Isaac Kante, PF, PSA Academy, Ct. - GEORGIA

• 130 replies
Re: Isaac Kante, PF, PSA Academy, Ct.
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »
Jessica really is responsible for a lot of churning and question marks on this team. For example...

Lets say we weren't recruiting Jessica, would Sima finish out the season and be part of a core returning this year? Or did he hear he was being recruited over and that was the final nail?
All the lost recruiting time and resources spent on trips to Florida to babysit Jessica, perhaps better spent recruiting bigs who qualify.

Did we actually lose a 7' 240lb center and whiff on getting a big from the 2017 class, because of Matt recruiting Jessica?

Tha Kid

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
Missing Slice yet?

+1.  Everyone was quick to anoint Matt and diss Slice based on year 1 performance, but recruiting is a tough business.   The powers that be should have figured out whatever was needed to appease Slice and keep him.  He is the recruiting ace who had a much longer track record and success, after all....
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2017, 06:31:02 PM »
Missing Slice yet?

+1.  Everyone was quick to anoint Matt and diss Slice based on year 1 performance, but recruiting is a tough business.   The powers that be should have figured out whatever was needed to appease Slice and keep him.  He is the recruiting ace who had a much longer track record and success, after all....

Of course. But as Moose says, Slice didn't graduate from St. John's.

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
What's the rumor?

The rumor is we've been eliminated from contention and he's probably headed to play for Georgia.  IMO, it also looks like we're somewhat losing recruiting momentum.  I'm not saying this due to potentially losing out on Kante.  It's also not being able to bring in a decent or competent big this offseason.  I know the staff has tried, but unfortunately they've been rebuffed. 

This is why we need to bring in Rice or someone with similar capabilities ASAP, as well, as we need to be an NCAA Tournament team (or, advance deeply into the NIT, if that is where we end up), in order to gain back the momentum.  Not to mention, it's also imperative that our 2018 haul is an impressive list of kids.  Outside of those things taking place, then...  well, you get the picture.
+1000

« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2017, 07:12:37 PM »
This is completely without knowledge of anything but I get the sense that Slice was consistently going after big name kids. He was always linked to the Terrance Fergusons, Thon Makers, Rawle Alkins, etc.  While Matt went after less hyped prospects (ones not ranked in the top 25 of the class) and going after transfers and doing things different.

It was very obvious that both had different recruiting styles and I'm sure many felt the way that I did in that Matt's "strategy" was a better fit for the type of program St Johns runs and wasn't that disappointed to see Slice go (Especially after striking out with those 5 star kids)

Maybe it was just me who felt this way.
I jumped off the Slice hype train when he couldn't land us Heron who was the one supposed recruit he had 100% in the bag.

ras

« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
This is completely without knowledge of anything but I get the sense that Slice was consistently going after big name kids. He was always linked to the Terrance Fergusons, Thon Makers, Rawle Alkins, etc.  While Matt went after less hyped prospects (ones not ranked in the top 25 of the class) and going after transfers and doing things different.

It was very obvious that both had different recruiting styles and I'm sure many felt the way that I did in that Matt's "strategy" was a better fit for the type of program St Johns runs and wasn't that disappointed to see Slice go (Especially after striking out with those 5 star kids)

I jumped off the Slice hype train when he couldn't land us Heron who was the one supposed recruit he had 100% in the bag.

. You make a valid point. Too bad we couldn't keep both, since we are paying both.(Slice and Matt)

« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »

. You make a valid point. Too bad we couldn't keep both, since we are paying both.(Slice and Matt)

At some point you have to ask why we couldn't keep both

Marillac

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »

Because the hobbit is a millennial narcissist that traded info for good press.

Tha Kid

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »

Because the hobbit is a millennial narcissist that traded info for good press.

I'm sorry but I can't blame Matt for slice departure.  It's on coach mullin to do whatever to make sure both are happy and most of all the guy w the track record who gave up the gig at Kentucky.   Mullin, not matt, dropped the ball on slice and I don't even need to know any details to believe that.   Time to hire a true slice replacement (and that is no shot at Mitch).
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »
Georgia it is for Kante

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
Georgia it is for Kante
Well Bulldog for them