Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN

• 67 replies
Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
Pat Lawless‏
@PatLawless_
Jalen Gaffney, a class of 2019 PG from The Westtown School (PA)/Team Rio (NJ), will go on an unofficial visit to St. John's today.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:50:32 PM by jumpinjohnny »

paultzman

Re: Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
Pat Lawless‏
@PatLawless_
Jalen Gaffney, a class of 2019 PG from The Westtown School (PA)/Team Rio (NJ), will go on an unofficial visit to St. John's today.

They like him a lot & realize Antoine & Lewis of Team Rio are extremely tough gets.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:22:26 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
Staff apparently likes this guy's potential. Blowing up lately

https://twitter.com/marleypaul22/status/937170762686976000

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »
Marley Paul
@MarleyPaul22
At @PSACardinals Showcase:
Archbishop Molloy five-star duo Cole Anthony (21p 5a 9r 3s) and Moses Brown (19 & 8)

Posh Alexander - 15p, 7a, 3s
Jalen Gaffney - 21 & 9

Gaffney would be a great get by SJU with kids like Lewis & Antoine probably out of reach. He is maturing physically, has solid grades & playing well v top competition in my opinion.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »

@AdamZagoria
After playing in NJ on Saturday, Florida will watch 2019 PG @thefuture12__ Jalen Gaffney on Sunday.

UConn, Florida, St. John's and Xavier are all in the mix.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
New article up. 

https://stjohns.rivals.com/news/gaffney-talks-st-john-s-nba-development

On his relationship with St. John’s coaches:
“We have a great relationship. Me and coach Matt (Abdelmassih), we talk a lot. Coach (Chris) Mullin we talk a lot, pretty much every week. I’ve been to the campus a couple times — I’ve been to the Red Storm Tip Off and a couple practices, so we have a great relationship.”

Takeaways from his unofficial visits:
“Their practices are NBA-style practices, especially coming from coach Mullin who played in the NBA — and the other assistant coaches, they all used to be NBA guys, so running NBA-style practices will definitely help me get to the next level if I ever were to go there.”

Other schools and upcoming visits:
“Florida, Seton Hall, Minnesota, Stanford, UConn, Richmond, and some other schools, too.”

"I probably plan to visit UConn, sometime. And maybe Temple because it’s right around the corner (from Westtown). That’s pretty much it but we’ll definitely make some more.”

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
New article up. 

https://stjohns.rivals.com/news/gaffney-talks-st-john-s-nba-development

On his relationship with St. John’s coaches:
“We have a great relationship. Me and coach Matt (Abdelmassih), we talk a lot. Coach (Chris) Mullin we talk a lot, pretty much every week. I’ve been to the campus a couple times — I’ve been to the Red Storm Tip Off and a couple practices, so we have a great relationship.”

Takeaways from his unofficial visits:
“Their practices are NBA-style practices, especially coming from coach Mullin who played in the NBA — and the other assistant coaches, they all used to be NBA guys, so running NBA-style practices will definitely help me get to the next level if I ever were to go there.”

Other schools and upcoming visits:
“Florida, Seton Hall, Minnesota, Stanford, UConn, Richmond, and some other schools, too.”

"I probably plan to visit UConn, sometime. And maybe Temple because it’s right around the corner (from Westtown). That’s pretty much it but we’ll definitely make some more.”

Sounds like we are very strong with him.  Good stuff

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

@JohnniesPride

Assistant coach @mabde33 is watching @WTbbasketball 2019 Target Jalen Gaffney @thefuture12__ right now in their playoff game while in the area for their game vs @NovaMBB tomorrow #SJUBB @ad_gaffney

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »

@JohnniesPride

Assistant coach @mabde33 is watching @WTbbasketball 2019 Target Jalen Gaffney @thefuture12__ right now in their playoff game while in the area for their game vs @NovaMBB tomorrow #SJUBB @ad_gaffney

What's going to happen with all these kids that Matt is recruiting when he is replaced after the year is over...?

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »
@AdamZagoria - Class of 2019 PG @thefuture12__ Jalen Gaffney will host Chris Mullin of @StJohnsBBall for a home visit on Sunday.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
Correction on date per Zach B
St Johns will have an in home visit with 2019 PG Jalen Gaffney next weekend not this weekend per source #sjubb

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Pat Lawless
‏@PatLawless_
Was really impressed with the play of '19 Team Rio (NJ) guard Jalen Gaffney. Has been great in the open floor with his burst of speed. @TheHoopGroup

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
So the kid is about to explode out of our reach?

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
So the kid is about to explode out of our reach?

“We are...” :)

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »
I thought Gaffney was gonna blow up last year. He didn't quite do that but still think he has potential. Needs to get stronger and work harder.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »
Seems like the kind of kid we really need, a talented high school point guard to counter the like of Quinerly at Nova. Let's hope we get him and the center from CTK as a great start to the '19 class.

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
https://stjohns.rivals.com/news/inside-red-storm-top-target-s-in-home-visit

“I’m obviously familiar with St. John’s,” the older Gaffney, who was raised in Queens and has followed the hometown program since its heydays under Lou Carnesecca, said. “We’ve been a part of their new (coaching) regime since the beginning. They’ve been kind of following our (Team Rio) players, and so on, for the last couple of years. We had a pretty good home visit.”

“For one, it was good to have my wife sit down and hear Mully speak and me myself,” Gaffney said. “We went up there enough, we’re familiar with them. It’s funny, Jalen and Mully have a pretty good relationship — kind of a fun relationship, which is unique with Mully and all his players, which is why they attract to him. But just to get my wife kind of involved — obviously with your son you always have to have your mother’s touch on it, so that was probably the main thing.”

“I’d like to get it done earlier so he can enjoy his senior year but we’ll what happens.”

Sounds like Team RIO will be in Dallas (several events in Dallas area this weekend, NIKE is in Irving, TX).  SJU should be represented in Dallas this weekend as Live period starts.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
Sounds rather promising.  Mullin definitely a players coach.  Hope he feels comfortable enough to get it done.