Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE

• 178 replies

ras

Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
As long as the staff brings in top talent for the '18, this loss won't bother me. 

Take care of business w the junior class right now and we'll be fine.

If we get a talented but unsatisfied freshman transfer. It could  be better than an 18 recruit. It would help Scholarship distribution. And he will be coming in w a year of exp. and redshirt year, would be able to help tight off the bat.

Walker wasn't going to produce anything in 2017. It's not reasonable to think a three-star true freshman could outplay a pair of kids with three years of college experience that both were at least as highly regarded coming it of high school. Then factor in Ahmed, RF , and Yakwe.

Part of getting good results is depth behind the guys you mentioned in case of injury, and to push the guys in front of him. A walk on from st francis prep who is 6"6" 200 lbs aint cutting it

I'm in full agreement on that. You can never have too many big bodies and solid four-year guys are the backbone of every good program not named Kentucky.

I was happy when it looked like we had him and I'd still rather have him than not , but it wouldn't surprise me to see the staff upgrade that roster spot with a young 4-star transfer like ala Simon.
I agree. Getting a guy like Simon might be better than an 18 recruit. If he is a talented , but dissatisfied freshman big,he will balance out scolarships. He will have a year of exp. and a redshirt year, enabling him to really help us his first year of eligibility.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:46:36 AM by ras »

desco80

« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Any transfer we sign should be extra talented.  Bc I think we're in good position for Reid Brown Muhammad etc.
Wouldn't want to interfere w that unless the player is worth it.

A 5th year grad transfer is a different situation.  1 year rentals are fine.  And I hope Matt finds the best out there

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Any transfer we sign should be extra talented.  Bc I think we're in good position for Reid Brown Muhammad etc.

A 5th year grad transfer is a different situation.  1 year rentals are fine.  And I hope Matt finds the best out there

Frankly, I don't care about being in "good shape" with a recruit any longer.  Granted, you have to be in it to win it, but being in position doesn't excite me.  We have to land 'em. 

There is also word we're more than likely gonna miss out on Brown.  Hey, it's just talk, but that's the word out there now.

Again, I'm all for the one-year rental transfer, but not the sit-out transfer (unless he's a beast).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:25:10 PM by mjdinkins »

desco80

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
Exactly.  A one year rental is fine.
No transfers unless they are difference makers.

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
Exactly.  A one year rental is fine.
No transfers unless they are difference makers.

I'm sure most know we're in need of a couple of bigs. But, hypothetically speaking, if Marcus Keene (guard) of Central Michigan was interested in us, as a 5th year transfer....  I'd be all over him!   

« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
So far staff has had Owens and Lovett sitting out for a RS year. Both have really helped us this year. This year staff has Brown and Simon sitting out for a RS year. We all hope both will really help us next year. You are not going to play 13 guys. I think staff understands and recognizes this, plus potential for player development during that year. Not to mention roster stability. Obviously staff isn't going to take a kid who they dont think can help, but if a quality player is there I think there is a ton of upside in sit-out transfers.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
I wanted one freshman big for the 2017 class, in an ideal world.  I figure that Simon and Clark, as transfers, will be better than most if not all of the incoming 2017 prospects we could have gotten (basically outside of the top 20-25 range) and they can slide into the rotation at the 1-3 (Simon) and 3-4 (Clark). 

Bring back Yawke and Owens with another year under their belt and extra bulk, and Williams with improved conditioning and another year of health, and I think those 3 plus Clark and possibly a JUCO/grad transfer big and we'll be fine.

Guards we'll have Ponds, Simon, Lovett, Ellison and Mussini.  And then Ahmed/Freudenberg as a 3/4.

That puts us at 11.  Even if Lovett were to leave (which I hope is not the case), or another guard were jump as some anticipate, we should still be fine depth wise.

paultzman

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
I wanted one freshman big for the 2017 class, in an ideal world.  I figure that Simon and Clark, as transfers, will be better than most if not all of the incoming 2017 prospects we could have gotten (basically outside of the top 20-25 range) and they can slide into the rotation at the 1-3 (Simon) and 3-4 (Clark). 

Bring back Yawke and Owens with another year under their belt and extra bulk, and Williams with improved conditioning and another year of health, and I think those 3 plus Clark and possibly a JUCO/grad transfer big and we'll be fine.

Guards we'll have Ponds, Simon, Lovett, Ellison and Mussini.  And then Ahmed/Freudenberg as a 3/4.

That puts us at 11.  Even if Lovett were to leave (which I hope is not the case), or another guard were jump as some anticipate, we should still be fine depth wise.
If we don't lose a valuable piece, this roster merits middle of pack consideration at least I would think. Hard to forecast anything, until all the rosters are fleshed out. In any event, looks like a potentially solid SJU group next season.

« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
Sign Keith Thomas

paultzman

« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2017, 05:22:59 PM »
Sign Keith Thomas

Tony & that parking lot in Westchester are gone.

desco80

« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
Darien Williams has 1 year of elidgibility left?

« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

I was told he should be able to get a medical redshirt for next year considering he lost two years to injury. He hasn't applied for it yet.

« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »

I was told he should be able to get a medical redshirt for next year considering he lost two years to injury. He hasn't applied for it yet.

What's he waiting for?

Marillac

« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »

Two. He'll get both as well if he wants it. He and SJU essentially hold mutual player and club options for 17/18 and 18/19.  He's transformed himself into a guy we really can't do without next year.

MCNPA

« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »

Two. He'll get both as well if he wants it. He and SJU essentially hold mutual player and club options for 17/18 and 18/19.  He's transformed himself into a guy we really can't do without next year.

Agree with this.  Was skeptical, but he looks healthy and strong.  He still hasn't cracked his potential even this season.  He can get a ton better.  Took him a long time to get healthy and on the court. 

Marillac

« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »

Agree with this.  Was skeptical, but he looks healthy and strong.  He still hasn't cracked his potential even this season.  He can get a ton better.  Took him a long time to get healthy and on the court. 

Most two year JUCOs play exponentially better their second season in major college ball. Williams only played one season in JUCO (three years ago) and is probably just hitting near 100% conditioning on top of that. In terms of functional strength, I think he's one of the strongest kids we've ever had. I am cautiously optimistic for his future and that caution is almost entirely based on his health.

« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »

We are not getting Brown.

lihoop

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
Are any guys on Luhi worth a look?

dR3w

« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Why is he shaded in, as if committed to St John's?  An editing mistake I assume.  Moderator?