Remaining 17'-18' Ships

• 106 replies
Re: Remaining 17'-18' Ships
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »
I don't mind Malik and Darien leaving, 

I keep reading how we're desperate for bigs.  So why did Darien go?

Marillac

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
I don't mind Malik and Darien leaving, 

I keep reading how we're desperate for bigs.  So why did Darien go?

Thats the million dollar question. Also, why did we let Zanna go to Houston? Not having either  240 lb frame will cost us more than one win if the current roster isn't upgraded in some form. Kameron Rooks obviously silences all doubts on that subject, but that doesn't look too promising.

Williams was a flawed player, but he was the only guy we had that could body players like Wideman. Wideman absolutely ate up Yakwe and Owens. Let's not even mention guys like O'Mara and Delgado.

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »
Last year Amar came back on May 10th.

While unlikely for Williams to come back, seems our odds are perhaps as good or better than getting Rooks or Beverly.

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2017, 12:00:39 AM »
I don't mind Malik and Darien leaving, I get it for all of the mentioned reasons. However I have a huge problem with a Abs quote saying that they're confident in what they have. Amar is not a BE player. That leaves 8 capable bodies. That is not enough. As talented as we are we need additional help in various areas (Backup C, SF) before time runs out.

I also would like to add an additional player but the facts are only one team in the Big East played more than 8 players 15+ mpg last year (Marquette). Most only played 7. But one injury to a core player and we would be in trouble.

MCNPA

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2017, 01:53:11 AM »
Regardless, if we know a weakness we should address it... thus far we haven't.   We lost front court players and replaced nobody that could potentially play basketball on the interior.  I love Owens, but he fouls quick and is skinny.  The kid can play and has an amazing motor though.  He just needs help and doesn't have it.

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Regardless, if we know a weakness we should address it... thus far we haven't.   We lost front court players and replaced nobody that could potentially play basketball on the interior.  I love Owens, but he fouls quick and is skinny.  The kid can play and has an amazing motor though.  He just needs help and doesn't have it.

Agree but there weren't a lot of kids out there that could play 20-25 mins in the post for us. In reality we are looking for someone that can play around 10 mpg. I'm hoping Owens can play 5 more mpg compared to last year. He play around 19 mpg last year so I don't think its unreasonable for him to get up to 25 mpg.

The guards need to play defense next year and not let their man free access into the lane, which causes our bigs to help and get out of rebounding position. If that doesn't happen we could have signed 3 All-American post players and we would still get killed on the boards.

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
Carter cancelled his visit to SJU