. Again, to me he looks like he's doing too much thinking. He needs to stop thinking. And he needs to rebound better, no question. He also needs not to be asked to guard Angel Delgado and Justin Patton and Sean O'Mara and Luke Fischer and all the other things he was asked to do because the roster was deficient. 

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
Yawke was one of the fastest climbers of the class of 2016 before he reclassified.  Was the MVP of the prestigious Peach Jam.  He's a stud.  No doubt he regressed some last year.   But it is not too much to ask that he gets back on the upward plane his physical talents and freshman year promised.

If this staff does their job he should be a legitimate high level BE forward.

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »
Yawke was one of the fastest climbers of the class of 2016 before he reclassified.  Was the MVP of the prestigious Peach Jam.  He's a stud.  No doubt he regressed some last year.   But it is not too much to ask that he gets back on the upward plane his physical talents and freshman year promised.

IMO he shows no signs of being a quality BE player, or developing. There's no excuse for his rebounding totals. I'd love to be wrong.

wpc77

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »

Absolutely right.  But who the f is the 4/5 coach? The 24 year old?

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »

Absolutely right.  But who the f is the 4/5 coach? The 24 year old?

Who is Coach K's 4/5 coach??  Jeff Capel?  Jon Scheyer?  The idea that you need a big man or big man coach to specifically coach big men is a myth.  That doesn't mean SJU couldn't use a staff shakeup, maybe it does.  I did hear things could be moving in that direction.  But what you need is a staff of competent people who know basketball, period.

But either way, Chris and his staff get paid handsomely and it's their job.  There is plenty of basketball knowledge on that staff to get it done.  Not to mention it is  their job.

On a larger note the biggest gripe I have is not that they did not bring in a grad transfer big man, people are acting like it is as simple as that.  There were only a handful of real worthy grad transfers, most of them were guards and swing men and most were probably out of reach for SJU.  The gripe was taking a chance on Zach Brown instead of locking up French.  But even then French wasn't going to be the type of impact that Brown could be so it may have been worth the risk because that leads me to my larger point, 2018 and beyond.

It is clear that SJU is going to be all over the country this summer trying to lock up a 2018 class that is balanced and strong.  They believe, I actually believe it to, that the next season will be good and that the type of recruiting class they are lining up for 2018 and beyond will push SJU onto Villanova's level.