Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Poison

Re: around the big east
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
“@CardChronicle: X-Ray Reveals Gorgui Dieng Has A Broken Left Wrist http://t.co/xECOhtmR

That's a huge loss. Too bad.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
“@ECoastBias: Just seeing that Trey Ziegler of Pitt was charged with a DUI yesterday. http://t.co/qLm9t62F

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
Latest on Dieng, Tough injury, Pitino may be a bit too optimistic on time frame IMO.

Nov. 25, 2012

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - University of Louisville center Gorgui Dieng will be out four-to-six weeks while recovering from a broken wrist he suffered last Friday.

"With a little luck, Gorgui will be back by the start of our BIG EAST schedule," said UofL Coach Rick Pitino. "We will miss his defensive presence and passing ability, but it is time for other guys to step up their performances."

Dr. Luis Scheker of the Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center in Louisville will perform surgery on Tuesday to insert a screw in Dieng's broken scaphoid bone in his left wrist. Dieng fell while taking a charge early in the first half of the Cardinals' 84-61 victory over No. 13 Missouri on Friday in the Battle 4 Atlantis. He returned to the game with his wrist taped and played a total of 24 minutes, but sat out the championship game against Duke on Saturday.

Dieng is averaging 8.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and two rebounds through five games this season. He produced his 13th career double-double against Samford with 10 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks and 3 steals. Dieng is a preseason All-BIG EAST selection and is among the top 50 preseason candidates for the Wooden Award and Naismith Award.

crgreen

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
“@ECoastBias: Just seeing that Trey Ziegler of Pitt was charged with a DUI yesterday. http://t.co/qLm9t62F

What's up with Pitt.  Their two "stud" newcomers, Steven Adams ("sure lotto pick") and Trey Zeigler, haven't been so studly.  6 games in  Adams is getting 7 pts and 4 rebs, and Shooting Guard Zeigler is getting just 6 pts, and has yet to sink a 3!

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Robinson from Dematha, however, is playing great.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
“@raphiellej: 27 turnovers for Seton Hall and they lose 72-67 at LSU.”

Marquette also smoked by Florida.

ND beats Kentucky
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:48:51 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
"Will be Movin on Up"
Conference power rankings: Big East
November, 30, 2012

By Dana O'Neil | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET3COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
The early season is always hard to judge -- what with some teams playing tougher teams than others. So you have to rate not only the result but also the opponents teams played and how they played them.

Hence the first week hodgepodge of Big East power rankings:

1. Syracuse. Usually it’s hard to know just how good the Orange is early in the season, since Jim Boeheim rarely crosses the New York border in November. But Syracuse’s opening demolition of San Diego State was telling. As is Michael Carter-Williams. The point guard is averaging 9.3 assists per game.

2. Louisville. Yes, the Cards lost to Duke, but they lost to Duke without Gorgui Dieng and so there has to be an asterisk attached here. Anyone who has watched Louisville play knows this is a formidable team, and maybe the best defensively in the country.

3. Notre Dame. The loss to a good Saint Joseph’s team in Brooklyn hurts, but the ridiculously impressive win against Kentucky erases any of the bad. When the Irish can execute Mike Brey’s thought out game plans, their combo of talent and experience will be tough to beat.

4. Georgetown. The surprise team to everyone but themselves, the Hoyas opened some eyes in Brooklyn, beating UCLA and taking Indiana to overtime. Otto Porter is probably the early clubhouse leader for league player of the year.

5. Cincinnati. Sean Kilpatrick is on fire and so are the Bearcats. Paced by Kilpatrick’s 21 points per game, Cincinnati is seventh in the country in scoring, averaging 86.8 per game. The win against Oregon was good but would have been nice to see how the running Bearcats handled the Runnin’ Rebels of UNLV as a good gauge.

6. Pittsburgh. Tray Woodall is healthy, Talib Zanna is inspired and the Panthers are back. The most telling evidence? Pitt’s los to Michigan, where the Panthers were in the ballgame in the final minute, ultimately done in by free throws.

7. UConn. Let’s face it, the Huskies are playing with house money. No one expects much out of embattled UConn this year, yet Kevin Ollie’s squad already has one big win -- against Michigan State -- and has rolled to a 6-1 record (struggles against Quinnipiac and New Hampshire notwithstanding). Another big test this week when the Huskies face NC State in the Jimmy V Classic.

8. Marquette. Buzz Williams’ squad had a lot of rebuilding to do, what with losing the Big East player of the year and league leading scorer, so this isn’t terribly surprising. The Golden Eagles had been competitive until they faced their first real test in the form of a buzzsaw Florida team, which exposed their weaknesses.

9. St. John’s. The young Red Storm have work to do, evidenced by their losses to the two better teams in the early going (Murray State and Baylor), but this is a team with a huge upside as the season progresses.

10. Seton Hall. The Pirates had a chance to secure a decent win against LSU on Thursday night, leading in the SEC/Big East Challenge game by as many as 16. Instead SHU came up empty with too many end-of-game turnovers, and still lack even a moderately signature win.

11. South Florida. The Bulls are still very good defensively and still woeful offensively. In their two losses -- to Central Florida and Western Michigan -- they scored 56 and 53 points, respectively. That eventually has to change.

12. Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights are 4-1. Their opponents are a combined 9-20 in the MAAC, NEC, Ivy League, America East and Southern conferences. So take that record for what it’s worth.

13. Providence. Give Ed Cooley credit. With little to work with -- Vincent Council is out four weeks with a hamstring injury -- the Friars are at least beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

14. DePaul. Every year the Blue Deacons think this is the year and then it’s not. Despite Cleveland Melvin and Brandon Young’s best efforts, DePaul is 3-3.

15. Villanova. The Wildcats lost to Columbia ... by 18. The Lions -- a team that lost by 20 to San Francisco -- were picked to finish third in the Ivy League. Need we say more.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Marquette sucks. So does Seton Hall.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Marquette sucks. So does Seton Hall.

We are better than Marquette and Uconn so right now I would have us 7. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »
Imo UConn will fade as well with no interior defense.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
“@Kieran_Lynch: #stjbb currently ranks 44 in SOS, according to http://t.co/yEs6zRfQ

“@Kieran_Lynch: #stjbb has a good balance of opponents at this point. Enough to test them, but not overwhelming by any stretch.”
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:18:58 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
I like those rankings.  Seem pretty accurate to me.  I always thought gtown was being underrated in the preseason.    I think we are in the 7-9 range but have no problem with 9 right now.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
right now cinci looks like the best team to me so far.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
right now cinci looks like the best team to me so far.

Big win for ND...but they will drop as season goes on and they play more road games...they are the ultimate home team...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:52:10 AM by section3 »

gman

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
I like those rankings.  Seem pretty accurate to me.  I always thought gtown was being underrated in the preseason.    I think we are in the 7-9 range but have no problem with 9 right now.

They beat utenn 37-36, no baskets made from either team for last4:10

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

They beat utenn 37-36, no baskets made from either team for last4:10

They also beat UCLA and took the #1 team to OT.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
And played Florida even for a half

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
No different then SJU can look oh so good or awful

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: Wow. Cincinnati's Cashmere Wright with the buzzer-beater to take down Alabama, 58-56.”

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
By my count Big East won the challenge 9-3.  I'm suprised anyone other than Florida won.