Isaac Kante, PF, PSA Academy, Ct. - GEORGIA

• 130 replies

Moose

Re: Isaac Kante, PF, PSA Academy, Ct.
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 11:54:24 PM »
Not sure what all the worry is surrounding scholarships for the 18 class. Room will be made for whoever is coming in. Even with Diakite in the picture we still have one scholarship open for 18 since Amar and Ahmed are graduating. The likely loss of Lovett opens another one. Then you have to figure at least 1 or 2 others will leave opening up more. Scholarship distribution concerns are a non-issue IMO

Who are the realistic targets in 18 besides Luther

I don't want to hear about another Louisiana kid. We've been down that road a few times and it's fruitless
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »
Not sure what all the worry is surrounding scholarships for the 18 class. Room will be made for whoever is coming in. Even with Diakite in the picture we still have one scholarship open for 18 since Amar and Ahmed are graduating. The likely loss of Lovett opens another one. Then you have to figure at least 1 or 2 others will leave opening up more. Scholarship distribution concerns are a non-issue IMO

I don't want to hear about another Louisiana kid. We've been down that road a few times and it's fruitless

Naz? Quinerly? Sid Wilson? Bol? Ayala?

Moose

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »

Naz? Quinerly? Sid Wilson? Bol? Ayala?

Yea besides Naz who if he gets Blue Blood offer will be hard to beat the others we aren't recruiting or haven't been mentioned with for a long time. Dave mentioned that was case with Quinerly. Wilson hasn't listed us in ages. Same for Bol. And Ayala has long lost and we haven't prioritized him like Luther

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »

Whether we have 2 realistic targets or 10, scholarship distribution won't be an issue. Also, we will always be heavily involved in the transfer game

Moose

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »

Whether we have 2 realistic targets or 10, scholarship distribution won't be an issue. Also, we will always be heavily involved in the transfer game

You are absolutely right.
Now if players can stick around 4 years and the scholarship distribution can hold true.

desco80

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
Hopefully we get some frontcourt help from Kante, Wooten or Yetna.

And maybe there is a juco or grad transfer big man still out there who could make an impact (I'm beginning to doubt that though )

I think we're all overlooking a big key to the 17-18 season.  Tariq Owens. 
He's gonna be our center next year even if these reinforcements do sign with us.  And the best chance we have at being competitive for the post season is if Owens can be effective and stay out of foul trouble.
If we're getting 25+ mins from Tariq I think we will be just fine.
The backcourt is our strength and Clark/Yakwe should compliment each other at the 4. 

The front court will rely on Owens staying out of foul trouble.  That's how we get good center play.  I doubt it's from a newcomer. 

goredmen

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »

And maybe there is a juco or grad transfer big man still out there who could make an impact (I'm beginning to doubt that though )

He's gonna be our center next year even if these reinforcements do sign with us.  And the best chance we have at being competitive for the post season is if Owens can be effective and stay out of foul trouble.
The backcourt is our strength and Clark/Yakwe should compliment each other at the 4. 

The front court will rely on Owens staying out of foul trouble.  That's how we get good center play.  I doubt it's from a newcomer. 

Agree with Owens being a huge part of next season's success. I'd add that Yakwe will also be super important. If he puts it together this offeseason and becomes what many of us thought he'd be after his freshman season then we could be in really good shape. If he is mostly useless again we'll be in big trouble

desco80

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
It would be nice to have Sima right about now.   

derk

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »

Agree with Owens being a huge part of next season's success. I'd add that Yakwe will also be super important. If he puts it together this offeseason and becomes what many of us thought he'd be after his freshman season then we could be in really good shape. If he is mostly useless again we'll be in big trouble

Wouldn't be surprised to see Yakwe start at Center, specifically to stretch out Owens minutes. It's very difficult to teach kids not to foul, Owens in particular because of his desire to block every shot. I f we land Kante, Yakwe had better improve or he'll ride the pines.

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »

Now if players can stick around 4 years and the scholarship distribution can hold true.
Would prefer that too but unfortunately the landscape has changed as you know. Was listening to sat radio the other day and the guest on the college sports station said there were 350 D1 transfers already which was ahead of last years pace when the total was over 700. He said at this rate there would be over 900 which averages out to almost 3 per school which is astounding. Counting Sima we already have 4 and more possible (AliB and who knows). On the bright side you can get rid of recruiting mistakes.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »

Would prefer that too but unfortunately the landscape has changed as you know. Was listening to sat radio the other day and the guest on the college sports station said there were 350 D1 transfers already which was ahead of last years pace when the total was over 700. He said at this rate there would be over 900 which averages out to almost 3 per school which is astounding. Counting Sima we already have 4 and more possible (AliB and who knows). On the bright side you can get rid of recruiting mistakes.

All true but look at the tournament and how seniors and juniors usually equate to long runs.

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »
Dan McDonald‏ @DMcDonaldRivals

2017 PF Isaac Kante will visit #UGA next Monday. He starts a visit to Old Dominion tomorrow. Georgetown, Kansas St and St. John's involved.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:25:15 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
Dan McDonald‏ @DMcDonaldRivals

2017 PF Isaac Kante will visit #UGA next Monday. He starts a visit to Old Dominion tomorrow. Georgetown, Kansas St and St. John's involved.

Kid wants to rack up some frequent flier miles before he decides...

ras

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »
What is he  ranked?

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
http://nypost.com/2017/04/15/st-johns-could-benefit-from-brooklyn-prep-stars-patience/

And when Kante isn’t talking to the program’s coaches, he is hearing from star guard and friend Shamorie Ponds, whom he played two years with at Thomas Jefferson before transferring to Robeson.

“He just tells me it’s a great opportunity to stay home,” Kante said. “Right now, I’m trying to get a feel of it. I know they need bigs, so there’s a great opportunity to come and play. Playing at home, that’s not an option a lot of players get.”

Poison

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »

We need players with the right attitude. Sima was a little bitch.

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »

and Poison makes his return just in time for Easter Sunday.

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
+1.  Need kids who want to be here.  Sima obviously didn't, even though there were big minutes to be had.  And if Tariq kicking his a$$ in practice everyday pushed him away, so be it. 

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
Kante will be a nice late 4 year pick up.

He bloomed late and that explains the late interest.

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
Kante will be a nice late 4 year pick up.

He bloomed late and that explains the late interest.
If we get him any chance we would still take his teammate Yetna who while not the muscle man we need seems to be the better all around player, to your knowledge?