Re: Rutgers Exhibition Game - Sunday 1 PM
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
What was final score?

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
the ;last 6 or 7 minutes was like a root canal without painkiller

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
Yakwe was non-existent... Amar is Amar and that combo cannot contribute when Owens continues to be easy foul prone.

No amount of gang rebounding can compensate for lack of interior and a few blocks doesn't cut it

QuanMan

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
This board should be fun the next few days

5 days of torture on here before Friday.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
yikes. good thing this game did not count.

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
Yakwe was non-existent... Amar is Amar and that combo cannot contribute when Owens continues to be easy foul prone.

No amount of gang rebounding can compensate for lack of interior and a few blocks doesn't cut it

I've been wanting Mullin to employ a zone early in his tenure.  Fast forward two years later, and I'm still wishing the same.  He doesn't have to totally divert from playing man defense, but use a couple type of zone defenses to give different looks and take advantage of our quickness and  length of Owens and Yakwe.

It might take us out of position on rebounds, but our bigs doesn't do well on the boards anyhow.  It'll also protect us from fouling so frequently.  Maybe, he unleashes a zone once the season starts.  Who knows?!

Hopefully, things we saw a season ago are soon cleaned up.  Just keep pushing forward and become better throughout the season.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:50:41 PM by mjdinkins »

desco80

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
I have to agree with Dinkins, using some zone seems like such an obvious move to help protect our frontcourt.   As you say, perhaps Mullin is waiting till the regular season to use it.    But even that strategy doesn't make a ton of sense to me. 

Johnny23

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
If we only had a real big. Ahhh.

It's more than that, if you ask me.  Although, a decent big would help.
[/quote

It is more than that, I agree, but their lack of a real big down low is a major area of concern.

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
Very glad this game was scheduled.   If the team can learn from this without it costing a loss......that makes it worthwhile.  Along with some obvious problems (mostly correctable), there were a lot of positive today.

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Very glad this game was scheduled.   If the team can learn from this without it costing a loss......that makes it worthwhile.  Along with some obvious problems (mostly correctable), there were a lot of positive today.

I, totally agree.  That is IF they learn from it and correct things.

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:07 PM »
Angel Delgado is going to eat our bigs lunch. And steal their bitches

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
Angel Delgado is going to eat our bigs lunch. And steal their bitches

Maybe....  Last season, he did it at Seton Hall.  But, he was stymied at MSG.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:41:56 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
If we didnt learn from last year I'm not convinced we will learn from today

We are going to need to score a lot of points

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
If we didnt learn from last year I'm not convinced we will learn from today

We are going to need to score a lot of points

Yup, and certainly not going to learn in a week

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »
post game quotes from Mullin

Post Game Quotes from Mullin

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110517aab.html

Head Coach Chris Mullin

On his takeaways from game at Rutgers:
"Well it's all stuff that we've been working on: rebounding, individual defense, shrinking the floor. This was a really good game for us to get out and do some good things. We built a nice lead in the second half, but then got a little lackadaisical and they capitalized. It was something that we can't emulate in practice, so it was good."

On the second half of the game:
"Offensively we were fine. I think we did a pretty good job on offense. We had a few unforced turnovers, but I'm really not concerned about our team offensively. It's really just maintaining our presence defensively. First and foremost, taking on the individual challenge and then sticking to our team principle."

On the game as a whole:
"I thought we just let up defensively in the second half as a team. They shot 68 percent in the second half, so I thought that was probably the biggest thing. In the beginning I thought both teams played pretty hard, but in the second half their physically got the best of us."

Poison

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »
No need to overthink it. They treated this game like it didn’t matter. Actually it didn’t. My only real criticism is for the staff. Those arrogant pricks really f’d this season. At least Lavin worked for 3 years before he stopped trying.

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
No need to overthink it. They treated this game like it didn’t matter. Actually it didn’t. My only real criticism is for the staff. Those arrogant pricks really f’d this season. At least Lavin worked for 3 years before he stopped trying.

What are you talking about? 

Wods317

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Obviously not the result you want but in the end the game doesn't count and we are 0-0. Hopefully they learn from it. Team has talent but has holes also. We can beat a lot of good teams or lose to some bad teams if we don't sharpen up.