When did you become a St Johns fan?

• 90 replies

sju89tr

When did you become a St Johns fan?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
Paultz provided a good point about Lou and Lapchick. I thought it might be a good idea to see when we started following the school.

I became hooked in 1981 when I was a freshman at Forest Hills High School and they would play St Johns games on TV every Saturday. It also coincided with Mullin's first year but I don't think I even thought about Mullin as a great player as I did not follow recruiting until after that.

boo3

Re: When did you become a St Johns fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »
 My dad took me to a game in the early 80's. Georgetown vs St. John's.  Ewing vs Mullin.  Fight between Kevin Williams and Ewing.  I was hooked.

I remember being in the garden in 1986, as a 13 year old, watching St. john's beat Syracuse for the BE Championship. 

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
A family friend played (sat the bench) for SJU and he always hooked us up with tickets. I started going when I was 7 or 8 but I don't remember much until Mullin's soph year when I was 10. Despite Mullin being on the team my favorite player was David Russell. I got hooked on the BE with the Saturday afternoon games on ch 9 when fighting was legal. The BE was like hockey back then.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:38:04 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Started going to every game in '86.  Loved the Malik years.  By far the most fun watching all of that team mature.  Everything changed when they moved the long time season ticket holders to different seats at Alumni.  Took the fun out of going there.  Still go when in town but they really made a lot of people bitter. 

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »
As a kid started going to SJU games and listening on radio during Seiden, Tony Jackson, Alfierii days. Haven't stopped!

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
I remember all the players from those early 1980 teams Jeff Allen, Bob Kelly, David Russell, Kevin Williams, Billy Goodwin etc. They were fun to watch. Of course by 1983 we had the the leading players in Mullin, Wennington, Jackson and Berry. Too bad Stewart got hurt as he would have been a great player rather than a rotation guy.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
My dad went to Law School at St. John's so I grew up a fan even though I am from Syracuse country. Got into undergrad at St. John's but no football so I went elsewhere. Got into law school at STJ but too expensive so went elsewhere.

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
I remember all the players from those early 1980 teams Jeff Allen, Bob Kelly, David Russell, Kevin Williams, Billy Goodwin etc. They were fun to watch. Of course by 1983 we had the the leading players in Mullin, Wennington, Jackson and Berry. Too bad Stewart got hurt as he would have been a great player rather than a rotation guy.

Guys in my section at CA used to go nuts about Kelly, much preferring Kevin Williams I believe.

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

Guys in my section at CA used to go nuts about Kelly, much preferring Kevin Williams I believe.

Kevin Williams was a great player. Kelly was a bland point guard. He wasn't terrible though but Lou was loyal to him. Williams was a hot head and likely drove Lou nuts.   

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
I used to only go to the Garden games as a kid, but I would watch college games on campus and it would look really cool. All the students going nuts. So I started begging my dad to take me to see SJU on campus. Finally he relented and took me to my first Alumni Hall game, but for some reason SJU played its games on Campus in a library. Needless to say it was not the experience I was looking forward to.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
I used to only go to the Garden games as a kid, but I would watch college games on campus and it would look really cool. All the students going nuts. So I started begging my dad to take me to see SJU on campus. Finally he relented and took me to my first Alumni Hall game, but for some reason SJU played its games on Campus in a library. Needless to say it was not the experience I was looking forward to.

Nice!

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
Was a biddy and got bused in wit the Fresh Air kids from the Bx to St.John that look like Shangra-lah and Xanadu all wrapped up to one. Coach Lou took me aside to show me how to shoot a ball in the proper fashion. Was so nice to me. And didnt have to be.

Loyalty was formed. Bonded 4 Life.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Kelly was the typical Louie pg.  Steady but not flashy.  Kevin was a 2.  It was the big argument on campus but I don't think Kevin would have handled the point well, especially in Louie's slow-down half-court offense.

As a kid in the early 70's, I have a vague recollection od a St. John's v. UCLA game on tv.  Not sure what year.  I also remember a game on tv against ND.  I was hooked when Reggie Carter transferred home.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
In the mid 60's when I was in Jr. high School and my cousin took me to see the McEntyre Brothers.  I was hooked from there but became real into it when I attended St. John 's as a frosh in the fall of 1969.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
Our elite 8 loss to Ohio State was the first game I ever saw. guess I'm really bad luck huh?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
My Dad was an SJU grad and never stopped going to games after graduation, finally when I was old enough in the late 80s he started taking me to games with him.   At first my mom only let him take me to Almuni Hall games, but I think when I was about six I was allowed to go to weekend games at the Garden (certainly not on a school night!)
Earlier in the 80s my grandpa retired from the nypd and took a job working security at  SJU, so I'd go to games with my dad and if it was a slow night ... Like a marathon oil type game, grandpa would take me down to the court or the hallway outside the locker room.  ; I've got some cool pictures at home with Matt Brust, Jayson, one with Bobby Werdann holding me up on his shoulders.   Those are some of my fondest memories as a kid.  Made me a Redman for life. 
Also vividly remember getting to a game once probably round '89, at alumni hall, it was crowded and loud so it was propbably a big east opponent, BC?, and telling my dad that I saw Darryl Strawberry when I had gone to the bathroom, dad didn't believe me for a second.  Then Darryl sat down in our section.  That was beyond cool for me. 

Final note: either my 3rd or 4th grade cyo team played an exhibition during halftime of a game at alumni, I made a steal and had a wide open breakaway.... I flubbed the layup to the crowds jeers.    Not my finest moment on a basketball court. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:30:16 AM by desco80 »

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
A lot of my family are STJ and STJ law school alums, and STJ name was golden growing up in my house. I remember watching the game on channel 9 and listening on WFAN.  I was a huge Big East fan first, and I recall Terry Dehere being my all-time favorite.  My first STJ memory is of Shawnelle Scott and Fred Lyson. During the Felipe years I became a huge STJ fan and the rest is history.   

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
in the 60's watching Sonny Dove, Kenny Houston, then attended SJU in 70 -74.

To show how this disease never dies, during the Cincy game I was stood up as they started rallying in the first half. I didn't sit down until the game was over and I am 60. F'n nuts!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »
in the 60's watching Sonny Dove, Kenny Houston, then attended SJU in 70 -74.

To show how this disease never dies, during the Cincy game I was stood up as they started rallying in the first half. I didn't sit down until the game was over and I am 60. F'n nuts!
I meant I stood up from sitting down!

ras

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
My father graduated SJU and would tell me about its BB. I only lived 20 mins from SHU and we went there and saw them(SJU VS SHU) play in the old,small ,but intimate  Walsh auditorium, around 1981. There was such great energy,,that w their success,got me hooked. Ive been loyal ever since.