Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks

• 189 replies
Re: Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
I mean remember we are the team that paid Abe Keita.

Im going to interject that the Keita payoff was a totally different animal. We took someone from Africa and gave him 200 or 400 per month so he would have some pocket money.  This was when we just opened the dorms, so the players lost their stipend.  In terms of that Louisville player, he took the highest offer to play for Pitino. 100k.

To some, that might not be a difference, but I think a distinction can be made.

C'mon let's not bs ourselves.  How did lovin Lavin get Rysheed? Why didn't Nova recruit him?

Dude Temple and Fran Dunphy who is as clean as a box of Clorox was all over him.  One of the big reasons he chose SJU over Temple was he wanted to get out of Philly...

Stop acting like kids who have issues after they leave suddenly proves the staff that recruited them should have known about what would happen after he left.

My point is going over everyone's heads.  I am not talkiing about what happened after he left, other than my snide remark about the slammer   This thread is about corruption in recruiting.

We all get your point, but your argument sort of doesnt make sense.  Youre saying Nova didnt recruit him, yet he didnt go to Nova because Lavin or some booster paid him to go to St Johns.

He had red flags all over him, and lazy Lavin needed bodies, so....

Poison

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »

Im going to interject that the Keita payoff was a totally different animal. We took someone from Africa and gave him 200 or 400 per month so he would have some pocket money.  This was when we just opened the dorms, so the players lost their stipend.  In terms of that Louisville player, he took the highest offer to play for Pitino. 100k.

C'mon let's not bs ourselves.  How did lovin Lavin get Rysheed? Why didn't Nova recruit him?

Dude Temple and Fran Dunphy who is as clean as a box of Clorox was all over him.  One of the big reasons he chose SJU over Temple was he wanted to get out of Philly...

Stop acting like kids who have issues after they leave suddenly proves the staff that recruited them should have known about what would happen after he left.

My point is going over everyone's heads.  I am not talkiing about what happened after he left, other than my snide remark about the slammer   This thread is about corruption in recruiting.

We all get your point, but your argument sort of doesnt make sense.  Youre saying Nova didnt recruit him, yet he didnt go to Nova because Lavin or some booster paid him to go to St Johns.

What i remember about Jordan when we were recruiting him is that while in high school he had the additional responsibility of taking care of his younger siblings. He had no criminal record which is more than we can say for Brown. If Jordan was white he would have gotten a parking ticket.

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »

What i remember about Jordan when we were recruiting him is that while in high school he had the additional responsibility of taking care of his younger siblings. He had no criminal record which is more than we can say for Brown. If Jordan was white he would have gotten a parking ticket.
Are you alluding to his attempted murder charges and if he was white they only would have given him a parking ticket? Are you a radical black man or a self hating white man?

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »

Are you alluding to his attempted murder charges and if he was white they only would have given him a parking ticket? Are you a radical black man or a self hating white man?
He's a classic cuck.

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »

Lavin may have slacked off, but the recruitment of Jordan didn't have anything to do with being lazy.  Some of y'all are silly. 

Speaking of lethargic....  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:31:36 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:20 PM »

You're right, that's probably not what would have happened. He would have been found innocent.

SJUFAN

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
So wait...only now that there is an FBI investigation that caused Pitino to lose his job over we are going to throw him under the bus? College sports is a dirty business, with or without the arrests. When Mullin leaves, Pitino would be my first phone call. If you don't think rat face isn't doing the same thing your fooling yourselves. Some years ago they "changed" their strategy and began "recruiting" one and done players. Are you kidding me? So you think a kid is going to turn down a $100k from "other" programs just to play for rat face for one year? Wake up. They got caught, good for them and better for us. Pitino is a great coach and as long as the institution (which we won't) doesn't support those antics he would do excellent here.

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »
So wait...only now that there is an FBI investigation that caused Pitino to lose his job over we are going to throw him under the bus? College sports is a dirty business, with or without the arrests. When Mullin leaves, Pitino would be my first phone call. If you don't think rat face isn't doing the same thing your fooling yourselves. Some years ago they "changed" their strategy and began "recruiting" one and done players. Are you kidding me? So you think a kid is going to turn down a $100k from "other" programs just to play for rat face for one year? Wake up. They got caught, good for them and better for us. Pitino is a great coach and as long as the institution (which we won't) doesn't support those antics he would do excellent here.

Moderation is your friend

MCNPA

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
Gonna be another interesting day in college basketball.  Get your popcorn ready.

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 09:03:23 AM »
Gonna be another interesting day in college basketball.  Get your popcorn ready.

Kudos to the SDNY USA.
What timing!  Hes sure making the start of practice interesting.

Tha Kid

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »

I doubt Coach K's assistants are involved in wiring cash to anyone.  Not saying they aren't finding a different way to skirt the rules, but I'd bet money this investigation uncovers nothing negative on Duke.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
Who's going down today?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:53:51 AM by Marco Baldi »

wpc77

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
Who's going down today?

probably South Carolina

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting/2017/9/26/16370328/nassir-little-tweets-deletes-reopened-basketball-recruiting-arizona-adidas-miami-visit-bribe-money

So Little tweeted (and then deleted) that he was reopening his recruitment.  Sounds like Zona was a done deal.  Shocker.

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting/2017/9/26/16370328/nassir-little-tweets-deletes-reopened-basketball-recruiting-arizona-adidas-miami-visit-bribe-money

So Little tweeted (and then deleted) that he was reopening his recruitment.  Sounds like Zona was a done deal.  Shocker.

Get that passport ready Nas

SJUFAN

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »

I doubt Coach K's assistants are involved in wiring cash to anyone.  Not saying they aren't finding a different way to skirt the rules, but I'd bet money this investigation uncovers nothing negative on Duke.

So because the assistants or Coach K may not be directly involved its not the same? Pitino probably wasn't directly involved either, most coaches like to be able to play dumb. Duke is landing players we know were being recruited by these assistant coaches who we now know for sure would pay for their services. Yet some players still ended up at puke? Why would a kid turn down money for his family to play one year at Duke? They wouldn't. It is what it is, If i was a school like St. John's, I would still hire Pitino. Other bigger programs wouldn't need to, but we do. Now if Pitino was directly involved that would be a different story.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:06:02 AM by SJUFAN »

Tha Kid

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »

So because the assistants or Coach K may not be directly involved its not the same? Pitino probably wasn't directly involved either, most coaches like to be able to play dumb. Duke is landing players we know were being recruited by these assistant coaches who we now know for sure would pay for their services. Yet some players still ended up at puke? Why would a kid turn down money for his family to play one year at Duke? They wouldn't. It is what it is, If i was a school like St. John's, I would still hire Pitino. Other bigger programs wouldn't need to, but we do. Now if Pitino was directly involved that would be a different story.

PITINO WAS DIRECTLY INVOLVED.  It's as shocking to me as you.  He's Coach-2 in the complaint.  Unreal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20848092/louisville-cardinals-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-coach-2-federal-complaint-source

Foad

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »

If you think a coach who can swim underwater for two miles and enter a recruit's apartment via the toilet is going to get caught paying players you're delusional.

Tha Kid

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »

And no, it's not the same if it's boosters alone and no involvement from anyone in the athletic department.   I would think if Duke was cheating you would find players' relatives finding jobs in NC at private companies and receiving undisclosed salaries, or buying houses at significant discounts.  It's a LOT harder to prove.  But perhaps I'm wrong/being naive.