Game 19: @#11 Xavier

• 227 replies
Re: Game 19: @#11 Xavier
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2018, 03:26:03 PM »
I picture you looking like a cross between Joe Walsh, Elmore Leonard and Larry David.

Oh come on, I'm much better looking than that. A virile six feet - not too short not too tall - a manly beard, full head of short cropped salt and pepper hair, distinguished gray temples. Picture George Clooney, add 30 pound and put him in gray sweat pants and a stained white tee shirt.

Figured you had that angry, eccentric genius look going. Kurt Vonnegut maybe. You know 1970's college professor thing. Tweed jacket , smoking a pipe and drinking a scotch. Don't ruin it for me. Was bad enough when I met Baldi and he didn't look like Sen John Blutarsky. Though in fairness was not that far off on that one.

I forgot Poison in earlier post. In my head he looks like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon for some reason.

Blutarski is a compliment. Guy was a champ

Was meant as such

« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
I picture you looking like a cross between Joe Walsh, Elmore Leonard and Larry David.

Oh come on, I'm much better looking than that. A virile six feet - not too short not too tall - a manly beard, full head of short cropped salt and pepper hair, distinguished gray temples. Picture George Clooney, add 30 pound and put him in gray sweat pants and a stained white tee shirt.

Figured you had that angry, eccentric genius look going. Kurt Vonnegut maybe. You know 1970's college professor thing. Tweed jacket , smoking a pipe and drinking a scotch. Don't ruin it for me. Was bad enough when I met Baldi and he didn't look like Sen John Blutarsky. Though in fairness was not that far off on that one.

I forgot Poison in earlier post. In my head he looks like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon for some reason.

Blutarski is a compliment. Guy was a champ

Was meant as such

My advice to you, is to start drinking heavily

Poison

« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
Man 3 LAY up opportunities first Clark then Ponds twice to get the lead to 5 and they can't convert...

They are owed some good luck...make some shots here last 7 minutes...
Clark misses just about every layup opportunity.

All year.
Add this to his rebounding woes and it seems Mr. Clark has an aversion to the basket and the backboard or maybe he is just allergic to them.

I watched him play at Mich st. Really surprising about his rebounding.
IMO the reasons we are as bad as we are :
1. Lovett
2. Lack of depth / zombie Yakwe
3. Lack of toughness / rebounding from Clark
4. Ponds outside shooting

Agreed. There was a lack of awareness on the defensive glass from everyone. Mullin isn't teaching his players fundamentals, or if he is, they aren't listening to him. Last night should have showed every fan of this program that the team just doesn't have a plan.

Foad

« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
Man 3 LAY up opportunities first Clark then Ponds twice to get the lead to 5 and they can't convert...

All year.
Add this to his rebounding woes and it seems Mr. Clark has an aversion to the basket and the backboard or maybe he is just allergic to them.

1. Lovett

Agreed. There was a lack of awareness on the defensive glass from everyone. Mullin isn't teaching his players fundamentals, or if he is, they aren't listening to him. Last night should have showed every fan of this program that the team just doesn't have a plan.

Last night they played the #11 team in the country to a draw for 35 minutes. It didn't show anyone anything they didn't already know

You didn't like the Mullin hire two years ago, you still don't like it. Fine. Don't pretend that every game is an epiphany. Because it's not.

« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
A few things are absolutely clear:
- The team does not box out
- Few picks are set for Ponds or Simon and no pick and rolls
- There are few offensive plays set up to get someone open
- everyone always drops off their man to try to help out in the middle, regardless of how many threes their man is making. Maybe they should try not dropping off the hot man.
- They need to hire an assistant coach to address the above issues

cjfish

« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
And few baseline and foulline extended off-the-ball screens, an excellent way to get some good looks inside and out.

« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

All year.

1. Lovett

No.

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
As great as Walden was against Nova - Garfunkel was just as great against Xavier.  If we could ever get our 1 and new 2 going at the same time we might win a game.