Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies

Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:56 AM »
Embarrassment? We would have been applauded by the media and gotten more coverage from ESPN than we've gotten in the last 20 years for being so progressive for having a transgender on our roster.

« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Dave...we needed a big and this guy had zero chance of ever making it.  Surely there was a PF type out there we could've got that would defend and rebound.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

QuanMan

« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
My biggest qualm is how he wasn't pegged as unstable from nearly monthly visits this Winter. Regardless of talent, at what point do you step back and say we can't have this kid represent our program. Sheed and Obekpa were costly risks at 18 years old, but this would've been unprecedented.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »
It didn't work out but I'd do it again for next recruit especially scholarship #13

I've admitted that Brown was worth the risk, but in our case he wasn't the 13th scholarship player.  Frankly, we're not in a position where he'd be listed as such.  He was being counted on in our case. 

For teams like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or even Villanova, then your "13th scholarship" quote would hold true.  But, not in our situation.  I'm not counting on personnel who isn't on the team or have yet to commit to St. John's.

« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
Dave...we needed a big and this guy had zero chance of ever making it.  Surely there was a PF type out there we could've got that would defend and rebound.

This class is thin and available and attainable guys weren't worth it. Transfer was always backup plan and still in play. In good shape.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #365 on: March 10, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
Embarrassment? We would have been applauded by the media and gotten more coverage from ESPN than we've gotten in the last 20 years for being so progressive for having a transgender on our roster.

Still might have the ESPY "Most Courageous Athlete" award wrapped up. Past winners include Bruce Jenner and Michael Obama.

Poison

« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/JessicaTurberry

After monthly visits this Winter, how was this imbalanced personality not suspected?

I credit Matt for a lot of things, but imagine looking at this account knowing he/she was suiting up for us next Fall. We're only about a month removed from this debacle. A inexcusable, irresponsible risk, terrible recruiting job on his part.

I still don't get where the irresponsible risk is? It was potentially the last scholarship on the team. Who was better that late in the game?

It was calculated risk imo. If it worked great, if it didn't then you still have transfer fall back plan. Rest of bigs in class stunk.

Dave, in the past month he has changed his name to Jessica Turberry, regularly crossdresses, puts on makeup,  blatenly shoplifted and violated his probation. You're asking what the risk was? This scholarship supposedly scared away Sima for good and dampened our chances with any other 2017 recruit. It looks like we almost had the first trans basketball player in the sport's history. If this active profile was caught by the press while he was still committed to us articles would start and rumors would be flying. It would've been a colossal embarrassment. Matt gambled and it blew up on him and could've gotten worse. You have to be joking.

I'm looking at this from a basketball perspective only. St. John's got involved with Brown when everyone jumped off then he was turning the corner and teams jumped back in and he climbed up the rankings. St. John's had an inside track on top rated big school has been involved with since Jayson Williams.

There are no other 2017 recruits and Sima couldn't cut it on this current roster so that has nothing to do with Brown.

Kid threw away his opportunity but school was wise to hang in and gamble on him. It didn't work out but I'd do it again for next recruit especially scholarship #13

He's not the top rated big we've recruited since Williams. Possibly the top raked big since Zendon Hamilton, who was rated higher than Brown, and actually Williams, too.

Poison

« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »
My biggest qualm is how he wasn't pegged as unstable from nearly monthly visits this Winter. Regardless of talent, at what point do you step back and say we can't have this kid represent our program. Sheed and Obekpa were costly risks at 18 years old, but this would've been unprecedented.

Actual killers have played here. We also had a guy who started the biggest sports riot in basketball history. This kid did what, steal a bag of potato chips? He has really, really bad judgement, but I see Dave's point. There are other options, and most of them won't become available for another week to ten days.

« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:32 PM »
Can someone change the name of this thread to make it accurate and to reflect the transformation thank you

« Reply #369 on: March 11, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
Can someone change the name of this thread to make it accurate and to reflect the transformation thank you

Hahahaha