Need players

• 126 replies
Re: Need players
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
owens will be great at the 4 next year. Good touch and not as physically out matched.

Need a ball handler that can get into the lane and set up Ponds. Either you think his 38% on 200 attempts along with his highschool career as a shooter was a joke or you think the 17 games this year as the primary option are. Im going with slump.

His HS career? Yes I think last year was an outlier.
I like Ponds and he is a very good player. His form is a mess which helps explain his 18% 3 point shooting.
BTW I hit 425 as a Junior in HS. True story. My college coach didn't take that into consideration unfortunately. Wish you had been around to plead my case.

Lol seriously?

425? Yep
Got hurt Senior year but rode Junior year to D1 free ride. But didn't translate to good College pitching. Which was my point as it pertained to Ponds HS shooting.

Nice!  Trick must be to get the kids who cant shoot well in high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuwvD8oXRw

No but sometimes it doesn't translate. I don't care what he did in HS his form is terrible. Too many moving parts, and brings it up from low. Also never, ever squares up. Has to clean it up. 18% is not a slump. But truthfully even if shooting at a much better clip I would not trust his shot. Shoots like Greg Anthony used to.

See I said after first game his form has changed a little from last year. He fades and takes uncessarily tough shots. That is selection and a little laziness but I do not think he is a bad shooter. I dont think his form is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Did kind of like your golf putter comparison. Maybe stick to those and get over your baseball career. We get it ;)

Lovett shot a real jumper. And he was a solid shooter not great. Watch his form next to Ponds and tell me what shot gives you a better shot to be successful.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
owens will be great at the 4 next year. Good touch and not as physically out matched.

Need a ball handler that can get into the lane and set up Ponds. Either you think his 38% on 200 attempts along with his highschool career as a shooter was a joke or you think the 17 games this year as the primary option are. Im going with slump.

I like Ponds and he is a very good player. His form is a mess which helps explain his 18% 3 point shooting.
BTW I hit 425 as a Junior in HS. True story. My college coach didn't take that into consideration unfortunately. Wish you had been around to plead my case.

Lol seriously?

425? Yep
Got hurt Senior year but rode Junior year to D1 free ride. But didn't translate to good College pitching. Which was my point as it pertained to Ponds HS shooting.

No but sometimes it doesn't translate. I don't care what he did in HS his form is terrible. Too many moving parts, and brings it up from low. Also never, ever squares up. Has to clean it up. 18% is not a slump. But truthfully even if shooting at a much better clip I would not trust his shot. Shoots like Greg Anthony used to.

See I said after first game his form has changed a little from last year. He fades and takes uncessarily tough shots. That is selection and a little laziness but I do not think he is a bad shooter. I dont think his form is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Did kind of like your golf putter comparison. Maybe stick to those and get over your baseball career. We get it ;)

Lovett shot a real jumper. And he was a solid shooter not great. Watch his form next to Ponds and tell me what shot gives you a better shot to be successful.

I thought Lovett was best shooter on team and better shooter than ponds with feett set catch and shoot situations.

FTR
"BTW I look at jump shots the way I look at baseball swings. You can be a great hitter w/o having a pretty swing but it is nice to watch a great hitter with a pretty swing. " -wasju

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:33:26 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 03:09:39 PM »
The sit outs will be good bump next year. Probably needed an Ellison or Mussini this year in addition to Williams. I'm convinced Lovett is gone forever and heard through some agent friends he's declaring for draft. I'd also be concerned that Owens will be a 5th year graduate at season's end. Will have to fend off poachers.
Wouldn't Trump have to reinstitute the draft for Lovett to be able to declare for it?

Johnny23

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
I hear that Lithuanian draft is looking real good for ML.

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep

I thought Lovett was best shooter on team and better shooter than ponds with feett set catch and shoot situations.

FTR
"BTW I look at jump shots the way I look at baseball swings. You can be a great hitter w/o having a pretty swing but it is nice to watch a great hitter with a pretty swing. "

Jalen Rose became a very good shooter with bad form. It just makes things harder though. It is not as much the form as it is the drifting on the shot and the moving parts. He has to simplify it. Again I like Ponds and very good player. Just don't trust his shot. Unfortunately 82% of the time I have good reason not to.

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
He's 4 of 32 in BE play so far...

12.5% 

Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
He's 4 of 32 in BE play so far...

12.5% 

Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Approaching AliB territory. What is the Mendoza line for 3 pt shooting in basketball? 20%?

cjfish

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »
Unlike HS Ponds is not squaring up and he is drifting.  Hard to believe CM cant fix this.

QuanMan

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
He's down to 17.1% from 3 (11/64), over his last 4 games he's hit 2 of 25 from downtown. Whatever the mechanical flaw, he should really stop shooting long range shots and fix his form in the offseason. The staff should be realizing these numbers and telling him to operate inside the arc until further notice. At the very least start shooting inside and work himself out. Numbers aside the kid loves putting on the uniform, plays hurt and is a winner.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »
Griffin or Newell grab for next year with O’Toole or Rice added to staff

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
He's down to 17.1% from 3 (11/64), over his last 4 games he's hit 2 of 25 from downtown. Whatever the mechanical flaw, he should really stop shooting long range shots and fix his form in the offseason. The staff should be realizing these numbers and telling him to operate inside the arc until further notice. At the very least start shooting inside and work himself out. Numbers aside the kid loves putting on the uniform, plays hurt and is a winner.

Could work in the pros, but tough to only shoot inside the arc in college as a guard. He can't just drive all game. Teams not going to just let him shoot  open 15 foot jumpers

TONYD3

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
We need a high major D1 coach and high major D1 staff. A band aid is replacing a lazy staff member. The only answer is to replace them all. There is no excuse for 0-6. Everything that has stood in the way of St.John’s winning games is on the staff.

Enough is enough. I’m not interested in waiting to see if Chris Mullin is willing to accept that he’s not cut out for this. The braintrust that hired him is pathetic. They have no idea what they’re doing, but at St.John’s should we expect anything more? This is what this institution is. One big red shit storm.
Yes

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
We need a high major D1 coach and high major D1 staff. A band aid is replacing a lazy staff member. The only answer is to replace them all. There is no excuse for 0-6. Everything that has stood in the way of St.John’s winning games is on the staff.

Enough is enough. I’m not interested in waiting to see if Chris Mullin is willing to accept that he’s not cut out for this. The braintrust that hired him is pathetic. They have no idea what they’re doing, but at St.John’s should we expect anything more? This is what this institution is. One big red shit storm.

No!  Completely incorrect.  That is so short-term focused.   You are being facetious?

If you send the staff away, all the players leave next year, and the program probably never bounces back.  Simple as that. 

Even if you are absolutely disgusted with coaching, or the on the court performance despite having such a short-handed team.... A fan must absolutely root for Mullin this year and next , to come back, bring all the recruits in, and let him go to fight on equal footing next year with a full team.

It doesn't matter that year got blown. We all know it.  So the only focus has to be on next year. Bring back all or most of coaching staff next year, bring in all recruits, and play some ball.   

This team took #1 Nova deep in a game; took Az St. deep in a game.  Yes, they blew some easier games; but just those two games alone show that these kids can play. They just need a little more help.

Yes, criticize coaching, or player choices on the court....but a lot of the kids can really play.  It's so freagn' close to coming together... can't you see that?

If staff leaves, and it might be another five to eight years before the team is in the same spot.   I really don't want to wait eight years? do you?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:32:32 PM by RedmenNYC »

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »

Yes

No and no for both of you.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »

Yes

Why should he be retained as coach? What has he done that has earned him that as a coach?

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »
I believe we'll improve next year, but if they don't, i still dint see him leaving unless there is a really low contract buyout clause or similar.

All the $ saved can go into CA seatbacks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:11:55 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:55 PM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

Marillac , having met you I can honestly say you are a good guy and in the past I generally  could see your point even if I didn't agree with it. So no disrespect meant when I say this year some of the stuff you are saying basketball wise is insane. Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory and your Simon hate is bizarre. He is clearly our 2nd best player. Flaws and all. Not even sure who could challenge that. A s far as shooting, UGH. Ponds is a very good player. Fun to watch and w/o him we might not score 25 points. He can't shoot. Statistically he is terrible and he also fails the eye test. Form is a disaster. Only guy whose outside shot I think can go in is a 6-7 guy who needs to be open with his feet completely set. I don't care if John Stockton and Magic Johnson's point guard love child came to play for us. No one is making this bunch good shooters.

Ponds just dropped 37 pts on over 50% shooting on the #1 team in the country. He did so being the only player on the team that can dribble the basketball, being forced to cover a future NBA player, and being required to be our best rebounder. His shooting mechanics are fine and his release is perfect. He front rims a lot of shots because he has no legs playing the entire game and carrying 4 dudes who can't control their bodies at all. It's a really bad sign when Ahmed is the second best dribbler inside the three point line.

Simon, Clark, and Owens take layups like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a large rock. None of those guys are capable of changing their pace or direction, utilizing a jump stop, or making a shot fake in the lane. Simon and Clark look like they are trying to throw a javelin 100 yards when they take "floaters."

Ponds just scored at will on Nova the second half and it wasn't enough because he made the mistake of passing the ball. Three times he had to get the ball back when Simon tried give it away. I think Simon's mistakes are so puzzling they catch teams off guard and his teammates are able to get it back.

Clark is shooting 43.8% on 4.1 attempts
Lovett was shooting 38.5% on 5.6 attempts
Ahmed is shooting 36% on 4.2 attempts
Owens is shooting 33.3% on 1.0 attempts
Trimble is shooting 30.0% on 2.4 attempts
Simon is shooting 50.0% on .7 attempts

And Ponds shot 38% last year on 6 attempts and has to be guarded at all
times this year regardless of his % (made three shots with his foot on the line at Nova). We're not losing because we can't shoot. We can't dribble.

Dwight Hardy shot 35.4% on 5.3 attempts when we made the tournament and he was universally considered oirnbest shooter then.

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

Marillac , having met you I can honestly say you are a good guy and in the past I generally  could see your point even if I didn't agree with it. So no disrespect meant when I say this year some of the stuff you are saying basketball wise is insane. Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory and your Simon hate is bizarre. He is clearly our 2nd best player. Flaws and all. Not even sure who could challenge that. A s far as shooting, UGH. Ponds is a very good player. Fun to watch and w/o him we might not score 25 points. He can't shoot. Statistically he is terrible and he also fails the eye test. Form is a disaster. Only guy whose outside shot I think can go in is a 6-7 guy who needs to be open with his feet completely set. I don't care if John Stockton and Magic Johnson's point guard love child came to play for us. No one is making this bunch good shooters.

Ponds just dropped 37 pts on over 50% shooting on the #1 team in the country. He did so being the only player on the team that can dribble the basketball, being forced to cover a future NBA player, and being required to be our best rebounder. His shooting mechanics are fine and his release is perfect. He front rims a lot of shots because he has no legs playing the entire game and carrying 4 dudes who can't control their bodies at all. It's a really bad sign when Ahmed is the second best dribbler inside the three point line.

Simon, Clark, and Owens take layups like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a large rock. None of those guys are capable of changing their pace or direction, utilizing a jump stop, or making a shot fake in the lane. Simon and Clark look like they are trying to throw a javelin 100 yards when they take "floaters."

Ponds just scored at will on Nova the second half and it wasn't enough because he made the mistake of passing the ball. Three times he had to get the ball back when Simon tried give it away. I think Simon's mistakes are so puzzling they catch teams off guard and his teammates are able to get it back.

Clark is shooting 43.8% on 4.1 attempts
Lovett was shooting 38.5% on 5.6 attempts
Ahmed is shooting 36% on 4.2 attempts
Owens is shooting 33.3% on 1.0 attempts
Trimble is shooting 30.0% on 2.4 attempts
Simon is shooting 50.0% on .7 attempts

And Ponds shot 38% last year on 6 attempts and has to be guarded at all
times this year regardless of his % (made three shots with his foot on the line at Nova). We're not losing because we can't shoot. We can't dribble.

Dwight Hardy shot 35.4% on 5.3 attempts when we made the tournament and he was universally considered oirnbest shooter then.

He is shooting 18% on threes.
Yes on all other shots he is a dynamic player.
For the last time Simon is a very good ballhandler.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »

Yes

Why should he be retained as coach? What has he done that has earned him that as a coach?

He's shown that he's not a great or very good coach and that is all. We don't have enough skill on the roster right now. Trimble is terrified to bounce the ball at all. Simon and Clarke are basically automatic turnovers after the second bounce in traffic and Ahmed can't pass to save his life.

This is the worst ball-handling team I've ever seen. How do you overcome that? That falls on the staff for having to rely on a schmuck like Lovett, but they've already learned that lesson and have Dixon and Williams for next season with a ship to give. I think we're around 14 wins if we had a capable backup caliber PG.

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
Simon is dynamic and i like him (minus his shot mechanics) but he has been sloppy& lazy with ball when passing more than a few times....part of ball handling 

Compare that to Nova's crisp passing
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:43:56 PM by RedStormNC »