What I like about the first 3 games

• 36 replies
What I like about the first 3 games
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:34:38 PM »
- We look like the better team and played like it from start to finish.
- Transfers are just what we needed. Simon is the goods and Clark is efficient. I know some people have been quick to complain about Clark no rebounds or fouls but the guy can catch a ball, dribble a ball, pass a ball, and hasn't missed a FT or 3. Big upgrade!!
- The team is already finding their roles. Owens off the bench comes in seamlessly. Trimble looks very comfy  and has thrived. Yakwe and Amar will have their moments. Even Bash has seemingly adapted.
- Anytime Ponds or Lovett have the ball in their hands I look forward to what they will do next.
- We're undefeated.

Feel free to share your own thoughts
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: What I like about the first 3 games
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
-The first 6 fit so well together.
-Simon and Clark have obvious team first attitudes and their leadership seems to be contagious.
-Lovett off the ball is a back breaker for other teams. Him being able to focus more on just scoring is kind of refreshing.
-Ponds trying his best to grab boards and distribute the basketball and flourishing doing so.
-Size/strength off the bench
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »
I  think your spot on except for Clark. jury's still out.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »
1. We have 3 really good players
2. Secondary players playing a competent role in wnning basketball- Trimble- plays defense can hot open shot- not a gunner>>> Mussini
3. Less 3's
4. It has been 1 game- but we played defense- the bench brought some intensity

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
After watching a bevy of TV games last night, we'd better tighten our chin straps

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »

I'm not sure what's out about him. Skillful versatile big man who can take care of the basketball.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

I'm not sure what's out about him. Skillful versatile big man who can take care of the basketball.
He gets himself into foul trouble. Hasn't been on the court enough to demonstrate the skills and versatility.

Providence has been on TV a few times now, and they are NBA sized. We beat Nebraska because they were bad and we took advantage of that. But Providence, Villanova, Xavier and Seton Hall? That's almost half the Big East schedule where we are waking up sore the next morning.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
Simon has impressed me the most for a variety of reasons. He's going to be very fun to watch. His jumper will come into question at some point, so he has to continue to improve it. However, every other part of his game is strong.

redslope

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »

He gets himself into foul trouble. Hasn't been on the court enough to demonstrate the skills and versatility.

Providence has been on TV a few times now, and they are NBA sized. We beat Nebraska because they were bad and we took advantage of that. But Providence, Villanova, Xavier and Seton Hall? That's almost half the Big East schedule where we are waking up sore the next morning.
To use a sports cliché--Clark is this team's "glue guy".  He does not focus on scoring only the little things so that the team wins.  He is not about self but about team.  What we have not had in a while.

cjfish

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
Quickness will be the key, others may be bigger but no one will approach our quickness and that will led to some upsets.  Would like to see some pressing in order to make the best use of the team quickness.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

If our frontcourt can stay outta foul trouble, and hit the boards and play decently on the defensive end, then we'll be fine.  I doubt Ponds, LoVett, Simon, Ahmed, and Clark all have off games at once, so our bigs need to do the "grunt work" or blue-collar play at a high level, and we'll likely be good to go.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
-The fact of wait until next year, might finally be the year that real progress can happen...
-The Nebraska gam was fun to watch, their style of play can attract more attention to the team and the Big East
-If CA can make that much noise at 80% full, the experience will be that much better %100 full (from what I could tell watching on TV)
-For the first time in a long time the Administration, AD, coaching staff, all seem to be fully engaged and on the  same page, which bolds well for the future.
-Trust the process looks like more then a motto.
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
I like that i saw progress, not just over the first 3 games, but Mullin's first 3 years. I was concerned with our defense, but i like the activity i saw in the last game. We are showing improvement in both talent level and execution. We still lack depth and size on the inside and it may come back to haunt us later in the year but i like the direction the program appears to be heading in. Plus the AD has improving facilities on his agenda which is a good thing. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:08:03 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
Couldn't have done much better for our first 3 games. The Rutgers game taught us some valuable lessons about playing real defense, focusing on team rebounding, and playing a full 40 minutes. There will still be bumps along the way, but we have an elite backcourt, team speed, and athleticism that will make us a tough matchup for many teams. Our offense is balanced and team centered, and we did fine on a night when we didn't shoot well from deep. We will have nights where we run people out of the gym. A definite improvement from last year in overall talent and approach to the game. It's early,, but there are good signs. Should be a fun year.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
The W's.

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »
If we can stay healthy we will at least be a bubble team. 
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »

To use a sports cliché--Clark is this team's "glue guy".  He does not focus on scoring only the little things so that the team wins.  He is not about self but about team.  What we have not had in a while.

Simon is the glue guy. Not Clark. Clark hasn’t played enough to be a glue guy.

ras

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
The defense against Nebraska looked liked night and day compared to last year. Rebounding also improved. Looks like kids are buying into Mullins system and Mullin maybe a better coach than many think. But, can’t get too excited over 1 game. Nexts weeks tourney will tell a lot. I have said previously Simon is the glue guy. Does a lot of things well and is unselfish.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 04:51:28 PM »

His first 3 games in over a year of action I'd expect some fouls. I'm not sweating it as I can see the skill and composure beyond the fouls.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »

His first 3 games in over a year of action I'd expect some fouls. I'm not sweating it as I can see the skill and composure beyond the fouls.

We'd be lost without him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.