• 369 replies
Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
Speaking of lottery picks how is the steal of the draft Richardson doing in NBA

You think he will get his first points in the NBA or the D-league

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Getting back to Zach Brown.....

It is concerning that there is another school switch, coupled with the charges. Hopefully he's getting the right guidance.

If he does sign w/ us as being reported, I'm going in with mindset that he likely won't be fully eligible as we get closer to next season. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:48:17 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
Both Sima and KY will play in the league

D-League?

Both have 3 years remaining. If they don't make the league, gotta think it's on the staff

I remember reading a publication that mentioned there was a possibility that Mussini may not come here as NBA teams were giving him a look. So we went 1-17 in league play with 3 NBA players on our roster? Its either on the staff, or just maybe we should curb our enthusiasm. There is potential for Sima and KY no question, but until we actually see it, they are not currently NBA material. It's hard to get there. That doesn't mean they will not be great college players for us or develop into future pro's.

Exactly. Huge potential. But if it's not realized, who is to blame? 4 years to harness that potential

Remember Wayne McKoy?     Huge potential but he never realized all the hype.  Was that Looies fault?

Before my time

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
So, baldi-  you need to blame Leary for never getting off the bench and not getting a div 1 scholarship to the powerhouse Iona. Please-saying Sima and yak are both pros right now is ridiculous as they are both so raw and to blame staff.

Not that I had a chance, but Leary never networked his players that actually could play.

And yes, if these 2 don't get betterment good enough in the next 3 years staff takes some of the blame

ras

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
In the first part of the year I thought Sima was a future NBA player. But, He didn't look so good after the injury. I'm not sure if it is because he was never fully recovered  or because he was playing against stronger competition. This year will be telling.       Re, Brown, I'll take him as a partial qualifier and be happy. , like Lovett . He definitely has red flags, but , if he didn't,  we would be competing w schools like Kansas for him. I believe he has big upside and his troubles have affected his ratings.

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
Sima has potential. But I remember being absolutely wowed by Obekpa his first season. People have short memories.

Obekpa was great his Freshman year but it was clear he had 0 offensive potential. He also didn't really improve much through the years as he was still just an average rebounder for a guy his size and never learned when to go for a block and when not to

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Sima has potential. But I remember being absolutely wowed by Obekpa his first season. People have short memories.

Obekpa was great his Freshman year but it was clear he had 0 offensive potential. He also didn't really improve much through the years as he was still just an average rebounder for a guy his size and never learned when to go for a block and when not to

Never got any better from day 1

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »

Wow'd by one thing: his shot blocking. It was the best Ive ever seen but other than that he did nothing well, espically as a freshmen. I'm not saying you couldn't win big with CO as your center, I just prefer Sima. He is bigger, better offensively, and he has some semblance of consciousness when he has the ball. He may not be the best shot blocker ive ever seen but 2.5 a game as a freshmen is about as close to that as you could be.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »
I think he improved a bit, particularly in between his sophomore/junior year.  More physical, better D and less one dimensional.  But I agree that Sima's upside as an all around player is higher if for no greater reason than it seems that Sima's aptitude is on a different planet than Obekpa's.  Obekpa did one thing as good as almost any college hoops player I've seen in the past decade if not more.  Otherwise was very flawed.

Never got any better from day 1

cjfish

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Obekpa never boxed out, he was a one trick pony

SJUFAN

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »

Wow'd by one thing: his shot blocking. It was the best Ive ever seen but other than that he did nothing well, espically as a freshmen. I'm not saying you couldn't win big with CO as your center, I just prefer Sima. He is bigger, better offensively, and he has some semblance of consciousness when he has the ball. He may not be the best shot blocker ive ever seen but 2.5 a game as a freshmen is about as close to that as you could be.

Obekpa was a better rebounder and shot blocker. He also redirected so many shots, he was one of the better defensive players in college basketball. The "potential" was much higher for Obekpa than Sima after their perspective freshman year. We just know what happened with Obekpa. I don't think any of us thought he wouldn't improve at all over the course of his time here. Look at Noah for the Knicks. He has had a pretty good NBA career and his offense is non-existent. I think Brown will take minutes away form Sima from day 1 unless Sima shows significant improvement. Talent doesn't go 1-17 in league play.

goredmen

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »

Obekpa was a better rebounder and shot blocker. He also redirected so many shots, he was one of the better defensive players in college basketball. The "potential" was much higher for Obekpa than Sima after their perspective freshman year. We just know what happened with Obekpa. I don't think any of us thought he wouldn't improve at all over the course of his time here. Look at Noah for the Knicks. He has had a pretty good NBA career and his offense is non-existent. I think Brown will take minutes away form Sima from day 1 unless Sima shows significant improvement. Talent doesn't go 1-17 in league play.

In addition to blocks and alters, he also goaltended far too often when he didn't have to, and went for blocks that he had no chance of getting leading him to vacate his rebounding position resulting in an easy offensive rebound and put back

TONYD3

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
Obekpa got a lot better. He was always a great shot blocker. As he got stronger he played adequate post defense. Never a good rebounder. On offense he also got better. Still really poor.
He was the most overrated player in johnnyjungle history.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »

Disagree with their relative potential.  Obekpa's started and ended with shot blocking.  Sims is at least 2 inches taller and can be a multi-faceted player.   He's a very good shot blocker, rebounder and at least is capable on offense.  He was injured so he shouldn't be over scrutinized with his post-injury performance so much.  I think he's got much more potential as a center, and it's not even close.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:23:35 PM by MCNPA »

desco80

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »
Obekpa could block shots like a pro but his defense as a whole was less than impressive.  Guards regularly took the ball into his body when they drove the lane, and even mediocre forwards/centers on BE teams torched him in the post.

CO was an elite weak side and help defender.  But guarding his own responsibility was a different story.

As for Sima, we'll have to wait and see.  I'm definitely not ready to give up on him yet... but if Brown is as good as advertised I have no issue with him taking the starting spot next season.

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »

D-League?

Both have 3 years remaining. If they don't make the league, gotta think it's on the staff

I remember reading a publication that mentioned there was a possibility that Mussini may not come here as NBA teams were giving him a look. So we went 1-17 in league play with 3 NBA players on our roster? Its either on the staff, or just maybe we should curb our enthusiasm. There is potential for Sima and KY no question, but until we actually see it, they are not currently NBA material. It's hard to get there. That doesn't mean they will not be great college players for us or develop into future pro's.

Exactly. Huge potential. But if it's not realized, who is to blame? 4 years to harness that potential

Remember Wayne McKoy?     Huge potential but he never realized all the hype.  Was that Looies fault?

Before my time

Cop out. ;)  The point is you can't put the development  of kids solely on the coaching staff.  BTW, McKoy was the 2nd ranked prospect  coming out of LuHi but he peaked in HS and was schooled by your very own Jeff Ruland who was nowhere near as well regarded coming out of HS.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:45:54 PM by Section 9 »

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:48 PM »

D-League?

Before my time

Cop out. ;)  The point is you can't put the development  of kids solely on the coaching staff.  BTW, McKoy was the 2nd ranked prospect  coming out of LuHi but he peaked in HS and was schooled by your very own Jeff Ruland who was nowhere near as well regarded coming out of HS.

So you're saying McKoy didn't improve in his time at St John's?

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »

Noah is consistently one of the best passing bigmen in the league. And if you want to look at his collegiate career their offense couldn't have been further apart.  I think Sima has as much "potential" as any big ive seen at sju in the past 10-15 years.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
Not trying to rain on the parade, sima will be a good 4 year player. But he is slow. Really slow. Who is he guarding in the NBA?

cjfish

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
With Obekpa in the middle SJU had a 4 man offense.  Other than the putback dunk he was useless on offense, could not pass, could not shoot (mastered the linedrive), could not make a free throw.  A poor rebounder who did not box out.  He was awful.  Even if he blocked 5 a game he was the team anchor.  A breathing Sima is bound to be much better, could not be any worse.  Why are we even discussing this guy?  Tough to win 4 on 5.