Kofi Cockburn - C - Oak Hill Academy - ILLINOIS

• 143 replies
Re: 2019 Recruits - Kofi Cockburn
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Hear Johnnies have very good shot.

Pair him with Igie A.  ;)  and we have our twin towers (replicating Wennington and Allen :) ) and are ready for Duke.

Johnny23

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
He's exactly what we need. Still early.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
This the current ESPN info and since it is so early in the process, is subject to change: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224502/kofi-cockburn

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
This the current ESPN info and since it is so early in the process, is subject to change: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224502/kofi-cockburn

247 Sports and Rivals are ahead of ESPN.

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 09:18:42 PM »

247 Sports and Rivals are ahead of ESPN.

Paultzman usually ahead of both of em...

derk

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »

I love to hear that.. this kid is an animal, and the inside dominator that SJU fans have been hoping for. 

I don't see it honestly. I love the size, but I don't see a kid that is ranked #34 nationally. I see a kid that is raw and not overly athletic. For us that is fine. Get him 8-12 minutes as a frosh and more if he can defend, rebound, and set good sceeens.

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »

I love to hear that.. this kid is an animal, and the inside dominator that SJU fans have been hoping for. 

I don't see it honestly. I love the size, but I don't see a kid that is ranked #34 nationally. I see a kid that is raw and not overly athletic. For us that is fine. Get him 8-12 minutes as a frosh and more if he can defend, rebound, and set good sceeens.

If there is a 6-11 high school junior that isn't raw and overly athletic he'd be down Kentucky and Duke at this point and would be a one and done lottery pick

MCNPA

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

The kid isn't Kevin Love, but he's a pure inside player.  He's a total bull in there and would be a problem for other teams.  Much like Angel Delgado, he isn't gonna wander outside too much.  Great size and is a good leaper for that size unlike Delgado.  He isn't a gazelle in the open court like Bagley of Duke, but his size and strength, coupled with big hands and ability to finish inside will cause matchup trouble for others.  Almost nobody is gonna push him out of the paint.  Would be a great pickup for us because of his size regardless of his raw skill set.   

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »

The kid isn't Kevin Love, but he's a pure inside player.  He's a total bull in there and would be a problem for other teams.  Much like Angel Delgado, he isn't gonna wander outside too much.  Great size and is a good leaper for that size unlike Delgado.  He isn't a gazelle in the open court like Bagley of Duke, but his size and strength, coupled with big hands and ability to finish inside will cause matchup trouble for others.  Almost nobody is gonna push him out of the paint.  Would be a great pickup for us because of his size regardless of his raw skill set.   

He doesn't move well. It stands out. I'm fine with that...I wish we had a kid like Sean O'Mara of Xavier. I just don't see a top 40-50 talent at all. I don't think comparisons to Delgado are fair or accurate. Delgado moved and used his body so well I thought he was 6'6 or 6'7.

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »

He doesn't move well. It stands out. I'm fine with that...I wish we had a kid like Sean O'Mara of Xavier. I just don't see a top 40-50 talent at all. I don't think comparisons to Delgado are fair or accurate. Delgado moved and used his body so well I thought he was 6'6 or 6'7.

Difference is that this kid is even bigger than Delgado and has real leaping ability for a guy his size.  Delgado can barely jump over a coke can.  This kid can somehow get up there.  I think his footwork will improve.  Hess still quite new to the game.  He’s dominant size-wise and not slow.  Just not a gazelle.  I'd add, his motor is also very good for a big guy.  He works hard inside.  I think he'd be a fantastic recruit for us overall.  All teams would have to respect him inside.  He'll rebound and dunk all day.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:10:46 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
Marillac vs MCNPA, Mr. Negativity vs Mr. Positivity.  :) Truth probably lies somewhere in-between but no doubt he should be a take and a recruit we should be happy to get as his floor would be a golem and what team at our level can't use one of those on the roster.

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »
Marillac vs MCNPA, Mr. Negativity vs Mr. Positivity.  :) Truth probably lies somewhere in-between but no doubt he should be a take and a recruit we should be happy to get as his floor would be a golem and what team at our level can't use one of those on the roster.

Watch the videos.  He's no golem.   He's like King Kong down low.  Not a stiff.  Like I said, not a gazelle, but opponents aren't gonna move him from the paint.  He's also still new to the game so upside should be there.  Delgado kills it for SHU and this kid is bigger and very young.

https://youtu.be/-r8XZzpFCKo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:16:33 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
Kofi relatively new to the game also.

Johnny23

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »

Watch the videos.  He's no golem.   He's like King Kong down low.  Not a stiff.  Like I said, not a gazelle, but opponents aren't gonna move him from the paint.  He's also still new to the game so upside should be there.  Delgado kills it for SHU and this kid is bigger and very young.

https://youtu.be/-r8XZzpFCKo

We'd be lucky to get this kid. Definitely not a stiff and improving a lot.

goredmen

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Anybody who doesn't think this kid is good simply doesn't know how basketball works at this level. I remember when people on this board didn't think Khadeen Carrington was good enough to play here

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
Kofi relatively new to the game also.
Not skinny enough for St. John's. We cannot afford to feed him.  ;)

ras

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »
I’d take him in a heart beat.

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
I was at Jefferson vs CTK last weekend and Kofi is savage. Pretty good touch too. Honestly think he'll be blue blood bound.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle