Need players

• 126 replies
Re: Need players
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
False. Simon is our best post defender, and he doesn't rebound from the wing at all! He averages only 1.7 offensive boards per game, and as far as I can tell most of those are off his own missed chippies. 9 times this season he has had 0 or 1 offensive boards. That is inexcusable for a kid with his athletic ability and a 7'3 wingspan. He should be averaging 3.5 per game.

Only Angel Delgado averages more than 3.5 offensive rebounds per game in the Big East.

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2018, 11:49:22 AM »
Marillac killing it. Been saying for a while Simon should play the 4 on offense. Eliminates his help defender and puts him in a better position to score. He is a very good passer because of his height and vision, not because of his break down ability.

No he is out of his mind. Simon rebounds well because he is coming in from the guard spot or the wing. If he played the four would be manhandled. Plus he is just saying Simon can't dribble so that it makes Ponds better. He is also inventing his own stats. Surprised Fun has not eviscerated him yet .

Him playing the 4 on OFFENSE  does not take away from his rebounding from the wing what so ever.  Clark plays on the peremiter on offense but guards the 4 on defense. Vice versa for Simon.

So you are going to have him post up? Play down low? His penetration up top is our 2nd best offense after Ponds driving the ball. Let me here some more stats on how Ponds is a good outside shooter. On night's that it is over 50 degrees in HS he shot 35% from three?

How is this hard to understand man? Did pointer ever post up? I’m saying you need to play him in the mind and high post. This way his man can not stay in the lane and help on everything. This way he needs to be respected as a threat to shoot. This way he can pass to shooters on the outside. This way he can get to the hoop with 1 or 2 dribbles. This was he can use his size as an advantage inside.  You have two guys in Ahmed and Clark who are both much better shooters and hang around the perimeter. They are also more physically built so they can guard the opposing 3 and 4.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »
And since when is someone abilities in high school not used to judge their abilities at the next level? Get over yourself

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
We're not losing because we can't shoot. We can't dribble.

We're not losing because we can't shoot or we can't dribble.  We're losing because we've lost our best or 2nd best player and we have nobody to replace him with. 

We've fallen and can't get up.

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory 

Phil Greene was attacked mercilessly on this board and I defended him.  Some low brow posters had even come up with derogatory nicknames for him such as the "circle".

The worst thing anybody has said about Ponds is that Lovett was good. 

Apples to oranges.

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »

Why should he be retained as coach? 

Because Norm Roberts got 6 years.

Ok, so we should draw hope from the 6 terrible seasons we had with Norm Roberts?

No.  But we should remain loyal to Chris Mullin.  For after all...well he's Chris Mullin.

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
Let me ask you this, Carmine: what is our record of we replace Ponds with a second Simon? What about if we had two Shamories and no Simon? I say 0-6 and 5-1, respectively.
Please. Even g*d or a genius like me can't answer these questions.
I don't dislike Simon.
You could have fooled me.
but let's also not act like that's not the reason we can't win this year.
The reasons we haven't won this year are that Lovett got hurt and we don't have enough players.  Yet alone good ones.

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
And since when is someone abilities in high school not used to judge their abilities at the next level? Get over yourself

All the time. You can go on Staten Island and find a 6-3 Center averaging 30 points a game who will not play D 1 anywhere.
Ponds can't shoot. If you don't want to take my word for it take my friend Stat Sheet's word for it.
Ponds is a really good player. But you simply can't argue 18%. Even if you don't like my breakdown of his shooting, you can't argue 18%.
And I like Simon as the primary or secondary ball handler. Like he has been. Don't get wrapped up in Marillac blaming Simon for Ponds being a bad outside shooter.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:29:00 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory 

Phil Greene was attacked mercilessly on this board and I defended him.  Some low brow posters had even come up with derogatory nicknames for him such as the "circle".

The worst thing anybody has said about Ponds is that Lovett was good. 

Apples to oranges.

I will give you credit for not blaming Harrison for Greene's shortcomings. You need to show Marillac the proper way to obsess over someone. But then again Ponds is way better than Greene so he at least has better taste.

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »

All the time. You can go on Staten Island and find a 6-3 Center averaging 30 points a game who will not play D 1 anywhere.

WASJU you are not this stupid!  You know why the division 3 coach recruited him? because he liked what he did in highschool.

When you got your academic scholorship had they never seen you play?  Did they hear you were awful and decided to just take a chance? No im sure they saw what you were good at and wanted to use it in college.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:11:28 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »

Ponds can't shoot. If you don't want to take my word for it take my friend Stat Sheet's word for it.
Ponds is a really good player. But you simply can't argue 18%. Even if you don't like my breakdown of his shooting, you can't argue 18%.
And I like Simon as the primary or secondary ball handler. Like he has been. Don't get wrapped up in Marillac blaming Simon for Ponds being a bad outside shooter.

This Ponds can't shoot thing is ridiculous. His form is good and his release is as pure as it gets. We're talking about a kid that shoots almost 90% from the FT line! He shot 37.5% from three last year on an absurd 6.1 attempts. Most of those were set shots. It's easy to forget that when he hits a bomb every so often or pulls up in transition. His $ shot last year was that impossibly fast corner trey off ball reversal or a drive and kick.

His shot selection sucks this year, I'll admit that, but how else is he going to get an open look? The staff is jamming an NBA iso system down these kids throats and we don't have the personnel to play that way. We can pass....do that. All they do for Ponds is give him high ball screens so he has to shoot off the bounce. Why not run him off a cross screen to post up his man down low a few times to keep his man honest and then off some screens in the lane or baseline to get him a set shot from the corner?

And when I talk about putting Simon in the post, it's as a passer and face-up. He can do some damage there with his skill set and length. You have to respect his ability to get a shot off there against a four, so help has to come off our shooters. That's when you go inside-out. It will improve spacing drastically.

Moose

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »

Why should he be retained as coach? 

Because Norm Roberts got 6 years.

Ok, so we should draw hope from the 6 terrible seasons we had with Norm Roberts?

No.  But we should remain loyal to Chris Mullin.  For after all...well he's Chris Mullin.

Yea that's a real solid line of thinking
Remember who broke the Slice news

cjfish

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
The worst thing this program could do would be to fire Mullin in the next two years...the program would go down the tubes for another 10 years unless we brought Pitino out of retirement and became a bandit program.

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
The worst thing this program could do would be to fire Mullin in the next two years...the program would go down the tubes for another 10 years unless we brought Pitino out of retirement and became a bandit program.

I don't agree at all. You can't just keep the job because your last name is Mullin. If things don't improve greatly you have to make the change.

Poison

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »

I don't agree at all. You can't just keep the job because your last name is Mullin. If things don't improve greatly you have to make the change.

I completely agree. Mullin deserves the next two and a half months to show us that he’s able to make adjustments and win some games. In year 3, if he can’t make the ncaas or the nit, or he can go f himself.

Poison

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
Let me ask you this, Carmine: what is our record of we replace Ponds with a second Simon? What about if we had two Shamories and no Simon? I say 0-6 and 5-1, respectively.
I don't dislike Simon.
The reasons we haven't won this year are that Lovett got hurt and we don't have enough players.  Yet alone good ones.

We didn’t have enough players in May of last year. That was when the staff should have been given the cattle prod. That alone is enough to warrant moving on. At least Lavin recruited.

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »

This talk of firing Mullin is absurd. It's a knee jerk reaction to losing. How the hell could he have been ready for an all world pvssy like Lovett guided by a father with an IQ measured at a staggering 91 (credit to Fun for that nugget). Lovett presumably cost him Ellison via transfer and Mussini opting to play b level Euro ball. We're talking about a coach who had two years of dealing with teenage players when this all hit the fan. Lesson learned:  don't take chances on kids like Lovett or international kids like RF as FM without a safety net or two in place.

I wrote in the summer after Mussini left:  "What happens if Ponds sprains his ankle? The season just ends?" It ended up being Lovett, but the logic is the same. He and the great hobbit Matt A messed up by not having a plan b for Lovett, and they almost got away with it. They'll never make these mistakes again.

Marillac

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
I don't dislike Simon.

We didn’t have enough players in May of last year. That was when the staff should have been given the cattle prod. That alone is enough to warrant moving on. At least Lavin recruited.
Agreed on the first part but you don't fire someone for a one time mistake. This is a foreseeable consequence of hiring someone with no coaching experience.

Poison

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2018, 09:14:34 PM »

This talk of firing Mullin is absurd. It's a knee jerk reaction to losing. How the hell could he have been ready for an all world pvssy like Lovett guided by a father with an IQ measured at a staggering 91 (credit to Fun for that nugget). Lovett presumably cost him Ellison via transfer and Mussini opting to play b level Euro ball. We're talking about a coach who had two years of dealing with teenage players when this all hit the fan. Lesson learned:  don't take chances on kids like Lovett or international kids like RF as FM without a safety net or two in place.

I wrote in the summer after Mussini left:  "What happens if Ponds sprains his ankle? The season just ends?" It ended up being Lovett, but the logic is the same. He and the great hobbit Matt A messed up by not having a plan b for Lovett, and they almost got away with it. They'll never make these mistakes again.

You are what your record is.

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »

This talk of firing Mullin is absurd. It's a knee jerk reaction to losing.

It's only absurd because you didn't say it first.

Listen up, dude....  I'll give him another season (although, I would understand dismissing him, if we were to finish up with 1 or 2 conference wins), and understand that he'll be here next season.  But, if he doesn't make it to the NCAA Tournament a season from now, then he needs to be removed.  Period!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:22:42 PM by mjdinkins »