Best Big Men in Big East

• 27 replies
Best Big Men in Big East
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I started this same thread over on holylandofhoops and though id bring it here. Lets rank the best players by position in the big east. Ill start it off with the bigs and combine the PF and C because there really arent that many studs.

1.) Jay'Vaughn Pinkston NOVA- My personal favorite big man in the BE. I think every team can appreciate the way this kid plays. Very tough, knows how to play.

2.) Matt Stainbrook XAV- Another kid who really know's how to play. Beats you with skill. Kind of reminds me of a college Marc Gasol.

3.) Josh Smith GTOWN- Really could be the best big in the conference if he can stay healthy and active for a a whole season. Incredible hard to guard.

4.) Chris Obekpa SJU- Know your gonna get close to 4 blocks and 6 rebs from him in most nights. Much potential to improve. Poor offensively.

5.) Jalen Reynolds XAV- Has a lot to prove but certainly has the potential to follow through. Physical specimen.

Wild card- Tommy Hamilton IV DEPAUL - Has really good size and skills. Think he could end up being a really solid player this year. Just never really hear about him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

Re: Best Big Men in Big East
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
I love it when Obekpa makes a play and I root for him, but is the most overated player I have ever seen. He did improve considerably last year. Hopefully he improves this year. The first 3 on this list are much better. I admit I have never heard of #5. Sean Evans had shortcomings also. I liked him. Think Obekpa is much closer to that class then Pinkston or Stainbrook. Block shots do not equal great defense. If Josh Smith got in shape he is unstoppable. 
Hope I wrong.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
I think Josh Smith has taken several big steps back. Obekpa, if you can manage to ignore how poorly he ended the season, did begin to show some offense, and some more toughness. He even started to hit some free throws.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:08:43 PM by Poison »

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
I love it when Obekpa makes a play and I root for him, but is the most overated player I have ever seen. He did improve considerably last year. Hopefully he improves this year. The first 3 on this list are much better. I admit I have never heard of #5. Sean Evans had shortcomings also. I liked him. Think Obekpa is much closer to that class then Pinkston or Stainbrook. Block shots do not equal great defense. If Josh Smith got in shape he is unstoppable. 
Hope I wrong.

Us st. johns fans should know who number 5 is. He had the game of his young career against us last season. 17 pts 16 rbs

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
Showing improvement and leaving early for nba is huge difference. I have been wanting to start a conversation about obekpa for a long time . I don't want to sound like a guy bashing our players. I like him. Think he is ok. Why do many of you guys like him so much?

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Showing improvement and leaving early for nba is huge difference. I have been wanting to start a conversation about obekpa for a long time . I don't want to sound like a guy bashing our players. I like him. Think he is ok. Why do many of you guys like him so much?

The big east has a small amount of quality bigs this year. Truth be told I dont think Obekpa is very good, he leaves a lot to be desired. But close to 6 rebounds and 4 blocks every game and you dont find that everywhere.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
I at 5'9 play 20 plus minutes a game get 6 boards. Wont get the blocks but will play better post defense. Our offensive games are similar though.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
First thought after seeing this list is that there really aren't a lot of great bigs in the conference.  I think Obekpa can be right up there with any of them.  Pinkston is a college big, but it's almost unfair to list him on here because he can do so much on the perimeter....definitely #1.  Smith, when he wants it, can be the best of the true bigs anywhere.  But who knows what kind of effort G'town will get from him on or off the court. 

Stainbrook is steady, but I think you are overrating him a bit. He looked really good against us because we had no skill down low.  I'd  add Kameron Woods of Butler to this list.  I can see them being one of the most improved teams in the conference if not the country (with URI).  He led the Big East in boards last season.  Defensively, he goes for the block far too often instead of gaining good defensive position, but he does rebound the hell out of the ball. 

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »
Pinkston is not only the top big, but is the best player in the conference

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
First thought after seeing this list is that there really aren't a lot of great bigs in the conference.  I think Obekpa can be right up there with any of them.  Pinkston is a college big, but it's almost unfair to list him on here because he can do so much on the perimeter....definitely #1.  Smith, when he wants it, can be the best of the true bigs anywhere.  But who knows what kind of effort G'town will get from him on or off the court. 

Stainbrook is steady, but I think you are overrating him a bit. He looked really good against us because we had no skill down low.  I'd  add Kameron Woods of Butler to this list.  I can see them being one of the most improved teams in the conference if not the country (with URI).  He led the Big East in boards last season.  Defensively, he goes for the block far too often instead of gaining good defensive position, but he does rebound the hell out of the ball. 

I want to hear you say where butler will finish in the BE. I know deep down you dont see them finishing any higher than 7th, mayyybe 6th.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
Pinkston is not only the top big, but is the best player in the conference

Give me Hilliard, but cant argue.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »

I want to hear you say where butler will finish in the BE. I know deep down you dont see them finishing any higher than 7th, mayyybe 6th.

Tough conference this year, man.  The top might not be the same without a dominant Creighton unless St. John's is up to the task, but Butler looks damn good to me. I was very impresed with Roosevelt Jones two years ago.  He'll be one of the best players in the conference right off the bat and has three years (1 redshirt) under his belt. 

I see them anywhere from 4th through 6th....ceiling of 3rd if they can go back to playing Butler basketball. 

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
I like him. Think he is ok. Why do many of you guys like him so much?

Because he's the greatest shot blocker in the history of the franchise.  And blocked shots are the second most exciting play in basketball.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
I like him. Think he is ok. Why do many of you guys like him so much?

Because he's the greatest shot blocker in the history of the franchise.  And blocked shots are the second most exciting play in basketball.

And that's why he's a legit pro prospect. That ability is rare. So rare, that in two years, he broke the University's record for blocked shots. If he focuses and grows up, he could be a first round pick.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 02:42:48 PM »
He is a an amazing shot blocker, but and awful offensive player. Their is more to playing defense then blocking shots. He got stronger last year, but he is not strong. He got improved his offensive game, but he is still not good.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
He is a an amazing shot blocker, but and awful offensive player. Their is more to playing defense then blocking shots. He got stronger last year, but he is not strong. He got improved his offensive game, but he is still not good.

He is still a project. We all know that. How hard he works will determine how successful he will be in basketball. That's not true for most of the roster. Most of the roster has a ceiling of some shit hole like Qatar. Obekpa can improve and make the league.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
I understand there is more to playing defense than blocking shots. But Obekpa changes the entire game just from being on the court. Guards especially become afraid of taking the ball to the hoop. IMO he is the best defender in the conference even if his man to man D is a bit suspect.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:51:33 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
I understand there is more to playing defense than blocking shots. But Obekpa changes the entire game just from being on the court. Guards especially become afraid of taking the ball to the hoop. IMO he is the best defender in the conference even if his man to man D is a bit suspect.

How has that worked out so far? Him changing the game?

Foad

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »

Name some sophomores who've changed the game. Then after you've named those sophomores, realize how stupid your questions is.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »

Name some sophomores who've changed the game. Then after you've named those sophomores, realize how stupid your questions is.

He was the game changer in the a Robert Morris game for sure