The Perfect Coach for ST John's

• 186 replies
Re: The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Fire all the assistant coaches. Maybe Dunlap gets fired after another awful year at LMU, hire him. If not, get Carlesimo or anyone with some serious coaching experience. Even Rice. Hire a black coach with some ties to AAU. The current staff needs to be gone, they are lost out there, it's noticeable

wpc77

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
Fire all the assistant coaches. Maybe Dunlap gets fired after another awful year at LMU, hire him. If not, get Carlesimo or anyone with some serious coaching experience. Even Rice. Hire a black coach with some ties to AAU. The current staff needs to be gone, they are lost out there, it's noticeable

If Mullin does clean house, I would expect him to go to who he knows for help.  Such as Mario Elie, and the UC Irvine head coach Turner (if he gets fired)

goredmen

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
This name might rile the feathers as a potential assistant, but what's Paul Hewitt up to these days? From the area, was a solid recruiter and had success as a head coach. Would have no clue if he'd be interested in being an assistant at the college level but I have no idea what he's been up to since he got fired from George Mason

wpc77

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2018, 11:31:41 PM »
This name might rile the feathers as a potential assistant, but what's Paul Hewitt up to these days? From the area, was a solid recruiter and had success as a head coach. Would have no clue if he'd be interested in being an assistant at the college level but I have no idea what he's been up to since he got fired from George Mason

Sitting on his ass collecting almost $1mm per.  When Georgia Tech fired him, they had to buy him out, and he gets paid $7.2mm spread out over 8 seasons, ending after the 2018-2019 season
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:33:18 PM by wpc77 »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
Mullin is a winner.  He'll get it done.

Yeah he's a real winner 8 wins and 36 losses in the Big East and counting....

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2018, 11:49:32 PM »
We need someone with no ties to program because there has been 0 success by anyone within in 30 years. New culture, new culture

No. Stupid thought process.
Are you part of the Mullin cult? If not you are aware that exists
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:50:58 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »
Add a PG and retain all the seniors plus key recruits and we'll be fine next year. I'd make all three seniors captains.

TONYD3

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
Add a PG and retain all the seniors plus key recruits and we'll be fine next year. I'd make all three seniors captains.
Agree trust the process

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
Agree trust the process

The process didn't include having Mussini go pro and Lovett holding the program hostage. You can ding staff for not recruiting a complete roster for this year but nobody could win with this group. I called it on the summer. "What happens if Ponds sprains an ankle. Does the season just end?"

It was Lovet, but yes it does just end.

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2018, 09:29:48 AM »
You know the funny thing is when Norm was coaching it took like 4 years for people t turn on him. And the crazy thing about that is outside of Mahoney's two terrible years and the Jarvis being fired / Pittsburgh thing we were always decent. So three terrible years out of all those years and yet people were patient with Norm because he was nice. That is what everyone kept saying he was a good man. That was the defense. So the people trusting Norm's process were used to being decent and still managed to hold off from bitching for four years. Now along comes Chris Mullin to coach a team that has sucked for 19 out of 26 years and people want him fired after 3 years or less for some. You would think some of you would be a little more tolerant of sucking, being as that has mostly been what the program has been.

As for Mullin, next year he has to show something otherwise he will be gone one way or another.  For me though since Chris Mullin is the reason I became a fan of a team that has given me a lot of joy really up until the year Jarvis was fired, I am not going to kill him. I just don't see the point. And this would be true if Walter Berry or David Russell were coaching the team. Just seems wrong killing the guy or guys that made you like the thing in the first place. Now I get the young crew not caring about this, but some of you really old guys, guys even way older than me.... it is surprising. But then I guess being old just makes you angry.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:31:16 AM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
Agree trust the process

The process didn't include having Mussini go pro and Lovett holding the program hostage. You can ding staff for not recruiting a complete roster for this year but nobody could win with this group. I called it on the summer. "What happens if Ponds sprains an ankle. Does the season just end?"

Not going to argue. But if you think a 6 foot guard with no athleticism and no PG skills would help I disagree. Him being recruited in the first place was a mistake first by Lavin then by Mullin. As was the German .
I don’t follow recuiting as much some of you. All I know is in high profile job you can’t keep making mistakes and keep a job. Huge mistakes and incompetence what this staff is about.
I assume you mean ok is winning 18 games next year and making the NIT. First off that isn’t good enough. Second - and most importantly not going to happen. Can’t win without a coach

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
We need someone with no ties to program because there has been 0 success by anyone within in 30 years. New culture, new culture

No, Mullin may not be able to coach his way out of a paper bag. I'm just advocating another year or two; to give him a chance to finally get a full roster. This year should have been better. We all wanted that and reasonably expected that. However, I don't think this rough year should be the coup de grace that certain posters want.

Some posters want to have Mullin fired because they relish in the chaos, or they have some other agenda.  That's unacceptable to me. The posters that incessantly repeat or insinuate over and over are awful for this board, and indirectly for the program.  People want to claim this garbage posting doesn't indirectly hurt the program, that it is all harmless trolling - I believe that's hogwash.   The incessant posting does hurt the program.  There is one poster, he that must remain nameless, starts rumor after rumor.  Even if one out of eight are true, they all hurt the program; because for certain, sketching recruiting agents will use this information to influence recruits.  It's only logical.  So, I want those posters to stop it.

I wish the owner of this website would put a lid on this kind of nonsense.  This riot-inciting posting irritates me, so I'm being more aggressive (and frankly wasting my energy), pointing this nonsense out.

Others on this board, are truly are only evaluating performance and want Mullin gone. That's fine. I have no problem with posters reasonably arguing that.  I think that's not the best of course action, but we can all argue that through reasonable discourse. Again, I have no problem with reasonable debates.

And yet a third group of fans, are evaluating performance, are not happy with current state of affairs, but believe the best course of action is to be a little more patient. This camp, that I fall in, believe that there have some been some really bad breaks this season. No other coach was going to work a miracle with the current roster, after LoVett and Wilson went AWOL.   Yes, should they have had another big on the roster this season? Yes of course. It was a mistake not make that happen somehow.

Also, Mullin started with virtually nothing to work with three seasons ago, so that's why he deserves a longer term of evaluation.  Finally, and probably most importantly, the recruiting - the lifeblood of the program - is definitely improving.  There is no denying that, based on the players this year and coming in next year.

Essentially the program has been in the toilet for the better part of over twenty years now. So what's the issue with giving Mulling two more years to turn this around?  Kicking him out would basically instantly guarantee the program being really bad for another four years or so, because the next coach would have to start over.

Finally, the competitive landscape in college basketball has completely changed.  Thirty or forty years ago, big public universities didn't yet realize the power of college sports, for raising academic profiles of schools, and more importantly, for fund raising.  They all do now.  As a smaller non-football school, that has been pretty bad at basketball for most of the last twenty years, there is very little room for error.   I'm not sure it's smart to implode the program yet again. 

The St. John's program may never be able to be resurrected, because of all the damage done starting with Mahoney all the way through Lavin.  I'm not sure blowing out Mullin, and adding him to that legacy of failing coaches is best course of action.  At least give Mullin a full term before he fails.  Who knows, maybe with a full roster, it turns around.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:00:05 AM by RedmenNYC »

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »

No, Mullin may not be able to coach his way out of a paper bag. I'm just advocating another year or two; to give him a chance to finally get a full roster. This year should have been better. We all wanted that and reasonably expected that. However, I don't think this rough year should be the coup de grace that certain posters want.

Some posters want to have Mullin fired because they relish in the chaos, or they have some other agenda.  That's unacceptable to me. The posters that incessantly repeat or insinuate over and over are awful for this board, and indirectly for the program.  People want to claim this garbage posting doesn't indirectly hurt the program, that it is all harmless trolling - I believe that's hogwash.   The incessant posting does hurt the program.  The one p post, he that must remain nameless - starts rumor after rumor.  Even if one out of eight are true, they all hurt the program; because for certain, sketching recruiting agents will use this information to influence recruits.  It's only logical.  So, I want those posters to stop it.

I wish the owner of this website would put a lid on this kind of nonsense.  This riot-inciting posting irritates me, so I'm being more aggressive (and frankly wasting my energy), pointing this nonsense out.

Others on this board, are truly are only evaluating performance and want Mullin gone. That's fine. I have no problem with posters reasonably arguing that.  I think that's not the best of course action, but we can all argue that through reasonable discourse. Again, I have no problem with reasonable debates.

And yet a third group of fans, are evaluating performance, are not happy with current state of affairs, but believe the best course of action is to be a little more patient. This camp, that I fall in, believe that there have some been some really bad breaks this season. No other coach was going to work a miracle with the current roster, after LoVett and Wilson went AWOL.   Yes, should they have had another big on the roster this season? Yes of course. It was a mistake not make that happen somehow.

Also, Mullin started with virtually nothing to work with three seasons ago, so that's why he deserves a longer term of evaluation.  Finally, and probably most importantly, the recruiting - the lifeblood of the program - is definitely improving.  There is no denying that, based on the players this year and coming in next year.

Essentially the program has been in the toilet for the better part of over twenty years now. So what's the issue with giving Mulling two more years to turn this around?  Kicking him out would basically instantly guarantee the program being really bad for another four years or so, because the next coach would have to start over.

Finally, the competitive landscape in college basketball has completely changed.  Thirty or forty years ago, big public universities didn't yet realize the power of college sports, for raising academic profiles of schools, and more importantly, for fund raising.  They all do now.  As a smaller non-football school, that has been pretty bad at basketball for most of the last twenty years, there is very little room for error.   I'm not sure it's smart to implode the program yet again. 

The St. John's program may never be able to be resurrected, because of all the damage done starting with Mahoney all the way through Lavin.  I'm not sure blowing out Mullin, and adding him to that legacy of failing coaches is best course of action.  At least give Mullin a full term before he fails.  Who knows, maybe with a full roster, it turns around.

Good post.
Don't agree with Dave censoring anyone but agree with everything else.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:07:12 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
Agree trust the process

Not going to argue. But if you think a 6 foot guard with no athleticism and no PG skills would help I disagree. Him being recruited in the first place was a mistake first by Lavin then by Mullin. As was the German .
I don’t follow recuiting as much some of you. All I know is in high profile job you can’t keep making mistakes and keep a job. Huge mistakes and incompetence what this staff is about.
I assume you mean ok is winning 18 games next year and making the NIT. First off that isn’t good enough. Second - and most importantly not going to happen. Can’t win without a coach

Simple math. Guy was averaging 14 points a game. Other guys like Ahmed and Owens had to try and make up for some of that and are not equipped to. Use whatever revisionist history you want but losing your 2nd best player hurts.

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »

Some posters want to have Mullin fired because they relish in the chaos, or they have some other agenda.  That's unacceptable to me. The posters that incessantly repeat or insinuate over and over are awful for this board, and indirectly for the program.  People want to claim this garbage posting doesn't indirectly hurt the program, that it is all harmless trolling - I believe that's hogwash.   The incessant posting does hurt the program.  The one p post, he that must remain nameless - starts rumor after rumor.  Even if one out of eight are true, they all hurt the program; because for certain, sketching recruiting agents will use this information to influence recruits.  It's only logical.  So, I want those posters to stop it.

Good post.
Don't agree with Dave censoring anyone but agree with everything else.

Damn message boards have destroyed the program.

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
You know the funny thing is when Norm was coaching it took like 4 years for people t turn on him. And the crazy thing about that is outside of Mahoney's two terrible years and the Jarvis being fired / Pittsburgh thing we were always decent. So three terrible years out of all those years and yet people were patient with Norm because he was nice. That is what everyone kept saying he was a good man. That was the defense. So the people trusting Norm's process were used to being decent and still managed to hold off from bitching for four years. Now along comes Chris Mullin to coach a team that has sucked for 19 out of 26 years and people want him fired after 3 years or less for some. You would think some of you would be a little more tolerant of sucking, being as that has mostly been what the program has been.

As for Mullin, next year he has to show something otherwise he will be gone one way or another.  For me though since Chris Mullin is the reason I became a fan of a team that has given me a lot of joy really up until the year Jarvis was fired, I am not going to kill him. I just don't see the point. And this would be true if Walter Berry or David Russell were coaching the team. Just seems wrong killing the guy or guys that made you like the thing in the first place. Now I get the young crew not caring about this, but some of you really old guys, guys even way older than me.... it is surprising. But then I guess being old just makes you angry.

The funniest thing about the Norm era was the event at the New York Athletic Club. I lived a literal baseball throw away and finished posting negatively about the staff maybe 5 minutes at most before I walked in. I got in the elevator by myself and right before the door completely closed Chris Casey stuck his hand in and opened the doors. The ENTIRE staff walked in...just them and me. They clearly had a few drinks and started joking about meeting certain posters by name. Marillac was one. I wish I could remember the other names, but I was so caught off guard going to my virtual world of hating Norm to seeing a real person so quickly.  They were joking about how good the security would be.

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

The funniest thing about the Norm era was the event at the New York Athletic Club. I lived a literal baseball throw away and finished posting negatively about the staff maybe 5 minutes at most before I walked in. I got in the elevator by myself and right before the door completely closed Chris Casey stuck his hand in and opened the doors. The ENTIRE staff walked in...just them and me. They clearly had a few drinks and started joking about meeting certain posters by name. Marillac was one. I wish I could remember the other names, but I was so caught off guard going to my virtual world of hating Norm to seeing a real person so quickly.  They were joking about how good the security would be.
I remember that story way back when you first told it when it happened. That cracked me up. I wish you mentioned way back then who the other posters were. That would have been real funny

Coaches and Admin etc do read the boards. At one of the Presidents Dinners a few years ago as Nathalie and I were leaving and I walked up to Fr Maher and introduced myself since we have the same last name. He said " wait are you mjmaherjr from redmen.com ? "  He was really nice guy

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »

I remember that story way back when you first told it when it happened. That cracked me up. I wish you mentioned way back then who the other posters were. That would have been real funny

Coaches and Admin etc do read the boards. At one of the Presidents Dinners a few years ago as Nathalie and I were leaving and I walked up to Fr Maher and introduced myself since we have the same last name. He said " wait are you mjmaherjr from redmen.com ? "  He was really nice guy

Never heard this story before. Good one. Not better than Turasi though

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »

Turasi will go down as the best story ever. Was that the night at Social when we heard that one ?

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »

Turasi will go down as the best story ever. Was that the night at Social when we heard that one ?

Yup right before Baldi, Marillac, Carmine and Tha Kid starting doing body shots of each other. WASJU knows when it is time to go home.