Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies
Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2016, 10:26:02 AM »
Both Sima and KY will play in the league

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
Paultz assume you feel that way even if it meant that we don't get a kid like French who many here like and who it seems we had a very good shot with before Brown?  From what I've heard, the upside for Brown plus view that everything will be sorted out fine outweighs passing on him and taking a kid like French, even though the staff liked him too (though not nearly on Brown's level)

Well worth the risk.

Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is.

Taken with a grain

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »
His rebounding needs to get up to 7-8/game

Two players in the BE averaged > 8 rebounds a game last year. Six averaged more than seven. Three of those six are in the NBA.

My guess is they had other skill sets.

My point is that nonchalantly saying that a sophomore should do what three NBA players did might lead to disappointment.

MCNPA

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2016, 12:45:18 PM »
Freshman year stats:

Obekpa            Sima

PPG.      3.9.                 7.3
Rebs.     6.2.                 5.7
Blk.        4.0.                 2.4
FT.         .391.                .386
Fg%.     .451.                .487

I'm not sure anybody can say that Obekpa was better as a freshman.  Sima doubled obekpa's points per game and had a bit higher fg%.  The other categories were extremely close except for blocks, and don't forget that Sima was out injured and then payed injured second half season.  He didn't play as well while injured as he did early in the season. 

MCNPA

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »

Agree with this...both have plenty of upside.

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
Usually very positive about the up coming season and our players. I love yawke. He is by far my favorite player coming back . I don't think he is anywhere close to being as good as many of you. Sima had some very good games . Also got abused at times. ( vandy, I believe Georgetown) and he wasn't very good after the injury. Not saying I hate him . But he is no where close to an NBA prospect currently. I compared him to Lamont Hamilton  last year. he still has plenty of work to be Lamont good.
As far as quoting last years stats and comparing them to previous seasons. Makes no sense to me. We were that bad. Games weren't close (even though many of you remember them close). Bad players can get stats just by playing. Sima is promising. But he was not a good big east center playing as a freshman. As a sophomore I think he will be average. As an upperclassman I think he will be good.

Poison

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
Usually very positive about the up coming season and our players. I love yawke. He is by far my favorite player coming back . I don't think he is anywhere close to being as good as many of you. Sima had some very good games . Also got abused at times. ( vandy, I believe Georgetown) and he wasn't very good after the injury. Not saying I hate him . But he is no where close to an NBA prospect currently. I compared him to Lamont Hamilton  last year. he still has plenty of work to be Lamont good.
As far as quoting last years stats and comparing them to previous seasons. Makes no sense to me. We were that bad. Games weren't close (even though many of you remember them close). Bad players can get stats just by playing. Sima is promising. But he was not a good big east center playing as a freshman. As a sophomore I think he will be average. As an upperclassman I think he will be good.

He wasn't a good BE center as a freshman. He was a good BE center for a freshman.

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
I tend to listen to what the opposing coaches in the league say.  The only 2 guys I recall opposing coaches speak in a positive manner about, without prompting, where Yawke and Sima.  McDermott, I believe, said that Sima will be a really good big in the league for a number of years.  Willard said that any coach in the league would want Yawke and Sima on their team. 

TONYD3

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Agree with both of you.

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »

SJUFAN

« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2016, 11:37:49 PM »
Paultz assume you feel that way even if it meant that we don't get a kid like French who many here like and who it seems we had a very good shot with before Brown?  From what I've heard, the upside for Brown plus view that everything will be sorted out fine outweighs passing on him and taking a kid like French, even though the staff liked him too (though not nearly on Brown's level)

Well worth the risk.

Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is.

Taken with a grain

So you believe Sima looked better than Obekpa comparing their freshman year? Does Sima has potential, yes. However unless you believe he's leaving for the NBA after this season he is already being recruited over. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »

D-League?

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2016, 11:47:52 PM »

D-League?

Both have 3 years remaining. If they don't make the league, gotta think it's on the staff

SJUFAN

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
I tend to listen to what the opposing coaches in the league say.  The only 2 guys I recall opposing coaches speak in a positive manner about, without prompting, where Yawke and Sima.  McDermott, I believe, said that Sima will be a really good big in the league for a number of years.  Willard said that any coach in the league would want Yawke and Sima on their team. 

Remember what the opposing coaches said about Norm Roberts?

SJUFAN

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2016, 12:01:59 AM »

D-League?

Both have 3 years remaining. If they don't make the league, gotta think it's on the staff

I remember reading a publication that mentioned there was a possibility that Mussini may not come here as NBA teams were giving him a look. So we went 1-17 in league play with 3 NBA players on our roster? Its either on the staff, or just maybe we should curb our enthusiasm. There is potential for Sima and KY no question, but until we actually see it, they are not currently NBA material. It's hard to get there. That doesn't mean they will not be great college players for us or develop into future pro's.

« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2016, 12:08:11 AM »

D-League?

I remember reading a publication that mentioned there was a possibility that Mussini may not come here as NBA teams were giving him a look. So we went 1-17 in league play with 3 NBA players on our roster? Its either on the staff, or just maybe we should curb our enthusiasm. There is potential for Sima and KY no question, but until we actually see it, they are not currently NBA material. It's hard to get there. That doesn't mean they will not be great college players for us or develop into future pro's.

Exactly. Huge potential. But if it's not realized, who is to blame? 4 years to harness that potential

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »

Well worth the risk.

Taken with a grain

So you believe Sima looked better than Obekpa comparing their freshman year? Does Sima has potential, yes. However unless you believe he's leaving for the NBA after this season he is already being recruited over. 

Absolutely
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2016, 01:54:52 AM »
Sima has potential. But I remember being absolutely wowed by Obekpa his first season. People have short memories.

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »

D-League?

Exactly. Huge potential. But if it's not realized, who is to blame? 4 years to harness that potential

Remember Wayne McKoy?     Huge potential but he never realized all the hype.  Was that Looies fault?

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2016, 09:06:11 AM »
So, baldi-  you need to blame Leary for never getting off the bench and not getting a div 1 scholarship to the powerhouse Iona. Please-saying Sima and yak are both pros right now is ridiculous as they are both so raw and to blame staff.