Missing Pieces Longer term

• 208 replies

hnk

Missing Pieces Longer term
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »
It seems the new staff is doing an amazing/wonderful job.  Has anyone heard about a 1) wide body rebounder and/or 2) a taller point guard being in the mix of future targets?

Re: Missing Pieces Longer term
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
I think PG is set with LoVett and Mussini with Ellison spotting min when necessary.

Wide bodied rebounder? I think that guy is gonna have to be Christian Jones. Tariq Owens comes in next year who will be another big in the mix next year.

Need a scorer at the wing (Bashir Ahmed) and Scorer at the 4 (Richard Freudenberg)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
I agree that's where we are hopefully likely to be.....and that leaves us with great talent (including Ponds, Yakwe)...but two very small point guards and no wide body inside.  Owens seems like a great kid from watching him on sidelines etc, but he's a finesse player.  I wish we had a little more size (lbs.)......so we don't get muscled by the good teams.....By the way, I think Bashir will be a good rebounder,,,but I'd still hope for  a little more size.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:12:15 PM by hnk »

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
Owens has potential but is skinny.....needs to put on mass this year.  A lot of it.  Hopefully the coaches and trainers get him in the weight room and feed him Muscle Milk and steaks.

hnk

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
A starting five of Lovett, Moose and or Ponds,  Bashir, Sima and Yakwe, won't weigh  much over 9001bs....and the bench will outweigh the bench.   I think Owens may be silky smooth but he's a toothpick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:12:30 PM by hnk »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »
People have told me Matt A is very good at balancing a roster so I am confident in the abilities of this new staff. They have my trust.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
I agree that's where we are hopefully likely to be.....and that leaves us with great talent (including Ponds, Yakwe)...but two very small point guards and no wide body inside.  Owens seems like a great kid from watching him on sidelines etc, but he's a finesse player.  I wish we had a little more size (lbs.)......so we don't get muscled by the good teams.....By the way, I think Bashir will be a good rebounder,,,but I'd still hope for  a little more size.

Owens is not a finesse player. He's all hustle and bounce.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »
What teams in the Big East are filled with wide bodies up front? I'm not sure anyone is getting outmuscled. Lots of good guards on all teams especially Nova, Butler, and X

Johnny23

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »
We make up for the lack of size/girth with long, rangy athletes like Sima, Owens and Yakwe. However a big 6'9 - 6'11 widebody would definitely be a welcome addition and I think necessary to compete with the top schools and all their size.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 03:22:07 PM »
People have told me Matt A is very good at balancing a roster so I am confident in the abilities of this new staff. They have my trust.

I trust them, but the roster is very imbalanced right now and looks to get worse before it gets better.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »

I trust them, but the roster is very imbalanced right now and looks to get worse before it gets better.

How so?
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
I trust them too.....a taller point guard and a wide body are just on my Christmas wish list....for this year or next.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:09:05 PM by hnk »

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
I trust them too.....a taller point guard and a wide body are just on my Christmas wish list....for this year or next.
I agree with that also.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »

Owens is not a finesse player. He's all hustle and bounce.

I agree. He reminds me of Trevor Ariza.

Wods317

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Matt A to my knowledge has always been good at evaluating JUCO talent so maybe he finds us a big man going that route. I think next year with Owens in the mix we will have a little more depth up front with AA, Sima and Jones but I also think we could probably use another rebounding big man. If we get Ahmed and Freudenberg into the mix we will have some really nice depth next year and maybe we do add another big if we miss out on some other targets like Alkins.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »

Anything else you want?  Sounds like you are looking for the perfect roster. 

Guess what?  That doesn't exist in college outside of maybe 5 teams.

We have 3 ships right now.  Attention seems pointed on 3 guys which don't fit your criteria.  Who do you want to not pursue so you get that wide body and 'taller' pg you want so bad.

hnk

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »
A perfect roster would be nice., but I'm not counting on it....just wishing for it. I said, long term....this year or next......they'll probably be some turnover...things will open up......injury...transfer etc.  I just want what all men want: "More"

Also, unfortunately, we might not get all three of the guys we are chasing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:14:31 PM by hnk »

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
we absolutely could use another rebounder. He doesn't have to be a 5 star recruit . But we could use a wide player strong player. I also think we need a another pg.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
A perfect roster would be nice., but I'm not counting on it....just wishing for it. I said, long term....this year or next......they'll probably be some turnover...things will open up......injury...transfer etc.  I just want what all men want: "More"

Also, unfortunately, we might not get all three of the guys we are chasing.

Didn't answer my question. Which of the thre do you feel are not needed in light of the big body or tall PG

hnk

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »
What are the odds we get all three? What are the odds no other ships open up?  If  nothing opens unfortunately, AA, DW, and maybe CJ if they don.t make progress.  AA needs stronger hands to catch and keep the ball....and consistently avoid silly fouls.  DW  if he's not still recovering needs to be tougher in the middle.  CJ is making great strides but can't really  bang with 6/9 players.

I've only seen Rawlee play. I'm not sure he's a program changer for us. I hope so.  Somehow, I'm less than 50/50 we get him. Obviously, like what I hear about the others but haven't seen them.  I think Bashir is probably my first choice.....not based on much ...other than my gut.

Who's your first, second, third choice?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:13:19 PM by hnk »