Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ - OHIO ST.

• 331 replies
Re: Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ
« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
Ohio St

« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »
Holtzman probably wants this one bad as well as there is no love lost between him and Mullin.

« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Meanwhile our coach is golfing in Garden City Yesterday.

« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
And? SJU was on this kid from the start and put tons of effort into recruiting him. Mullin was present. Sometimes you can't compete with OSU campus, facilities or boosters. Naz, Jahvon and Luther all are going out of state. Kids want to go away, can you blame them?

That's why this whole "alienating the local aau's and high schools" is nonsense. This isn't the 80s or 90s. Most of these local coaches just want their egos massaged and name in the paper at the end of the day.

« Reply #264 on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
And? SJU was on this kid from the start and put tons of effort into recruiting him. Mullin was present. Sometimes you can't compete with OSU campus, facilities or boosters. Naz, Jahvon and Luther all are going out of state. Kids want to go away, can you blame them?

That's why this whole "alienating the local aau's and high schools" is nonsense. This isn't the 80s or 90s. Most of these local coaches just want their egos massaged and name in the paper at the end of the day.

I'm also one who doesn't care about the "alienating of local AAU and high school" folks.  I'm one who says get some players from your backyard, but also scour and recruit hard throughout the entire country and abroad.  If our roster is full of out of towners and a couple of local kids, and we're winning....  Who would give a crap, other than a handful of NY/NJ centric folks who just want something to complain about?

Once again, I sense this recruitment has more to do with "just wanting to go away."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:08:17 PM by mjdinkins »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »
This program is a joke....

pmg911

« Reply #266 on: September 21, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
Am I missing something or has this kid really tipped his hand.?

Seems like a lot of rumors running wild today

wpc77

« Reply #267 on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »

Zach B also tweeted an hour so ago that he is very unlikely to sign with SJU.  So...

« Reply #268 on: September 21, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

No, he hasn't officially announced anything, and sometimes you can't say definitively until someone has actually announced.  But, the tea leaves seems to be Ohio State.  I also read on Redmen where someone said he was recording his announcement today, but obviously it won't be shown until a week or two from now when he announces.

ras

« Reply #269 on: September 21, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »

I have not read anything formally. But, have read Matt is not following Luther, Paultzman has an OSU avi on redmen.com  plus Zack B tweet. Doesnt look good when connecting the dots.

« Reply #270 on: September 21, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
He's gone...

Where do you think Zach got his scoop from?

« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Should have kept Lavin,  shook up the staff a bit and gave him a extension.  Can't recruit with 2 years on the contract.

« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
Let's please not go there.  It will lead to 7000 posts on the prior staff.  Lavin had his opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.  This is year 3 for Chris & Co. and they need to get it done with a solid season on the court and on the recruiting front.

« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »
Let's please not go there.  It will lead to 7000 posts on the prior staff.  Lavin had his opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.  This is year 3 for Chris & Co. and they need to get it done with a solid season on the court and on the recruiting front.

I agree, there is no need to go there and don't wanna go there (and, I was someone who backed Lavin).  This staff needs to grind and be a bit more visiable (on the recruiting trail), as well as needing a shake up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:38:37 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
I say it because Mullin poached the job while Lavin still had it.

This guy has done nothing as of yet to show he knows what he is doing.  It is year 3 kind of concerning - just like not getting  a forward for the team this year.  This thing is not not going to get any better for a long time.  It is extremely sad.

« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
"Poached" or not, Lavin lost that job due to his own doing.  Period.  And, like Dink, I was very much a Lavin supporter until his last year.

Disagree that Mullin & staff have done nothing.  They took a step last year.  We have very good talent, especially at the guard/wings, 1-7.  Our back court alone is as talented as it has been since the late 90s.  Ponds was one of the best SJU freshman I can remember; Lovett one of the better first year players I can remember, and we are adding a former 5-star PG from a high major.  That is not "nothing".

Where we agree is that this is a huge year for the program on the court and off.  They need to show marked improvement.

ras

« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
Not time to jump off the ledge yet.  The odds are we will have Trimble, Ponds,Simon and Dixon next year. Disappointing because he seemed to be a SJU lean. Expect Lovett to be gone, but really hope Ponds stays. I also agree that we should recruit nationally. A lot of local players want to leave NYC, but players from other geographic areas might find NYC appealling. The Rice situation is puzzling, could use him and the price is right. Plenty of great players from NJ that he could help with.

« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
Recruiting ain't easy. The longer the fish is in the sea the more sharks it will attract.

This one didn't really attract more sharks than anticipated. This one wasn't like Nas Little. Obviously OSU and West Virginia are solid programs but it's not like we were the only ones recruiting this kid from the start. I don't expect to beat Duke or Kentucky for a kid but if we want to get top 100 kids then we have to beat out the OSUs and WVUs of the world on occasion.

We have one recruiter and apparently everybody except for Mullin or whoever is calling the shots there sees that we need to add another one. With only one recruiter it seems like we can't hit recruiting from all the areas it needs to be hit from. We can't devote 2-3 years to 4/5 star HS players AND locate 3 star HS talent with big upside AND dominate the transfer game.

We either need to add another recruiter pronto or turn our focus to attainable kids like Josh Roberts and hope he develops into a stud. Then hope to pick off a few transfers during the offseason.

So where do we go from here? After this likely Luther whiff we will hear the same old "it's ok we are positioned well for the '19 class" that we heard during the Lavin years. And we'll be told frequently that we are very much in the mix for guys like Precious and Lewis and Aidan when we won't actually land any of them. We've all seen this movie before many times and for some reason we think it's going to end differently every time

When he left his travel team in the spring it wasn't a good sign to me.

1. Not under same coach who has good relationship with staff.
2. He had to be unhappy with role / wanted bigger spotlight.
3. Switched to new league with a bunch of new people in his ear.

I don't have intimate knowledge of what's going on but I've seen this movie before. I know its discouraging but onto the next one has to be the mentality. You want dudes who want to be here period.

Recruiting is fluid and I get that, but when do any of these ever break our way? Before a couple weeks ago maybe Sid Wilson was one that went our way but look how that turned out. We seem to always lose out because of last second change of hearts or forces outside the staff's control but we literally never win one that way

Seems like it but few do bounce our way too.

I think what hurts is it feels like overtime the scab is almost healed it's busted open again.

Again I don't want to argue about assistants but ultimately the Head Coach is in charge. If he hires good assistants and he fails it is his responsibility, if he doesn't hire good assistants and he fails guess what...it is his responsibility.  So I really don't care, if he feels he can win with this staff then guess what?  Win with this staff, it is his decision.  He is getting paid to make that decision.  Either way it is on him.

Bottom line he was brought in not to make SJU mediocre or even decent, he was brought in to make SJU competitive with Villanova.  That doesn't mean it needs to happen this year, but he needs to make a major step towards that goal this year.
Absolutely

« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »
"Poached" or not, Lavin lost that job due to his own doing.  Period.  And, like Dink, I was very much a Lavin supporter until his last year.

Disagree that Mullin & staff have done nothing.  They took a step last year.  We have very good talent, especially at the guard/wings, 1-7.  Our back court alone is as talented as it has been since the late 90s.  Ponds was one of the best SJU freshman I can remember; Lovett one of the better first year players I can remember, and we are adding a former 5-star PG from a high major.  That is not "nothing".

Where we agree is that this is a huge year for the program on the court and off.  They need to show marked improvement.

What backcourt from the 90's are we comparing these guys to?

« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »
@AdamZagoria
2018 @Hudson_Bball SG @LutherMuhammad is expected to choose between Ohio State and Xavier, per his coach.

I don't think Muhammad likes all the info leaking out:

@LutherMuhammad  28m
Replying to @AdamZagoria @Hudson_Bball
Delete this!