• 8 replies

Re: Higher Expectations / NY Post
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
Very accurate assessment

Need Owens out of foul trouble and Yakwe to step up

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
No scribe knows the program more accurately than Zach. To note, the Nebraska game next Thursday night is just as big as any Orlando tilt.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »
Zach has us in the NIT because of a weak frontcourt. It will be interesting to see how the staff handles being called out on this since it appears that they’ll actually be held accountable for how the team plays this season.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »
Zach has us in the NIT because of a weak frontcourt. It will be interesting to see how the staff handles being called out on this since it appears that they’ll actually be held accountable for how the team plays this season.

IMO, the best way to coach our subpar frontcourt--at least, defensively--is to place 'em in a zone.  It would probably enhance their shot-blocking prowess.  Owens and Yakwe were the leading shotblockers in the conference last season while primarily playing man and being in foul trouble.  Placing 'em in a zone would allow 'em to get weakside blocks and protect 'em from frequently fouling.

Offensively, Owens actually has decent form and probably is capable of hitting a face up jumper from 10'-12'.  Occasionally, feed him and Yakwe in the post, but if they wanna "eat," then they need to crash the offensive boards.  The staff has to find a way to make this (frontcourt) work or it'll likely be our downfall, this season.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »

IMO, the best way to coach our subpar frontcourt--at least, defensively--is to place 'em in a zone.  It would probably enhance their shot-blocking prowess.  Owens and Yakwe were the leading shotblockers in the conference last season while primarily playing man and being in foul trouble.  Placing 'em in a zone would allow 'em to get weakside blocks and protect 'em from frequently fouling.

Offensively, Owens actually has decent form and probably is capable of hitting a face up jumper from 10'-12'.  Occasionally, feed him and Yakwe in the post, but if they wanna "eat," then they need to crash the offensive boards.  The staff has to find a way to make this (frontcourt) work or it'll likely be our downfall, this season.

They have to play some zone w only 9 players. It is surprising to see Mullin field such a lazy staff considering his reputation for hard work. I’m also surprised to see him stand for it. In fairness, it should be Mullin who gets the credit for our success, or the blame for our failure.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:54:12 AM »
I am not against a zone, but can the staff do it? Remember how bad lavin’s zone looked without Dunlap. We have only played man, that has failed. I am not confident they could implement another defense where they have even less experience teaching. As many of you have told me, “coaching basketball is not hard”. I guess we will see if the staff puts the work and effort in.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »
Very accurate assessment

Need Owens out of foul trouble and Yakwe to step up

I think we probably saw the best of Owens last year. I like how hard he plays, but I think his ceiling is pretty close to what we saw last year unless  he magically adds 30 pounds and a back-to-the basket move, but nobody does that st SJU.

Yakwe on the other hand....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:18:02 AM by Marillac »