Game 2: Central Connecticut State

• 109 replies
Re: Game 2: Central Connecticut State
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
Yakwe and Amar are lost on D.

They are both awful.

I'd rather have Trimble take all of their minutes and take our chances.

If Yakwe can't produce anything for himself against a tesm like this with the minutes he got, we should not expect anything more the rest of year.

I think he's gone next season.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:21:45 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
We're missing FT's now.  Amar with the smart tap out after the miss.

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »
Ali B actually stuck his legs out to defend on the in bounds w/ 30 sec left.

Looked ridiculous

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Wow that was an ugly game.

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
To be fair, I thought Yakwe worked hard defensively. He boxed out, switched on pick and rolls and fought to get back to his man. Actually thought he played better than Owens, and didn't see much of Clark in the second half.

Like you guys have said, Ali is a 12th man who is forced to play the role of the 9th man.

AhMEd continues to be AhMEd, can't spell Ahmed without ME. I'd rather see Trimble take his minutes. The three headed backcourt is serious. Those guys will not miss two open shots in a row.

Sluggish game, but its a W, hopefully they were thinking about Nebraska.

wpc77

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »
Bad interior D.  Look at the numbers from their starting bigs.

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
To be fair, I thought Yakwe worked hard defensively. He boxed out, switched on pick and rolls and fought to get back to his man. Actually thought he played better than Owens, and didn't see much of Clark in the second half.

Like you guys have said, Ali is a 12th man who is forced to play the role of the 9th man.

AhMEd continues to be AhMEd, can't spell Ahmed without ME. I'd rather see Trimble take his minutes. The three headed backcourt is serious. Those guys will not miss two open shots in a row.

Sluggish game, but its a W, hopefully they were thinking about Nebraska.
There was a gaudy big run in the first half (20-2?) and a similar one in the second half.  Yakwe was on the floor for both.  It isn't always about stats.

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
We really don't get much out of playing teams like this, other than giving Trimble a chance to play and letting Clark and Simon shake off some of the rust and get acclimated to playing with Ponds and LoVett. This team plays only in spurts, and they lose their focus when they get up 20 or so. I know it's early, but it seems the team plays better when Ponds and LoVett are not on the court together -- it's clear that our defense is better when they're not both on the floor. Both have to pick up their defensive intensity.

It will interesting to see how we look against Nebraska, a team with legit big 10 size and decent talent.

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
Nebraska will be a real test, have some interior strength.

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
I liked the small lineup of Ponds, LoVett, Simon, Trimble and Yakwe.

desco80

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
I missed the game, but how does Lovett play 30+ mins and not get to the free throw line?   Did CC play zone the whole game?

Poison

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:23 PM »
Yakwe has no offensive move when he posts up. I wonder if he’s considered practicing one of those?

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:16 PM »
Zach B
Top 20 sophomore Nate Tabor form Long Island was a visitor for St. John's win tonight .#sjubb

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Nebraska will be a real test, have some interior strength.

If we have to sweat that game out in the final minutes it will be a very long season for us

Foad

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
You better be careful, as a big, about putting the ball on the floor around our guards. 

I'd enjoy, your posts, more, if you used, more, commas, because commas, make reading, easier. No, seriously, english, as a second language, you should, study, it.

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Couple of times when we had huge leads the guards took the foot off the gas and specifically tried to get Yawke involved offensively, via the post or otherwise.  His play, by and large, the past two years is baffling when compared to what we saw from him as a freshman, when he wasn't supposed to be ready to play.

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
Lovett was off offensively in the first half.  Picked it up in the second.  Both him and Ponds were looking to move the ball and create for others at times, and frankly Lovett was able to free himself for open looks that he didn't go to the rim as much as normal.

I missed the game, but how does Lovett play 30+ mins and not get to the free throw line?   Did CC play zone the whole game?

Poison

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
Justin Simon is shooting 1.000% from three this season.

Foad

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »
Ali B actually stuck his legs out to defend on the in bounds w/ 30 sec left.

Looked ridiculous

Appreciate your input but maybe as important a player as Alibegowitch deserves his own thread? You could discuss his shortcomings at length there and have a back and forth about his positives and negatives and ridiculousnesses and so forth. Because he's a critical player moving forward. Personally I'm hoping he stays for another year or red shirts. What do you say?