Nahziah Carter, SF, Rochester, NY

• 61 replies

paultzman

Nahziah Carter, SF, Rochester, NY
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Per Pat Lawless
Albany City Rocks (NY) wing Nahziah Carter just picked up an offer from St. John's.

Former Dayton commit who will now prep.

Re: Nahziah Carter, SF, Rochester, NY
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »
Jay-Z's nephew if I remember

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
Well there is some question of what year he will ultimately land in.  Kid has gotten a lot of late interest, his problem is most of the interest for him is for 2018 except BC has offered for 2017.  He says in this article he prefers to stay in 2017 but will prep if necessary.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-star-guard-nahziah-carter-hoping-for-more-options?utm_content=buffere6978&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The New York native has heard from several programs since opening his recruitment back up.

“I have spoken to Georgetown, Georgia Tech, UMass, Indiana, but they don’t have any scholarships in 2017 so they are talking to me for 2018, and Boston College,” Carter said. “They are the only school to offer me so far.”

Despite just holding one scholarship offer as a member of the 2017 class, Carter has a firm understanding of how he wants things to play out.

“I plan to go to college this summer and prep school is an alternative just in case I don’t get the right fit but the plan is to go to college this summer,” he said. “I kind of want to take my time. The recruiting process is kind of tough and I don’t want to rush anything or make any bad decisions.”

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
Marley Paul just reported SJU offer is for 2017 or 2018

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »
“I plan to go to college this summer and prep school is an alternative just in case I don’t get the right fit but the plan is to go to college this summer,”

The much needed backup SF answer, terrific development for next year's success.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
If he comes could he redshirt as a freshman?

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31:05 AM »
Well there is some question of what year he will ultimately land in.  Kid has gotten a lot of late interest, his problem is most of the interest for him is for 2018 except BC has offered for 2017.  He says in this article he prefers to stay in 2017 but will prep if necessary.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-star-guard-nahziah-carter-hoping-for-more-options?utm_content=buffere6978&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The New York native has heard from several programs since opening his recruitment back up.

“I have spoken to Georgetown, Georgia Tech, UMass, Indiana, but they don’t have any scholarships in 2017 so they are talking to me for 2018, and Boston College,” Carter said. “They are the only school to offer me so far.”

Despite just holding one scholarship offer as a member of the 2017 class, Carter has a firm understanding of how he wants things to play out.

“I plan to go to college this summer and prep school is an alternative just in case I don’t get the right fit but the plan is to go to college this summer,” he said. “I kind of want to take my time. The recruiting process is kind of tough and I don’t want to rush anything or make any bad decisions.”

Georgetown, Washington, and UMass just recently offered Carter, as well.  If he's capable of helping out in '17-'18, then bring him in. 

Here's the rest of the piece posted by fordham.... 

WHAT’S NEXT?

While Carter has not been able to add as many scholarship offers as he might have liked by now, it would seem that his recruitment is due to pick up steam this spring playing on the Nike EYBL circuit.

In the meantime, Carter has an idea of what he wants in his next landing spot.

“I really just want an offense and defense that fits me well and a family environment,” Carter said. “I want to go somewhere I can enjoy myself while I am there.”

RIVALS’ REACTION

In recent years, college programs have become reliant on positionless players, prospects that can come in and do a variety of things and guard multiple spots. Seeing that high-major programs want a guy just like Carter this spring, expect for the offers to roll in and for Carter to begin his college playing career this winter.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-star-guard-nahziah-carter-hoping-for-more-options
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:32:01 AM by mjdinkins »

Wods317

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
Apparently he has tweeted a couple times saying he is 2018 so it would appear this would be for next year. That is probably better if we land him, give him another year to develop his game. His minutes this year would be very limited. With Bash gone next year he could get some decent minutes off the bench as a freshman if he does indeed come here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:04:57 AM by Wods317 »

QuanMan

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
I would like to land him or at least another SF for 2017. Right now our bench is limited and thin.

Assuming the Starting 5 is: Marcus/Shamorie/Bash/Marv/Tariq

The bench is only 4 deep at the current moment: Yakwe/Simon/Moose/Amar

9 active scholarship players! Kante makes 10. We would then need at least one more capable body. To note, not only do we not have a backup Center, we don't have a capable backup SF. Carter signing up for 17' would fill that void.
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
I would like to land him or at least another SF for 2017. Right now our bench is limited and thin.

9 active scholarship players! Kante makes 10. We would then need at least one more capable body. To note, not only do we not have a backup Center, we don't have a capable backup SF. Carter signing up for 17' would fill that void.

Yes we need Kante and a SF to round out this team.

goredmen

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

First of all, we aren't "only" going 4 deep on the bench at the moment. 4 guys off the bench is somewhat deep for a college team.

I don't get all this we don't have a backup SF talk. When Ahmed isn't on the court, Simon can play the 3. If neither Ahmed or Simon are on the floor then Clark will play the 3. The 3 might be our most solid position this year

Wods317

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »

First of all, we aren't "only" going 4 deep on the bench at the moment. 4 guys off the bench is somewhat deep for a college team.

I don't get all this we don't have a backup SF talk. When Ahmed isn't on the court, Simon can play the 3. If neither Ahmed or Simon are on the floor then Clark will play the 3. The 3 might be our most solid position this year

Agreed and this kid says he is 2018 and we aren't recruiting any forwards for next season as far as I know so this is the team we have.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »

I wouldn't think Simon came here to come off the bench

ras

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »
Don't have to worry about backup SF, because we will be playing a 3 guard lineup a lot. Lack of backup Center is another story. Also another big would allow Clark to play at the 3 at times.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Don't have to worry about backup SF, because we will be playing a 3 guard lineup a lot. Lack of backup Center is another story. Also another big would allow Clark to play at the 3 at times.

I'm not convinced we have a starting center. There is no excuse for not adding a capable big man. I don't care if it's a freshman or a grad transfer or a juco, but it's a major hole.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:29:31 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »

I'm not convinced we have a starting center. There is no excuse for not adding a capable big man. I don't care if it's a freshman or a grad transfer or a juco, but it's a major hole.

Yup. Unfortunately it's not going to get better by justifying that there is not a huge need for it on this board. The lack of rebounding and girth is going to be a major issue again next season if no immediately eligible bigs are added.

cjfish

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
The arrival of Simon and Clark gives us more size and rebounding.....who knows, maybe Amar will learn to box out and bound.....Our little guards all rebound well....If Kante signs that is another strong body....if Owens and Yakwe put on some weight the rebounding should be okay.  I agree that the depth is OK as is, do not need a rotation in excess of 9 players, particularly if the league directs the refs to stoop making games FT contests.  Like most college teams, questions and ifs abound. 

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
Visiting Georgetown and SJU next weekend.  My guess is SJU will push for 2017 with this kid:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/04/29/reclassified-wing-nahziah-carter-piling-offers/

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Visiting Georgetown and SJU next weekend.  My guess is SJU will push for 2017 with this kid:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/04/29/reclassified-wing-nahziah-carter-piling-offers/

I actually think it would be good to add a talented freshman wing, with Ahmed graduating, and only 2 transfer wings right now that will benupperclassment after this season.  At this point adding Carter and possibly a guy like Rooks would be a big win.  Carter needs some time to develop anyway, and next year could be a good year for that.  I also doubt he'd scare anybody else off.  A bird in the hand...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:14:00 PM by MCNPA »