Hope

• 101 replies
Re: Hope
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
WASJU, remember when Yakwes struggles were pinned on Sima?  Undersized front court players need to make up for their height by excelling in other areas. I thought it would be rebouding but despite his elite athleticism its not the case. He can’t dribble, pass, or shoot at a division two level. And his instincts unfortunately can only improve so much. In a limited role with 4 basketball players around him he can contribute.

I don't disagree with anything you posted but his athleticism doesn't even appear elite any longer. Even with all his faults could you imagine he would be this bad? At times it looks like they pulled him out of the stands and slapped a jersey on him.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
At the beginning of the season, the team was playing solid basketball with a full compliment of players and they were never going to an offensive force..   last season everyone complained about the defense and to start the season, the defensive improvement was all everyone was talking about a couple of weeks ago.

The team has lost 15ppg  - for a team that struggles offensively,  it's a really big deal. Not having Lovett on the court completely changes the offense.

I am not defending the coaching staff because you are only as good as your record and I do think a Mike Rice type coach would really help.The team has not played well of late but even when they played well (Seton Hall & Creighton) they are coming up short. I am not sure how the fans expect a team to replace the production of their second best player. I do think its ridiculous that they have not been a little more upfront about the extent of Lovett's injury.

There is ZERO chance of the school making a change at year end and people saying Mullin should resign are insane. He is an incredibly competitive person and losing bothers him 10x more than the players.
Not trying to be disrespectful towards you or anyone on board. But if coach Mullin was so competitive why is st. Jean doing all coaching? Usually when things go bad the head coach takes a bigger role.
Mullin great player. Mullin seems like a great guy. As a player hard worker. As a coach- does he recruit? Does he coach?
We can argue about how talented this team is, we shouldn’t be dead last

I think Mullin's decision to appear hands off was a huge error on his part. Maybe other coaches act this way, but because he is Chris Mullin and never did it before, most of us paid more attention to his sideline demeanor? But as I stated earlier I was right behind Gtown bench and Ewing was much more involved with everything that was going on.

I don’t think it was his decision to appear hands off. I think he felt really uncomfortable addressing 10 guys less than half his age in a huddle. That is a skill that is really under appreciated and taken for granted. He’s gotten better and more used to it like I thought he would but it’s still a huge disadvantage vs nearly every other division 1 coach.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
At the beginning of the season, the team was playing solid basketball with a full compliment of players and they were never going to an offensive force..   last season everyone complained about the defense and to start the season, the defensive improvement was all everyone was talking about a couple of weeks ago.

The team has lost 15ppg  - for a team that struggles offensively,  it's a really big deal. Not having Lovett on the court completely changes the offense.

I am not defending the coaching staff because you are only as good as your record and I do think a Mike Rice type coach would really help.The team has not played well of late but even when they played well (Seton Hall & Creighton) they are coming up short. I am not sure how the fans expect a team to replace the production of their second best player. I do think its ridiculous that they have not been a little more upfront about the extent of Lovett's injury.

There is ZERO chance of the school making a change at year end and people saying Mullin should resign are insane. He is an incredibly competitive person and losing bothers him 10x more than the players.
Not trying to be disrespectful towards you or anyone on board. But if coach Mullin was so competitive why is st. Jean doing all coaching? Usually when things go bad the head coach takes a bigger role.
Mullin great player. Mullin seems like a great guy. As a player hard worker. As a coach- does he recruit? Does he coach?

I think Mullin's decision to appear hands off was a huge error on his part. Maybe other coaches act this way, but because he is Chris Mullin and never did it before, most of us paid more attention to his sideline demeanor? But as I stated earlier I was right behind Gtown bench and Ewing was much more involved with everything that was going on.

I don’t think it was his decision to appear hands off. I think he felt really uncomfortable addressing 10 guys less than half his age in a huddle. That is a skill that is really under appreciated and taken for granted. He’s gotten better and more used to it like I thought he would but it’s still a huge disadvantage vs nearly every other division 1 coach.

Maybe. Don't know but would be surprising.  If that was the case then probably wasn't wise decision to take this on.

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

Patrick is exceeding expecations, I think he'll be there a long time

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »
Difference between Patrick and Chris is that Patrick paid his dues.

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

Maybe. Don't know but would be surprising.  If that was the case then probably wasn't wise decision to take this on.

Maybe this is agreeing with your original point but I think his initial hope was that he could take an NBA approach, have a good gameplan with good players and let the game play out. Unfortunately for that, in a 40 minute college game every single possession matters and players need to be reeled in or motivated constantly throughout.

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Maybe this is agreeing with your original point but I think his initial hope was that he could take an NBA approach, have a good gameplan with good players and let the game play out. Unfortunately for that, in a 40 minute college game every single possession matters and players need to be reeled in or motivated constantly throughout.

Don't know if anyone mentioned but how did they leave their best 3 point shooter in the game after a TO with 4 fouls in a fouling situation? Why didn't they sub out Clark when they were fouling then put him back in after the FT? It was the bonus not a 1 and 1. Little thing but still.

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »

Don't know if anyone mentioned but how did they leave their best 3 point shooter in the game after a TO with 4 fouls in a fouling situation? Why didn't they sub out Clark when they were fouling then put him back in after the FT? It was the bonus not a 1 and 1. Little thing but still.

Great point and rest of staff should be all over that shit

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

Theo noted that somewhere. I was equally shocked that he put Marv at top of zone press, dangerous place when in foul trouble.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:15:32 PM by paultzman »

Johnny23

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
Patrick and staff in Year 1 are way ahead of Mullin and staff in Year 3. Patrick gets it and isn't afraid to ream a guy out if he makes a mistake. His staff is also heavy on experience. Some key differences.

pmg911

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »

A good example to see the difference in how they built a staff

Georgetown hired Louis Orr - experienced college coach, been around  the Big East, previous head coaching experience, we have no one like that on staff. They also hired an experience recruiter, Robert Kirby,, who had previously worked at the school and recruited high level players to Georgetown. Then they hired a guy with local ties to the Maryland area - SMART hires all around.

Part of being a great coach is to put the right people around you and it is something St. John's has just not done.

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »

I don't think this is little at all.  My buddy and I were saying the same thing at the time, why the hell do you have a guy in with 4 fouls in a fouling situation?  Even if the approach was to try to steal first,  Clarke should not  have been on the ball. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Patrick and staff in Year 1 are way ahead of Mullin and staff in Year 3. Patrick gets it and isn't afraid to ream a guy out if he makes a mistake. His staff is also heavy on experience. Some key differences.

Patrick took over an established/relevant Big East program. Mullin has more work to do but its heading in the right direction. He is running an NBA style system. We don't have the horses for that and unfortunately I don't believe he is comfortable running anything else. That's where his in-experience hurts. He is to reliant on the horses, but they are coming even though we continue to struggle. 

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »

Patrick took over an established/relevant Big East program. Mullin has more work to do but its heading in the right direction. He is running an NBA style system. We don't have the horses for that and unfortunately I don't believe he is comfortable running anything else. That's where his in-experience hurts. He is to reliant on the horses, but they are coming even though we continue to struggle. 

I disagree, Georgetown was in the midst of a significant fade for a few years under JTIII. 

BTW-I don't think either one has proven squat, all Patrick has proven is he can beat a lot of really bad teams.  Not sure why anyone feels the need to praise Patrick at the expense of Chris, neither has proven anything.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
Here are Georgetown's wins this year:

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »

A good example to see the difference in how they built a staff

Georgetown hired Louis Orr - experienced college coach, been around  the Big East, previous head coaching experience, we have no one like that on staff. They also hired an experience recruiter, Robert Kirby,, who had previously worked at the school and recruited high level players to Georgetown. Then they hired a guy with local ties to the Maryland area - SMART hires all around.

Part of being a great coach is to put the right people around you and it is something St. John's has just not done.

Spot on  Patyy

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Johnny23

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 01:19:49 PM »

I disagree, Georgetown was in the midst of a significant fade for a few years under JTIII. 

BTW-I don't think either one has proven squat, all Patrick has proven is he can beat a lot of really bad teams.  Not sure why anyone feels the need to praise Patrick at the expense of Chris, neither has proven anything.

This. G'town hasn't been a relevant program in at least 5 years and closer to 10.

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »

This. G'town hasn't been a relevant program in at least 5 years and closer to 10.

What is our relevancy clock at currently?

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I was obviously using hyperbole to make a point.  He has 1 top 100 win so far and that believe it or not is from last night and anyone who saw that game would tell you Dr. Naismith is not clapping after that display.

What in God's name has he done so far to tell you his hire or his way is working anymore than Chris'?  Nothing except an ugly 3 point win in a game his team did everything but give away last night.

And staff.  For crying out loud a decent high school staff with some team managers could win 10 games with that schedule.