Remaining 17'-18' Ships

• 106 replies

Marillac

Re: Remaining 17'-18' Ships
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
If he's happy being our last big man off the bench, offers five fouls, and plays five minutes -- at most -- per game, then I'd be happy with it.  We can't expect everyone we get to be in the rotation and play big minutes/big impact guys.

One of the issues Mullin had last year was having too big of a playing rotation. Lovett/Ponds/Simon/Mussini, Ahmed/Clarke/Owens/Yawke is already ok. Get us one more front court guy, and we're a solid NCAA bubble team.

Sounds like Amar, who gets bashed here for being 12th man. Let the kid Graduate and another scholarship opens up.

Baldi spitting truth.

Yeah because you love those big guys who stand outside the three point line waiting to catch and shoot. Or in AA's case, catch and miss.

I'll take a lesser physical talent at PF if he knows his role and doesn't want to ne a SF. However, I prefer to keep my own crap over taking someone else's.

Foad

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
I prefer to keep my own crap over taking someone else's.

In general I agree with you but I bet at Kentucky they don't spend three months arguing about who should be the tenth man and the tenth man at Kentucky would start at St John's. This guy's seven foot two, walks upright and can catch the ball. By that criteria he's already the best true big we've had since Lamont Hamilton. And he could well be the fourth face we need to complete our Mount Rushmore of lummoxes: Muto - Baldi - Jasilionustien - ?. We could we witnessing history.

Tiger

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Curtis Johnson is worthy of inclusion in this fine group of gentlemen.

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
Curtis Johnson is worthy of inclusion in this fine group of gentlemen.
Probably not the right complexion for Foad's definition of a lummoxe.

QuanMan

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Judging solely from his highlight mixtape, but Isiaha Mike clearly looks like the top talent that we're after this offseason with all due respect to Mikey Dixon. His versatility, strength, and multi-faceted skill set really has me hoping that we get him in for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-1J4xdkykY
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
Judging solely from his highlight mixtape, but Isiaha Mike clearly looks like the top talent that we're after this offseason with all due respect to Mikey Dixon. His versatility, strength, and multi-faceted skill set really has me hoping that we get him in for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-1J4xdkykY

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein  10m10 minutes ago
More
 Duquesne transfer Isiaha Mike tells me he will visit SMU this weekend and also plans to visit Oregon.

Hope that we eventually land a visit.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
Mike is off the radar apparently.

Wods317

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

The matt unfollow....the kiss of death.

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »

The matt unfollow....the kiss of death.
Too bad. Seemed to be one of the better front court prospects. If we can't get the top HSers was hoping we could get the some of the top transfers but seems like every school now plays the transfer game.

QuanMan

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
Matt Abdelmassih‏Verified account @mabde33  6m6 minutes ago
More
 adding 1 more piece (a big) is the only focus. We feel like we have a very talented group next season.

So the current roster with the addition of IK is it? I think that we're all in agreement that we could use at least two 17'-18' bigs. This also is somewhat stating that Amar is staying, which means that losing Darien was indeed a loss.
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »
Staff wants to sign only one player to this Spring's class. So 10 scholarship players, Mikey Dixon and the assumed two additional transfer signings puts our roster at 13 total scholarships.

Thoughts on sitting 3, keeping Amar instead of Darien, and what looks like IK being our only Spring 17' signing?
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
Staff wants to sign only one player to this Spring's class. So 10 scholarship players, Mikey Dixon and the assumed two additional transfer signings puts our roster at 13 total scholarships.

Thoughts on sitting 3, keeping Amar instead of Darien, and what looks like IK being our only Spring 17' signing?

Is it possible Williams left because Williams wanted to leave?

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »

I'm fine as long as we land a guy like Kante and Amar is staying.  Darien, despite what many here think, didn't help us tremendously.  I think a guy like Kante will be able to do as much, even as a freshman.  Don't forget as well that we have Owens back, plus are adding two potential starting caliber players in Simon and Clark.  We might play smaller than some teams, but we won't be tiny overall.  Agree I'd like an impact big man or two, but it doesn't seem that this transfer season will provide us with one.

derk

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »

I'm fine as long as we land a guy like Kante and Amar is staying.  Darien, despite what many here think, didn't help us tremendously.  I think a guy like Kante will be able to do as much, even as a freshman.  Don't forget as well that we have Owens back, plus are adding two potential starting caliber players in Simon and Clark.  We might play smaller than some teams, but we won't be tiny overall.  Agree I'd like an impact big man or two, but it doesn't seem that this transfer season will provide us with one.

Yes, we'll be bigger and more talented then last year but will that be enough ?

QuanMan

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »

Is it possible Williams left because Williams wanted to leave?

Darien left bc of a minutes restriction, some of which are occupied by Amar. Darien > Amar no contest. I'd rather have 11 active players and add a additional big or swingman in addition to IK. We'll see how the rest of the signing period materializes however, end date is May 17th.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »

Completely unacceptable. Our front court is a disgrace and there are
impact grad transfers everywhere you look. IK won't offer anything as a freshman. 

X had O'mara, Tyrique Jones, and Kaiser Gates coming back and still landed Kanter as a grad transfer and a stud recruiting class. We have a Sweet 16 backcourt and Northeast Conference front court.

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
Realize we expected more growth last year from Yawke.  But I think it is a safe bet that both Owens and Yawke will improve to some degree.  If they take an even marginal leap, plus the addition of Marvin Clark, I think our front court will be improved.  Not on the level as the back court/wings, but improved. 

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Realize we expected more growth last year from Yawke.  But I think it is a safe bet that both Owens and Yawke will improve to some degree.  If they take an even marginal leap, plus the addition of Marvin Clark, I think our front court will be improved.  Not on the level as the back court/wings, but improved. 

It's never safe to bet anyone from St. John's will improve. We have an absolute joke of a conditioning program. Justin Patton arrived at Creighton under 200 and so weak they had to redshirt him. They got him up to 230 in one redshirt year. We couldn't get Owens over 200 lbs in his redshirt year?

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »

Safe bet? What makes you think so?

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
History.  Kids with ability get better as they get older and stronger.  Maybe not as much as some would like, or as quick as some would like, but talent usually improves.  We saw Dom go from a kid almost everyone on this board wanted out to one of the premier players in the league.  And we've seen it with plenty of others, whether on SJU or elsewhere.