Elijah Holifield transferring to Prairie View

• 90 replies

Poison

Elijah Holifield transferring to Prairie View
« on: August 21, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
Too bad. Would have been nice to see him turn into a contributor as a senior.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:02:19 AM by Poison »

Re: Elijah Holifield transferring to Prairie View
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
He'll contribute more at his new school.  He's better than a practice player.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »

I'm sure he will. We can add his name to our list of transfers who coulda been something by their senior year. I cannot remember an off season where we lost so many players to transfer without a new coach coming in. And even in those cases, which are often, this off season still has more than I recall in any.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:25:16 PM by Poison »

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »

I'm sure he will. We can add his name to our list of transfers who coulda been something by their senior year. I cannot remember an off season where we lost so many players to transfer without a new coach coming in. And even in those cases, which are often, this off season still has more than I recall in any.

He was a walkon... let's get real.

SJUFAN

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. If we are counting on a walk on to contribute to the success of our team as a senior then we are in some serious doo-doo.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. If we are counting on a walk on to contribute to the success of our team as a senior then we are in some serious doo-doo.

Then why did they bring him here in the first place? Plenty of walk ons become valuable role players at top programs. If that wasn't the staff's plan for this kid, then shame on them. They've looked foolish fairly often this summer.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

Mussini and Freudenberg went pro in Europe and did not transfer.  Holified is a walk on and, at absolute best, our tenth man.  Ellison is the only real offseason transfer, and we recruited over him with better players.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
First we lose a two star recruit to Iona and now a walk who scored 15 points in 52 minutes over two years is transferring. I think it's fair to say that the wheels have officially come off.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »

Then why did they bring him here in the first place? Plenty of walk ons become valuable role players at top programs. If that wasn't the staff's plan for this kid, then shame on them. They've looked foolish fairly often this summer.

We brought him on because we needed to fill out the roster any which way two years ago.

Only Yakwe remains from that team (Lovett and Owens practiced).  Normally, that would get me riled up too, but considering that team went 8-24, I would think we'd want turnover from that roster.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
Plenty of walk ons become valuable role players at top programs.

Define plenty.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »

Mussini and Freudenberg went pro in Europe and did not transfer.  Holified is a walk on and, at absolute best, our tenth man.  Ellison is the only real offseason transfer, and we recruited over him with better players.

No, sorry. Ellison is definitely not the only real off-season transfer. Williams played valuable minutes for us last year.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »

No, sorry. Ellison is definitely not the only real off-season transfer. Williams played valuable minutes for us last year.

True.  Forgot about him.  Even still - two transfers out, two transfers in (including a 6'10 former top 100 big guy with three years left). 

Poison

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

Define plenty.

My name is not Google. Wanna look it up? Have at it.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »

We brought him on because we needed to fill out the roster any which way two years ago.

Only Yakwe remains from that team (Lovett and Owens practiced).  Normally, that would get me riled up too, but considering that team went 8-24, I would think we'd want turnover from that roster.

Clearly, we brought the entire team in to fill out the roster, and then went on social media bragged to no end about each and every recruit.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
First we lose a two star recruit to Iona and now a walk who scored 15 points in 52 minutes over two years is transferring. I think it's fair to say that the wheels have officially come off.

In college basketball, continuity matters. Don't you agree?

Foad

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »

Define plenty.

So if you make an absurd statement that "plenty" - a word meaning among other things "a large quantity" - of walkons have made an impact at "top programs" I have to use google to discover whether your absurd statement is not false, otherwise it's true. That's quite stupid, even for someone who routinely leaves a trail of stupid rogue waves in his wake.

For non stupids, the burden of proof for an assertion is on the person making the assertion. The burden is not on the person who disbelieves the assertion to prove the absurd statement is false. Prove your statement true, else it is false.

I can think of one walk on who's made a significant impact at St John's: Andre Stanley. SJU is allegedly a top program. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're talking out your ass. Therefore you are.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

In college basketball, continuity matters. Don't you agree?

In college basketball continuity of personnel matters. However, continuity of walk ons in collge basketball is so meaningless that to call it meaningless would render the definition of meaningless meaningless. Also continuity of the dance team and continuity of the pep band.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »

Define plenty.

So if you make an absurd statement that "plenty" - a word meaning among other things "a large quantity" - of walkons have made an impact at "top programs" I have to use google to discover whether your absurd statement is not false, otherwise it's true. That's quite stupid, even for someone who routinely leaves a trail of stupid rogue waves in his wake.

For non stupids, the burden of proof for an assertion is on the person making the assertion. The burden is not on the person who disbelieves the assertion to prove the absurd statement is false. Prove your statement true, else it is false.

I can think of one walk on who's made a significant impact at St John's: Andre Stanley. SJU is allegedly a top program. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're talking out your ass. Therefore you are.

Duke, Louisville, Creighton and Providence have all recently had walk ons that eventually became contributors. It's a way for a coach to one, prove that he can developtalent, and it's a way to reward hard work, should there be any. Happy now?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:03:00 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »

Define plenty.

Duke, Louisville, Creighton and Providence have all recently had walk ons that eventually became contributors. It's a way for a coach to one, prove that he can developtalent, and it's a way to reward hard work, should there be any. Happy now?

A. Name them, because I can't be arsed to figure out who they are and you're an inveterate liar. B. Who cares, four programs out of 300 in 20 years is not "plenty." C. Even if what you said was true the correct formulation would be that occasionally a walk on makes a contribution at a major program and when it happens it a fluke and D. Who cares, Holifield would get no time at St John's and good luck to him in Division Two. E. Waa.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

Define plenty.

A. Name them, because I can't be arsed to figure out who they are and you're an inveterate liar. B. Who cares, four programs out of 300 in 20 years is not "plenty." C. Even if what you said was true the correct formulation would be that occasionally a walk on makes a contribution at a major program and when it happens it a fluke and D. Who cares, Holifield would get no time at St John's and good luck to him in Division Two. E. Waa.

I can see that this is really upsetting you. Maybe have a glass of water.