The Perfect Coach for ST John's

• 186 replies
The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »
No I am not going to list possible replacements for Chris Mullin. I hope he figures this out next year and stays around awhile. However a really good post by Celtics11 in another thread got me to thinking. Instead of just throwing names out there, lets create the hypothetical perfect coach for the program as it stands currently. Who knows maybe this Frankenstein ST John's coach actually exists somewhere and might one day solve all of our college basketball related problems.

Lets start with AGE: Celtics thought a young hungry coach would be our best bet. I guess a Hurley qualifies. The problem with young and hungry of course is will they with success outgrow ST John's like Fran had aspirations to do. Personally I thought that instead of Norm the school should have hired Bob McKillop. The fear there besides him being white(if those Ron Rutledge rumors are to be believed)  I guess was that he would be to old to be hungry enough for recruiting. So I guess we would need a coach that is not too young and not too old.

Location of origin: Ideally you would want a NYC / NJ candidate for recruiting. I for one like the idea of at least some local kids. Problem is NYC is not the hotbed it once was and others don't seem to married to the idea. Certainly the current and former coach weren't. Though Mullin has said in the past it was important to him. Another issue is that Mullin, Fran, Mahoney and the God awful Norm Roberts were all born in NY and none of them worked out. Of course a guy from Boston worked out pretty well...until it didn't. Also a guy from California also worked out ok but everyone seemed to hold the Hollywood thing against him. I am at a loss with this one. Everyone seems to love the Hurley's and we haven't had a Jersey guy yet so maybe that is a nice compromise. Lets go with NJ.

Coaching experience: Really goes hand in hand with age I guess. So we want someone that doesn't have a lot of experience and definitely do not want someone with no experience. So we can settle in on medium experience.

Recruiting: Based off thousands pf posts on the subject I gather we want someone hungry enough to do some of the recruiting on his own but also someone that will hire two not one assistants that can recruit. Again personally I think we should go the mid major route and really encourage the three and recruit shooters.

Staff:Another layup. Two recruiting assistants one of which is preferably Matt Abelicantspelltherestish . The other assistant should be George Blaney.

X & O's- We would like someone that is good here or at the very least has George Blaney type guy as his assistant.

Intangibles- Must have dry board skills, be able to recruit, hire a good staff, not be lazy, not be from Hollywood or have a Boston accent, doesn't give out corny nicknames, can't be named Norm,  pay players at least bad ones and for the love of God do not sit on tables. Oh and almost forget Desco's request. Must be a snazzy dresser.

Anyone out there fit our descriptions? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:54:43 PM by we are sju »

Re: The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
Nice job narrowing things down. If an opening does occur for head coach at SJU the University could do worse than use your requirements to start the search for candidates.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
We have a perfect coach right now. Mullin is a perfect 0-7.

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:25:33 PM »
If we get a young hungry coach that ends up leaving us for a better job we'd be extremely lucky

Poison

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:46:24 PM »
If we get a young hungry coach that ends up leaving us for a better job we'd be extremely lucky

No hire has been good enough to get a better job. Should be crystal clear who the real problem is. The only way this ever turns is if the university accepts that they have horrendous judgement.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »

No hire has been good enough to get a better job. Should be crystal clear who the real problem is. The only way this ever turns is if the university accepts that they have horrendous judgement.
Seems that way, but have there been better candidates willing to come here than those that were hired? That is the million dollar question.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:23 AM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:02 AM »
Fire Mullin and give me Danny Hurley please.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:22:20 AM »
How about the head coach of Montverde Academy - Kevin Boyle. He is well know in the Tri-state area and has expanded his reach to the south and even has international connections. This would be a good hire.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:25:38 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »
Agree. Keeps salary low also. I have no idea, but I would bet Mullin made more then the guy who came from Butler last year. Now at Ohio state

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Of course that coach exists. Let's not act like SJU is some big-time athletics program that scoured the entire country looking for the best candidates. Like I've said several times before, if they really want an up and coming HC there are plenty of guys out there who fit the bill. Either HC's at the mid major level or assts from any of the top programs in the country. The real question is would SJU admin. pony up and do what it takes to get a guy like this. That remains to be seen.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

That would be a hire that no sane person could complain about. A head coach who gets his players to compete in his conference and against any team anywhere.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

That would be a hire that no sane person could complain about. A head coach who gets his players to compete in his conference and against any team anywhere.

First four  years at Albany

7-13
7-21
5-23
13-15

Lifetime winning percentage slightly north of .500. Two conference championships in 16 years. Eight of 16 seasons with .500 winning percentage or less, including four with less than 10 wins. All in the mighty America East against such powerhouses as  University Maryland Baltimore County, University of Hartford and U Mass Lowell.

Screw Danny Hurley, get me this guy on the phone stat.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
Maybe Dougy Mac signs long term extension with the Knicks and old man decides he wants to coach in the same city. Hey he knows the conference well
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:06:43 AM »
Will brown first job at community college - 90-10
Will brown last 6 seasons- he has won atleast 19 games.
Chris Mullin 8-35 in big east. Mullin vs big east minus depaul- 5-30
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:09:34 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
Will brown first job at community college - 90-10. Will brown last 6 seasons- he has won atleast 19 games.

TonyD crying about Will Brown's conference record 2002. TonyD, calling for Will Brown's firing 2003.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
Will brown first job at community college - 90-10. Will brown last 6 seasons- he has won atleast 19 games.

TonyD crying about Will Brown's conference record 2002. TonyD, calling for Will Brown's firing 2003.
We have both been here since the beginning the norm days. I didn’t cry about norm. I didn’t cry about Lavin. I started what you call crying after our new coach got blown out by: st. Thomas, incarnate word, NYjt or is nyit, and that powerhouse from the Bronx. I know we had a cupard issue, but those game could have been some what competive. I guess 2 million doesn’t get you that far anymore. But that first year didn’t count. Everyone gets a pass.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

7-13
7-21
5-23
13-15

Lifetime winning percentage slightly north of .500. Two conference championships in 16 years. Eight of 16 seasons with .500 winning percentage or less, including four with less than 10 wins. All in the mighty America East against such powerhouses as  University Maryland Baltimore County, University of Hartford and U Mass Lowell.

Man, this is some sound logic. I bet if Chris Mullin ever turns it around and leads SJU to 5 Tournament appearances and multiple conference titles, you'll agree we can look back at his 8-34 Big East record through his first few years as evidence that he sucks as a coach.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
To me it just seems predetermined that Tim Cluess will be the next coach. I mean if Vegas were laying odds on such things he would have to be the favorite right? He has been successful and has ties to the program.  Yet no one outside of maybe Baldi seems to want this. I don't. I guess because he is not really young and coaches at a crappy school?
If this does become reality will be fascinating to see how Baldi reacts.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

7-13
7-21
5-23
13-15

Man, this is some sound logic. I bet if Chris Mullin ever turns it around and leads SJU to 5 Tournament appearances and multiple conference titles, you'll agree we can look back at his 8-34 Big East record through his first few years as evidence that he sucks as a coach.

Forget logic. Practice reading for comprehension.