Remaining 17'-18' Ships

• 106 replies

Marillac

Re: Remaining 17'-18' Ships
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
History.  Kids with ability get better as they get older and stronger.  Maybe not as much as some would like, or as quick as some would like, but talent usually improves.  We saw Dom go from a kid almost everyone on this board wanted out to one of the premier players in the league.  And we've seen it with plenty of others, whether on SJU or elsewhere.

Dom was awesome as a freshman and horribly misused as a junior. I was his most vocal critic and it wa never about his ability....it was about his role.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:50:35 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
Realize we expected more growth last year from Yawke.  But I think it is a safe bet that both Owens and Yawke will improve to some degree. 
no such thing as a safe bet at st johns.  we are .........

derk

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
Realize we expected more growth last year from Yawke.  But I think it is a safe bet that both Owens and Yawke will improve to some degree. 

My same thoughts regarding IK "leaning" towards us but still taking 2 more trips.

Moose

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »

My same thoughts regarding IK "leaning" towards us but still taking 2 more trips.

And now his last trip is us again
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
History.  Kids with ability get better as they get older and stronger.  Maybe not as much as some would like, or as quick as some would like, but talent usually improves.  We saw Dom go from a kid almost everyone on this board wanted out to one of the premier players in the league.  And we've seen it with plenty of others, whether on SJU or elsewhere.

Dom was awesome as a freshman and horribly misused as a junior. I was his most vocal critic and it wa never about his ability....it was about his role.

This.  Plus about 1000000

Dom was used as a point guard his Junior year.   That was about the time I became convinced Lavin had nothing between his ears.

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
Are we waiting on Kante and Scenic to save the day?

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

I know you're clowning around again, but....  Supposedly, we never offered Scekic, so it looks like Kante or bust.  I'm not aware of any other immediate eligible player or big on the radar.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:31:27 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »

I know you're clowning around again, but....  Supposedly, we never offered Scekic, so it looks like Kante or bust.  I'm not aware of any other immediate eligible player or big on the radar.

Unfortunately  I was seeious. Doesn't look like we are getting anyone who can help
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:59:07 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

Unfortunately  I was seeious. Doesn't look like we aren't anyone who can help

If we land Kante and Rice join the staff, then that'll probably work for me.  But, I would like to grab an additional big.  Grabbing Rice could actually be the best recruit of the lot, if it comes to fruition.

Pete88

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

Unfortunately  I was seeious. Doesn't look like we are getting anyone who can help

You should start a bring back Norm thread, something needs to cheer you up. 

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

You should start a bring back Norm thread, something needs to cheer you up. 

Bring back Jessica

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »

Don't get too seeious on us, Baldi!  ;)

QuanMan

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »
How we have not added to next year's core is baffling. We have to make a major step in the eyes of public opinion in Year3 or else we're going to be written off. I like our roster 1-8, we literally have nothing after it on 5/2.
Section 3
Section 116

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
It could change very quickly though.  Add a big grad like Rooks and maybe a guy like Nahziah Carter for 17' and we'd look solid, with at least one big man and one young wing entering next season.  I'm disappointed with how it's gone thus far, but we don't need a ton to get us to where we want.  Let's see what happens.  The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days...

paultzman

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »
It could change very quickly though.  Add a big grad like Rooks and maybe a guy like Nahziah Carter for 17' and we'd look solid, with at least one big man and one young wing entering next season.  I'm disappointed with how it's gone thus far, but we don't need a ton to get us to where we want.  Let's see what happens.  The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days...

Not counting on Rooks

MCNPA

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »

Not counting on Rooks

Maybe another big body at least.  That's what I'd hope for.  Beverley sounds great but the "near lock" to Iowa state concerns me, obviously.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:51:41 PM by MCNPA »

QuanMan

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »
Matt has been tremendous doing what he does best in the transfer market in landing Marv/JSimon/Tariq/Mikey Dixon.

However, 4/9 of the kids that signed out of HS in the 15' and 16' classes have now transferred, and he is flatly striking out with the 2017 HS seniors.

I will continue to remind everyone of how ridiculously gambling on a transvestite criminal led to this current situation bc it's relevant at this very moment.

If it's our depth that ultimately hurts us at the end of games I'm going to consistently think of this empty recruiting class.

We need a break in the worst way, I'm praying that someone, somewhere is left unspoken for bc the answer doesn't appear to be Rooks or Carter as of tonight. Two weeks left to make something happen.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:30:57 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
Matt has been tremendous doing what he does best in the transfer market in landing Marv/JSimon/Tariq/Mikey Dixon.

However, 4/9 of the kids that signed out of HS in the 15' and 16' classes have now transferred, and he is flatly striking out with the 2017 HS seniors.

I will continue to remind everyone of how ridiculously gambling on a transvestite criminal led to this current situation bc it's relevant at this very moment.

If it's our depth that ultimately hurts us at the end of games I'm going to consistently think of this empty recruiting class.

We need a break in the worst way, I'm praying that someone, somewhere is left unspoken for bc the answer doesn't appear to be Rooks or Carter as of tonight. Two weeks left to make something happen.
I disagree. Rooks is just what we are looking for. The only problem is I don't think we are going to land him. I agree w you  re: Carter.

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:25 PM »

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but who did Zach Brown prevent St. John's from acquiring?

RF and Ellison were surprises in my opinion. Those sting.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

QuanMan

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but who did Zach Brown prevent St. John's from acquiring?

RF and Ellison were surprises in my opinion. Those sting.

Most notably French, but it also took away from any other potential local pursuit like Isaiah Washington or Brandon Randolph while he was committed from November 9th-January 18th. Instead we wasted time and energy babysitting a imbalanced, troublesome malcontent in Florida the entire holiday season. During that time Sima also instantly decommited, leave that up to debate.

Staying in the present, we had between January to current Mid-May to atleast come up with some time of insurance additions to next year's team. Instead it seems as if we're idling, prodding for 2018 with a wonderful, opportune season right in front of our faces.

I don't mind Malik and Darien leaving, I get it for all of the mentioned reasons. However I have a huge problem with a Abs quote saying that they're confident in what they have. Amar is not a BE player. That leaves 8 capable bodies. That is not enough. As talented as we are we need additional help in various areas (Backup C, SF) before time runs out.
Section 3
Section 116