Rutgers Exhibition Game - Sunday 1 PM

• 126 replies

TONYD3

Re: Rutgers Exhibition Game - Sunday 1 PM
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
Same  team as last year. Everyone knew what they needed to bring in to be successful and they came up empty. Poor defense, poor rebounding, and poor coaching. Lucky to be 500.
Glad I missed it. Why would anything be different? No changes were made.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
No need to overthink it. They treated this game like it didn’t matter. Actually it didn’t. My only real criticism is for the staff. Those arrogant pricks really f’d this season. At least Lavin worked for 3 years before he stopped trying.

What are you talking about? 

The team doesn’t have enough players, and that 100% the fault of the staff.

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
No need to overthink it. They treated this game like it didn’t matter. Actually it didn’t. My only real criticism is for the staff. Those arrogant pricks really f’d this season. At least Lavin worked for 3 years before he stopped trying.

The fact they don't have one or two more bulky, taller players on the team for this season - i agree with you there. That is disappointing. But to call them arrogant pricks that have stopped trying is a bit much.

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
Did the reason darrian Williams transfer come out?

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
He graduated dude, he wanted to move on.

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »
It's preseason. They were most likely tinkering with a lot of things and winning probably wasn't even the top priority. I'm not too concerned.

However, I will say, the inability to recruit somebody, anybody to improve our rebounding and interior defense is going to haunt us all season.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:35:04 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
He graduated dude, he wanted to move on.

For a chance to play in the tournament

Poison

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »

The fact they don't have one or two more bulky, taller players on the team for this season - i agree with you there. That is disappointing. But to call them arrogant pricks that have stopped trying is a bit much.

They are arrogant because they didn’t bother to work harder. They don’t have enough players and that’s when they are healthy. Adding a big man wasn’t a luxury. They don’t have one big man. Adding just one would still make them arrogant pricks. They needed at minimum 2.

goredmen

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »

They are arrogant because they didn’t bother to work harder. They don’t have enough players and that’s when they are healthy. Adding a big man wasn’t a luxury. They don’t have one big man. Adding just one would still make them arrogant pricks. They needed at minimum 2.

At least you are letting any new posters know who the resident insane person is around here

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »

I would've taken the JUCO big (Scekic) just as a space eater and give us about 10-15 minutes a game. 

We wasn't guaranteed to land him, but we no longer pursued Hasahn French once we received a commitment from Zach Brown.  French is a bit undersized at 6'7", but he has good size and plays bigger than his height.  He's also rugged.  Lunch pail/blue-collar kid.  We could use a kid like that on our roster.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »

At least you are letting any new posters know who the resident insane person is around here

I hear ya, except instead of insane, try spot on accurate. Because I’m spot on accurate.

goredmen

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »

I would've taken the JUCO big (Scekic) just as a space eater and give us about 10-15 minutes a game. 

We wasn't guaranteed to land him, but we no longer pursued Hasahn French once we received a commitment from Zach Brown.  French is a bit undersized at 6'7", but he has good size and plays bigger than his height.  He's also rugged.  Lunch pail/blue-collar kid.  We could use a kid like that on our roster.

You're right on French. The staff messed up bigtime with that situation and criticism there is very warranted.

Just because we are light up front doesn't mean we have to take on a kid that can't play just because he's 7'2. That Scekic dude would not have helped us this year. 7'2 dudes that can't move and have no skills are much bigger liabilities on the court than a 6'7 athletic guy that is forced into playing the 5.

To me, it is fair to criticize the staff for not getting another much needed big. But there are a finite amount of them out there that can play at this level and just throwing a dude on the court just because he's big would have negative results.

goredmen

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

I hear ya, except instead of insane, try spot on accurate. Because I’m spot on accurate.

Nah, I'll stick with insane

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2017, 10:26:17 PM »
USF had exhibition vs. Flagler and won 94-66.

Skecic played 14 minutes.  4 pts , 3 rebounds, 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 to's

Maybe he would have gotten eaten by Freeman too.

ras

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »

You're right on French. The staff messed up bigtime with that situation and criticism there is very warranted.

Just because we are light up front doesn't mean we have to take on a kid that can't play just because he's 7'2. That Scekic dude would not have helped us this year. 7'2 dudes that can't move and have no skills are much bigger liabilities on the court than a 6'7 athletic guy that is forced into playing the 5.

To me, it is fair to criticize the staff for not getting another much needed big. But there are a finite amount of them out there that can play at this level and just throwing a dude on the court just because he's big would have negative results.
If the 7 2 dude was a grad student, 1 year investment I would say go for it , but not worth wasting a scholy on him for next year. That said, we should have been able to get a competent big for his year.

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »

If the 7 2 dude was a grad student, 1 year investment I would say go for it , but not worth wasting a scholy on him for next year. That said, we should have been able to get a competent big for his year.

Agree the staff should have closed on a competent big to help this year, key word being competent. I don't think the reason they didn't was because of lack of effort of thinking that we didn't need one though.

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »
Agree...but our issue is we don't seem to have much in the way on big men next year.

Amar's size gets swapped w/ Keita, and Bashir for Roberts/Diakite (both 185-205 range (

Aside from Jordan Brown (200 range) and unlikely, we still need to work tirelessly to lure a few warm halfway decent bodies here

Poison

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:18 PM »

Agree the staff should have closed on a competent big to help this year, key word being competent. I don't think the reason they didn't was because of lack of effort of thinking that we didn't need one though.

This is a new staff learning on the job. They don’t know what they’re doing. Still, it’s no dumber than the rest of the terrible hires they’ve made since 1992.

goredmen

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
Agree...but our issue is we don't seem to have much in the way on big men next year.

Amar's size gets swapped w/ Keita, and Bashir for Roberts/Diakite (both 185-205 range (

Aside from Jordan Brown (200 range) and unlikely, we still need to work tirelessly to lure a few warm halfway decent bodies here

The staff knows they need bigs for the future which is why they pursued and landed Keita. He's as close to a true big as it gets in today's college basketball landscape. I think he's more of a solid depth big than a starting 5 and hopefully thats what his role will be here starting next year.

I would guess the staff will continue to be aggressive in the transfer market. Hopefully there will be a grad transfer big out there interested in coming here that we can plug in right away. I know we had hoped that the last couple years and it didn't happen but we did have a hook on that Livingston kid until the higher ups nixed it.

We'll see. The staff knows we need bigs and aren't being lazy when trying to land them. For this year, just have to hope that the staff can figure out a way to overcome our limitations up front

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »

This is a new staff learning on the job. They don’t know what they’re doing. Still, it’s no dumber than the rest of the terrible hires they’ve made since 1992.

Are you saying the staff isn't smart enough to see what literally everybody else can see about this team?