Yakwe vs Nebraska

• 30 replies
Re: Yakwe vs Nebraska
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 01:43:37 AM »
Obekpa was one of the best shot blockers/rim protectors I've seen in college basketball, and improved as a rebounder during his time.  He was also a pain the neck, drama-queen and a horrible teammate who cost a bunch of hard working good kids a chance to win a tourney game and give Duke a run for their money (as they did earlier that year), as well as costing the the team the year before a chance to be Providence and make the dance.  Good riddance and I don't want any more guys like him, I don't care how talented they are.

Some guys I was sitting with Thurs night said Yawke works his tail off in practice.  I don't think his puzzling play (and it has been puzzling) is because the kid doesn't try or work hard, or because the staff hasn't worked on things like his offensive game, hands, and general basketball awareness.  I think he is a raw athlete who hasn't progressed.  Sometimes they take longer; and sometimes the basketball skills and acumen don't catch up to the athlete.  I'm pulling for him because he seems like a really nice kid.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
His athleticism is unquestioned.  He's clearly fast, can jump through roof, and is probably quite strong for his size.

That doesn't mean he's got the right coordination, and game time quickness.

He's been playing organized ball for at least 5-6 years and still struggles to do basic tasks like catching a pass, shooting a FT, or not bobbing a rebound, easy putbacks.... things that some junior high schoolers can do.

Can he get better? Maybe, but if he hasn't gotten some of this by now, hard to imagine significant mid junior season or senior year turnaround

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:05:02 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
If we had Obekpa on this roster we'd be the best team in the BE.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
If he decided to show up.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
Another big difference between freshman year and this year is, do we have a big man coach? Freshman year we had Zendon Hamilton coaching the bigs. He hasn't been replaced. Someone wrote there is no chance we would bring him back. Wennington does media work, I think Werdann coaches in the league.

Is there anyone Chris or Mitch could entice to coach up our bigs? Even on a part time basis?

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »

If not the best, I think we'd easily a top 2 or 3 team in the conference.

Obekpa was one of the best shot blockers/rim protectors I've seen in college basketball, and improved as a rebounder during his time.  He was also a pain the neck, drama-queen and a horrible teammate who cost a bunch of hard working good kids a chance to win a tourney game and give Duke a run for their money (as they did earlier that year), as well as costing the the team the year before a chance to be Providence and make the dance.  Good riddance and I don't want any more guys like him, I don't care how talented they are.

We all know about his discord and whatnot while at St. John's.  But, strictly from an ability standpoint, I believe we'd be no worst than a top 3 team in the Big East (if Obekpa was on this particular team).  He improved as a rebounder, as you stated and he was somewhat of an underrated passer.  Between, Obekpa, Owens and Yakwe, we'd possibly average double-digits as a team in blocks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:21:45 AM by mjdinkins »

redslope

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »

If we had Obekpa he'd be in his second year of Grad school--don't think NCAA would approve. ;)

Poison

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
Yakwe’s dunk off the LoVett miss was the biggest play of his college basketball career. He showed marked improvement today. Credit where it’s due.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:45:11 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »

And that’s the rub. I would love it if Tariq Owens were a little stronger, but the guy plays hard every game.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »
Yakwe’s dunk off the LoVett miss was the biggest play of his college basketball career. He showed marked improvement today. Credit where it’s due.

I've been very badly rooting for this kid through his slump last year and into this year. Saw he lost his starting job this year and getting less minutes and was worried he would be out of town quicker than a hiccup. Glad he has played well in a huge win today. Hopefully it inspires confidence in him and coach. We need you Big Kass!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:30:38 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
We are gonna need him today against Missouri too.  Just rebound, defend, dunk and block shots.