Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

Marillac

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

So historically, when St. John's has been truly competitive on the national level (1 Final Four and a couple of Elite 8's in past 30 years) , the teams have been driven by players who played high school hoops locally but you think to consistently compete nationally we need more then that..? History tells us that you are not right.

Also and I am honestly asking because I want to hear what your thoughts are...   define what it means for St. John's to consistently compete nationally..?

History also tells us that you have to adapt to changing climates, and things have changed both in NYC and nationally.  Florida, Texas, and Virginia each have nine top 100 recruits on Rivals.  NY has three and this is considered one of the strongest area classes in years.  We're not likely to see classes like Kenny Smith, Pearl and Mark Jackson or Artest, Brand, and Odom again. 

Poison

« Reply #441 on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

So historically, when St. John's has been truly competitive on the national level (1 Final Four and a couple of Elite 8's in past 30 years) , the teams have been driven by players who played high school hoops locally but you think to consistently compete nationally we need more then that..? History tells us that you are not right.

Also and I am honestly asking because I want to hear what your thoughts are...   define what it means for St. John's to consistently compete nationally..?

The last time St.John's competed nationally and consistently, there was no internet. Learning about the Universities that weren't within driving stance wasn't as easy as it is now. There are a lot of reasons why it's harder to keep local kids home. The once hefty stipend is gone. Kids leave for prep school and spend time in places like, IDK, North Carolina, and they like the hoops first culture that we don't, and probably never will have here because of the size and depth of the city.

Lavin was savvy to sell a kid from Texas on the chance to be a star in the greatest city in the world. I think we can all agree with that. That doesn't mean that NYC should be ignored, and it was. If this team had a Tyrone Grant, they finish in second place in the BE.

That said, where a player is from has no bearing on what kind of player he'll be. That logic is bananas.

BUT, to have so much talent in your own backyard, and ignore all of it is short-sighted. Lavin never considered that turning the second best player on CTK into a star would be a way to make inroads with high school coaches who have been waiting for over 20 years for a good reason to suggest that St.John's makes sense for a kid.

Lavin had some balls on him to only recruit Briscoe when he had a pretty lame resume at St.John's. We could have used a lot of 3 or 4 star locals over the last few years.

PIB

« Reply #442 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »
Lock the tri-state down, and cherry pick throughout the nation.

Pretty simple formula.

« Reply #443 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
@Iam_RawleAlkins: Missing NY 🏦🗽

Maybe his time away from NY will be a good thing for us.
Or maybe he is just enjoying playing with us us all.  Remember the Albany tweet?  I think he likes attention.  Maybe he came to SJU the day before he left for Carolina just so the NY area would be making a big deal over him all season.  Or maybe he is very sincere about everything he is saying.
Or maybe he misses NY because he misses family, friends, home cooking, good pizza. Have you ever had pizza in NC? Everything doesn't have to relate to SJU or their fan base.
I hope you are right Celtics.  But we'll see.  It's normal to be homesick, but this seems a little late.  He's been away for over a month now, and he's just getting homesick now?  It didn't seem to stop him (them) from playing games on his phone or computer.

A HS senior posts a tweet saying he misses home and this is what happens.
Not just that mase, people on here were upset about all his quotes and interviews all summer. 

« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »

Marillac covered it all, as well as room112 and PIB (Poison also made a few, valid points).  History is what it is....  History.  It doesn't has any bearing on the current nor the future.  We can win without loading up the roster with a bunch of NYC players.  Talent isn't spewing out of NYC like it was back in the day.  There was a time you could find about 4 or 5 top 100 players in one particular class from NYC.  How often do you see that nowadays?     

As, Marillac stated, "History also tells us that you have to adapt to changing climates, and things have changed both in NYC and nationally" is right on the money, IMO. 

Consistently compete nationally is self-explanatory.  Just think of all the teams in college hoops who consistently compete nationally (outside of the Kentucky's, Duke's, Michigan State's, and Kansas's, as schools of that ilk are on a different level of winning, IMO), and there you go.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:18:20 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »

Marillac covered it all, as well as room112 and PIB (Poison also made a few, valid points).  History is what it is....  History.  It doesn't has any bearing on the current nor the future.  We can win without loading up the roster with a bunch of NYC players.  Talent isn't spewing out of NYC like it was back in the day.  There was a time you could find about 4 or 5 top 100 players in one particular class from NYC.  How often do you see that nowadays?     

As, Marillac stated, "History also tells us that you have to adapt to changing climates, and things have changed both in NYC and nationally" is right on the money, IMO. 

Consistently compete nationally is self-explanatory.  Just think of all the teams in college hoops who consistently compete nationally (outside of the Kentucky's, Duke's, Michigan State's, and Kansas's, as schools of that ilk are on a different level of winning, IMO), and there you go.
You must have meant four or five All-Americans.  Like in 90 when there was Brian Reese, Adrian Autry, Khalid Reeves, Jamal Faulkner, Derrick Phelps. . . . .  And a lot more great players that and every year.  That's totally gone now.

« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/the-rawle-alkins-blog-roy-williams-hits-the-quan-settling-in-n-c-pregame-rawle-alkins-kentucky-kansas-st-johns-unlv-unc

Good read.
Not so much for me. He said he likes it down there.  Oh, but just in early October he said he was homesick for New York.  See, I'd rather read and article about how much he does NOT like it down there.

« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/the-rawle-alkins-blog-roy-williams-hits-the-quan-settling-in-n-c-pregame-rawle-alkins-kentucky-kansas-st-johns-unlv-unc

Good read.
Not so much for me. He said he likes it down there.  Oh, but just in early October he said he was homesick for New York.  See, I'd rather read and article about how much he does NOT like it down there.

This is like these interviews you see on recruiting sites.  The player says what ammounts to a whole lot of nothing.  When he starts to cut his list and we're still in contention I'll pay attention, especially if Paultzman puts him on his avi.  Until then let Rawle enjoy his exposure.

« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
I think it's the opposite. I'm sure there's kids who live in NY and want to explore. However, some kids may want to stay home. However, there's probably a better chance to focus on kids who never been to NY and would like to come play in probably the biggest market in the world.

Sure there's colleges who get recognized as a basketball brand (NC, Kansas, Duke, etc.). However, we now have two hall of fame players and a former professional development guy in helping them get ready to go pro. What college staff has that on their resume?

I'm sure if Mullin and his staff can convince these guys that if they listen to him, play smart, and work as hard as he worked, and win in the biggest media outlet, they will get recognized and make it if they have the talent.     

paultzman

« Reply #451 on: October 27, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
@AdamZagoria: St. John's is also working on setting up officials for 2016s @Iam_RawleAlkins and @ThonMaker14 , source says. No dates yet.

« Reply #452 on: October 27, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
@AdamZagoria: St. John's is also working on setting up officials for 2016s @Iam_RawleAlkins and @ThonMaker14 , source says. No dates yet.

I think if we landed BOTH I would have my first heart attack.

« Reply #453 on: November 01, 2015, 01:52:44 AM »
http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/rawle-alkins-visits-st-johns-for-red-white-scrimmage/#more-142332

Former Christ the King star Rawle Alkins spent his Halloween back in Queens on Saturday, where the five-star guard watched a St. John’s intersquad scrimmage from the front row.

Even though the 2016 product will be lacing up his shoes for Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Academy, the Brooklyn native said St. John’s is still very much in the mix for his services, even as North Carolina and N.C. State have stepped up their efforts to land him

“Yeah, of course,” Alkins said, when asked if first-year head coach Chris Mullin and the Red Storm still have a fighting chance. “They’re in my top eight.”

Alkins had also visited St. John’s before leaving for Word of God, taking the above picture, and also hosted St. John’s assistant Barry “Slice” Rohrssen at Word of God.

Alkins added that, while he’s still getting acclimated to living in North Carolina, his ability in the classroom and on the court have already improved since he left Christ the King due to eligibility issues.

“My grades are getting way better. I’ve been focusing more on school,” he said. “My team is looking great too.”

“I think we’re better,” Alkins added when asked to compare his Word of God team and his prior Christ the King squads. “It’s an upgrade at every position. All my guys are high Division 1 players.”

The star, who is eyeing Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UNC, UNLV and N.C .State along with St. John’s, still expects to make his college decision in the spring.

At halftime, Rohrssen embraced Alkins before leading him into an arena tunnel to chat with him for 10 minutes. At the end of the scrimmage, it was Mullin who hugged and talked with the recruit for a few moments.

« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »

cjfish

« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
when prep schools became a  factor the number of big NYC players crashed

« Reply #456 on: November 10, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
Eric Bossi of Rivals on where he thinks Alkins lands:

SG Rawle Alkins, Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God, No. 9 Recruiting wrap: Alkins has moved from New York City for his senior year of high school and appears to be in no rush to make a decision. Since his arrival at Word of God, he's seen the campuses of N.C. State and North Carolina and he's been on campus at St. John's multiple times.

Prediction: It's early, but N.C. State or St. John's

https://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1823903

« Reply #457 on: November 27, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
Seen him on some 2017 mock draft boards, top 10 pick

« Reply #458 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
I want this kid at SJU more than any recruit in recent memory. Make it happen.

paultzman

« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »