Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies

derk

Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #400 on: May 20, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »
The kid announced today because it was anniversary of Malik Sealy's death.  Kid has heart and that's a big SJU tribute right there.  I like him even more.  And fwiw, Baldi is wrong.  This kid is gonna be excellent.  To say he's not a program changer is misleading.  He's an elite athlete, and long with a solid skill set.  His upside is clearly there.  I
[/quote

Do you know that as a fact or just speculating. What is the connection between him and Malik ?

« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Boneyard in full meltdown mode. 😀

Poison

« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
Still 6pm today announcement?

He reclassified. He's back in 7th grade again

Thanks for nonsensical answer. There was a bunch of reports he may not announce today.

Take it easy on Baldi today. He's having a rough day because something good might happen to the St John's basketball program

Rough day? Nah, I won't be holding my breath with this guys decision. Nice player, but not a program changer, in the Big East anyway

Who was the last freshman that was a program changer in the BE? I'd go with Carmelo Anthony, and before that Iverson. Since Melo, I'd go with absolutely no one.

« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »

Thanks for nonsensical answer. There was a bunch of reports he may not announce today.

Take it easy on Baldi today. He's having a rough day because something good might happen to the St John's basketball program

Rough day? Nah, I won't be holding my breath with this guys decision. Nice player, but not a program changer, in the Big East anyway

Who was the last freshman that was a program changer in the BE? I'd go with Carmelo Anthony, and before that Iverson. Since Melo, I'd go with absolutely no one.

Happened last year. I think Shamorie Ponds is a game changer for our program. He was the first NYC recruit in the Mullin regime that stayed home and his play backed up the hype.  According to reports he was at dinner and he helped pitch Sid to St Johns.  Thats a game changer.  If you mean on the court than no, he wasn't good enough to lead us to the were we want to be as a program. But he's definitely leading the way to (hopefully) brighter days for our basketball program.

Poison

« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »

Happened last year. I think Shamorie Ponds is a game changer for our program. He was the first NYC recruit in the Mullin regime that stayed home and his play backed up the hype.  According to reports he was at dinner and he helped pitch Sid to St Johns.  Thats a game changer.  If you mean on the court than no, he wasn't good enough to lead us to the were we want to be as a program. But he's definitely leading the way to (hopefully) brighter days for our basketball program.

I love Ponds, but a program changer in a generation type of talent. Markelle Fultz will be the #1 pick in the NBA draft. He was not a program changer.

That doesn't mean that Ponds isn't incredibly important. He's helping the staff recruit local talent, which is great, because they haven't landed anyone on their own in over a year.

ras

« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2017, 11:59:39 PM »

Your right not a game changer his freshman year. But has nice upside  and balances the classes . He will contribute his freshman year and provide depth. And w each year he will get stronger and improve. If we can get players like Sid and keep them as upperclassman we will be where we want to be. Don't need one and dones.

« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
The kid announced today because it was anniversary of Malik Sealy's death.  Kid has heart and that's a big SJU tribute right there.  I like him even more.  And fwiw, Baldi is wrong.  This kid is gonna be excellent.  To say he's not a program changer is misleading.  He's an elite athlete, and long with a solid skill set.  His upside is clearly there.  I
[/quote

Do you know that as a fact or just speculating. What is the connection between him and Malik ?

It was in the video fordham posted. About the 8 min mark.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2017, 12:59:02 AM »
Everytime I see the kid I see Corey Brewer when he was at Florida.  Wilson reminds of Brewer both in resemblance and game.

That's who I see as well, albeit a little shorter.

I hope SJU fans keep this pickup in perspective. I've seen some wild card comps in this thread (Malik Sealy). He's not a top 15 kid. He can shoot his ass off and sometimes he falls in love with that aspect of his game and camps out on the left wing. Based on the highlights, he seems to have improved taking the ball to the hole. His left hand is still MIA, though.

I think we can expect what Polee gave us first year. He will just be on another level of talent from any of our other bigger players, but might not be as physically ready.

He pairs really well with Ponds and Simon, and I think that will really show his soph season.

« Reply #408 on: May 21, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
Welcome Sid!!!

A great job by the staff!!

« Reply #409 on: May 21, 2017, 06:58:07 AM »
You aren't happy with a pickup of this quality?

I like the pickup.

derk

« Reply #410 on: May 21, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
[/quote

Oh you brought a tear to my eye. Poor babies.

« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
[/quote

Oh you brought a tear to my eye. Poor babies.

It got so bad they locked the thread. 😀

« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
Well Sidney has good hands, is mobile, and very athletic. He can be an elite defender but needs to buy into doing it. Overall this is a tremendous signing especially this late in the game.

I'd probably rank him safely in the top 75 for 2017. Possibly top 50.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TheVig

« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
I see a lot of Moe Harkless

« Reply #414 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
Except for Owens they all need to show buy-in on the defensive end. Biggest thing which needs to be improved next year.

Well Sidney has good hands, is mobile, and very athletic. He can be an elite defender but needs to buy into doing it. Overall this is a tremendous signing especially this late in the game.

QuanMan

« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
First I would like to apologize to Abs for doubting him after the IK loss, this signing solidifies our 2018 NCAA Tourney run, CLUTCH.

Selfless acts displayed by Marcus attending Shamorie's Jefferson games last year and now Shamorie attending a recruiting dinner to land Sid will bode well for overall team chemistry. Abs tweeted it out yesterday, it's a family atmosphere, easy to root for.

We officially have NYC flavor. Shamorie, Bash, and Sid representing the program will be publicized and appreciated by our fan base.

Now the fun begins. A summer of tinkering with potential lineups-

Going small-

Marcus/Shamorie/JSimon/Bash/Marv

Going big-

Shamorie/Bash/Sid/Marv/Tariq

We are interchangeable, multi faceted, athletic, and potent offensively. Our OOC schedule is imposing, but I'm ready to roll w this unit.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
Except for Owens they all need to show buy-in on the defensive end. Biggest thing which needs to be improved next year.

Exactly. If he doesn't bother to box out, he'd actually fit right in. We can definitely use another athletic wing. We always can, but it would be great if the staff realized that they should have addressed their biggest need. I think Sid will help us, but I'm not expecting him to help us where we'll need him to help us this year. Don't see how a 170 pound SF is going to solve our rebounding woes.

« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »

I was thinking Polee

ras

« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
First I would like to apologize to Abs for doubting him after the IK loss, this signing solidifies our 2018 NCAA Tourney run, CLUTCH.

Selfless acts displayed by Marcus attending Shamorie's Jefferson games last year and now Shamorie attending a recruiting dinner to land Sid will bode well for overall team chemistry. Abs tweeted it out yesterday, it's a family atmosphere, easy to root for.

We officially have NYC flavor. Shamorie, Bash, and Sid representing the program will be publicized and appreciated by our fan base.

Now the fun begins. A summer of tinkering with potential lineups-

Going small-

Marcus/Shamorie/JSimon/Bash/Marv

Going big-

Shamorie/Bash/Sid/Marv/Tariq

We are interchangeable, multi faceted, athletic, and potent offensively. Our OOC schedule is imposing, but I'm ready to roll w this unit.
A lineup of Ponds, Simon, Wilson , Bash and Clark is interesting and has descent size. Provides depth for our bigs.

Pete88

« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »

I was thinking Polee

LOL.  About time you took a shit on this commitment.