Alumni HOF

• 5 replies
Alumni HOF
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
If St. John's was to start an Alumni Hall of Fame who would you select among the first 10 to be selected?? The HOF would be based upon professional and personal success as well as loyalty to the university upon graduation ( you can define it any way you wish)

In no particular order I would include:

Lou, Mullin, the late Gov. Carey, Gov. Cuomo, Mike Repole, Mr. Taffner, Mr. Montegoris, Jack Kaiser, Mr. Belson,  and NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly.

What say you??

St. John's has many outstanding alumni unfortunately many students and others don't have a clue as to their contributions.

Re: Alumni HOF
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
Great idea, 205. I would also include contributiors to the school like Fr. Joe Cahill and Joe Lapchick.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
What about the Gov of the Virgin Islands? (Tough job but somebody gotta do it, y'all.)
Or the Gov of Cali, whose name I cant say or spell?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »
All good candidates by Choz.

Another name that I somehow forgot to cite was the late Bob Shepard.  To me, it's a no-brainer to have him in the top 10.

The point is that, IMO, the university needs to continue to find ways to honor their distinguished alumni.

These would include an alumni Walk of Fame on campus, an alumni Wall of Fame showcasing these individuals and their accomplishments (a dedicated wall could be selected at the St. John's library with plaques honoring each of the honorees) and a book that all students would receive that would have profiles of the top 100 St. John's grads.

We have many, many, many outstanding graduates but, for some reason, many students, alumni and friends of St. John's do not know about these sons and daughters of St. John's.

While a lot of progress has been made over the years, we still need to do a lot more to highlight the accomplishments of our grads.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:59:06 AM by 205 Tuttle »

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »
All good candidates by Choz.

Another name that I somehow forgot to cite was the late Bob Shepard.  To me, it's a no-brainer to have him in the top 10.

The point is that, IMO, the university needs to continue to find ways to honor their distinguished alumni.

These would include an alumni Walk of Fame on campus, an alumni Wall of Fame showcasing these individuals and their accomplishments (a dedicated wall could be selected at the St. John's library with plaques honoring each of the honorees) and a book that all students would receive that would have profiles of the top 100 St. John's grads.

We have many, many, many outstanding graduates but, for some reason, many students, alumni and friends of St. John's do not know about these sons and daughters of St. John's.

While a lot of progress has been made over the years, we still need to do a lot more to highlight the accomplishments of our grads.

Slightly OT but You bring up walk of fame for alumni.  Instead of retiring numbers for bball, it might be nice for SJU to do something similar to a walk of fame outside of carnesecca arena or taffner to honor SJU's best players of all time.  Just a thought. 

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
Something similar to what they do at MSG ??