2017-18 Schedule

• 178 replies

MCNPA

Re: 2017-18 Schedule
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
I think it's fine to play a few less at msg this season.  Main thing is winning.  If we have a good season, hopefully we increase games at garden next year.  We still do play other games outside the big east games like Duke etc.  it's more important that we win. And as much as I can't stand uconn and Syracuse, I wish they were both back on schedule at MSG.  Both are big draws and the dislike of each other makes it a fun matchup.

« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
let's make our fans and recruits sit on bleachers in queens even more often.

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
Amen - MNCPA - Agree with you on everything!!

ras

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
It wasn't that long ago where we had decent crowds at the garden and beat good teams. Deangelo Harrison is only 24 years old for gods sake. We were good for 5 years. Were their issues? Absolutely! However we had 5 years of fun.
We don't need a so called home court advantage, I started school in 96. Since then how many so called big games have we won on campus ? That idea is absurd! No one (players or fans) want to play on union turnpike.
My opinion, a competent coaching staff comes in. We are revelvant immediately. Mike rice isn't great but he would be competent.
 No changes made. We continue to get killed. Mullin still hasn't brought anyone in yet to help. Why?
 It is different watching the games in person, looking at the coach . Comparing him to the other coach. Watching ed Cooley coaching his team. And watching our coach not interacting as much with his team. He does atleast once a game tell someone loudly to shut the fxck up though.

The Grammies are one night. We usually play 1 game at the end of the season, when then big 10 tournament will take place. 2 big east home games. Fxcking Iona and a most likely ass beating from duke. That is sad.

Chris Mullin is our coach he owes us better. I was the first off the bandwagon. And I tried to stay on. After the last absolute beat down . I have no faith. No changes were made to the staff. I expect the more blow outs and upsets. We play an awful style of basketball. The goal is to win  not score points. Lovett and ponds are great . They will win some games. But we will not sniff the tournament.

MSG will be shut down for 10 days to set up for the grammy's.. 
The other problem is St. John's gives away a lot of free tickets to groups so the attendance numbers at MSG are inflated.  The 10,000 number is actually tickets sold.   We had 16.000 for first responders night vs Marquette last year.  However 10,000 were given away and the school took a loss.  The only game St. John's made money at last year was Nova and Georgetown.  They took a loss at the rest of the games.  With the slice thing going on they are looking at making prudent financial decisions.

As fans we can complain but two things will change this.  Winning and more fans buying tickets.  If fans are not going to show up then we will continue to play more CA games.
Excellent post. I like the idea of giving away tickets to youth groups.  , fills up seats and may get future fans. Too bad Carneseca arena can't be made a little bigger and more comfortable seats put in. All the money would go to SJU and would be a true home court advantage. In the 80 s most of our games were played there and you could expect a victory. We had an unbelievable record there. Don't get me wrong I'd love to sell out MSG , but we would have to be real good for that to happen... Regarding our depth if we get Morgan, he will eligible in Dec. and that will help a lot. He was highly regarded coming out of HS.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:53:20 PM by ras »

derk

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
2 less home games at MSG than last year. As a season ticket holder it sucks but I'm not about to jump off a bridge like Tony here.

I reiterate. It's the seats, the lack of comfort,( both less roomy and death on a bad back ) and poor or no air circulation as well..

derk

« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
I think it's fine to play a few less at msg this season.  Main thing is winning.  If we have a good season, hopefully we increase games at garden next year.  We still do play other games outside the big east games like Duke etc.  it's more important that we win. And as much as I can't stand uconn and Syracuse, I wish they were both back on schedule at MSG.  Both are big draws and the dislike of each other makes it a fun matchup.

Yes they are big draws but most of the increase goes to their students.

« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »
2 less home games at MSG than last year. As a season ticket holder it sucks but I'm not about to jump off a bridge like Tony here.

I reiterate. It's the seats, the lack of comfort,( both less roomy and death on a bad back ) and poor or no air circulation as well..

I mean I know, I have season tickets, am at 99% of the games and I am 6'5 300 pounds. CA seating sucks ass, but I'm not about to complain like a madman about 2 games.

redslope

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
Last year we had 3 games at the Garden with 8K to 9K--too many empty seats.  First let's fill CA so it is Standing Room only and it becomes a "real" home court advantage and then we can build a bigger fan base.  I remember when we sold out CA to season ticket holders and then had an additional "garden only" package.  To do that we need to win and fill CA first.

MCNPA

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »

Not at all.  Both teams have great traveling fans.  Both Syracuse and Uconn would make money for SJU in the garden very easily.  It's unfortunate that Cuse cancelled the series.  Uconn still an option in the future and it would be smart for us to consider it.

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
Maybe next year get something going.
I believe we are trying to get one major out of conference game at home per year.

However, I do like them sitting in the AAC with absolutely nothing.

« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
How many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic? 

I haven't done the math yet but I'm predicting an Ncaa tournament bid:

LP shine
Miller and Izzo brilliance rubbed off
Bash scores same amount with less turnovers
Tariq's increased skill complements that world class motor
Lube's sophomore year was a mirage
Less (players) is more, cohesion reigns and it's an advantage not a disadvantage
Defense no longer a dirty word on Utopia pkwy.
Da Ali B has his best season as a senior
Coaching staff improves in third start off the lay off
And last but not least the stars align and lions lay down with lambs

Could happen

Poison

« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
How many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic? 

I haven't done the math yet but I'm predicting an Ncaa tournament bid:

LP shine
Miller and Izzo brilliance rubbed off
Bash scores same amount with less turnovers
Tariq's increased skill complements that world class motor
Lube's sophomore year was a mirage
Less (players) is more, cohesion reigns and it's an advantage not a disadvantage
Defense no longer a dirty word on Utopia pkwy.
Da Ali B has his best season as a senior
Coaching staff improves in third start off the lay off
And last but not least the stars align and lions lay down with lambs

Could happen

The staff didn't do the math either. They have never had less size. They are two injuries away from a 14 win season and every season since I can remember they have at least two injuries. There are always variables that will sway the season in either direction. The staff has bombed so much so in fielding this class consisting of one 3 star recruit that they've likely scared off the top 100 kids for 2018 from coming here.

Let's see them work with what they've built. If this is a legit BE coaching staff, prove it. 9 players, 8 players, 7 players... they made their bed.

derk

« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

Not at all.  Both teams have great traveling fans.  Both Syracuse and Uconn would make money for SJU in the garden very easily.  It's unfortunate that Cuse cancelled the series.  Uconn still an option in the future and it would be smart for us to consider it.

I'm not talking about making money. I'm talking about winning games and not allowing  regional opponents to display their wares on our home court.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
This year the team has the big goal of making the tournament, and any advantage that they can get makes sense. If CA provides a better advantage then so be it. SJU is two decades away from being the other professional team at MSG with strong crowds. The SJU/Georgetown BET game gives hope about having a buzz back in the building.

In one way it is impressive how SJU has not been able to balance a roster in almost 10 years and with three different coaches trying to do it. I still have faith that this coaching staff can do it. Being short handed again is frustrating, but the circumstances are different. The staff's original recruiting class was to grab as many players as possible in a short amount of time. The result was these players got a lot of playing time. As better recruits arrive and playing time and roles decrease for other players it makes sense that players will transfer out.

Another part to this is Coach Mullin growing as a coach at the same time his staff had to rebuild an entire program. There will be head scratching moves and mistakes along the way, but overall this team improved from year one to year two, to include taking down the the 13th rank team in the nation. There were some bad loses, but the team did improve overall.

Hope springs eternal before a season starts and there are legitimate concerns, but the staff has raise the expectations this year, and I think this is all positives for the program. I'm hoping the results are the same. 
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
For anyone planning to attend Advocare tourney in Orlando....

Received e-mail om alumni reception on Fri night 11/24 @ the resort

http://www.stjohns.edu/about/events/orlando-thanksgiving-reception

Looking forward to it.  The event & spread at last year at Atlantis was good.

Marillac

« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

Awesome hotel btw.

« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »

I will not be joining you this year Nc.  It's too bad.  Basketball tourism is fun!

QuanMan

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
FYI Nebraska manhandled Mississippi St. this afternoon in a charity exhibition. They're in Queens in 3 weeks in what should prove to be a huge game for us.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
FYI Nebraska manhandled Mississippi St. this afternoon in a charity exhibition. They're in Queens in 3 weeks in what should prove to be a huge game for us.

They beat them by 4, and I wouldn't read too much into these exhibitions

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »

They beat them by 4, and I wouldn't read too much into these exhibitions
Well in soccer that would be a manhandling.