Game 1: New Orleans

• 121 replies
Re: Game 1: New Orleans
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »
We're winning but disappointing play so far.

Not seeing anything tourney worthy yet.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »

[/quot

Disappointing is a stretch. We have lots of guys playing well.  It’s our first game.  Everybody on his team can score.  We continue to tighten our reboinding and defense and we will be hard to stop despite a bit thin roster.

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
I'm disappointed in what appears to be trying to play too flashy when practically tied at one point. (Ie Ponds trying a failed layup/floater from FT line after we secured a turnover or block, or sloppy passes

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
We're up by 14, offense is efficient, Simon and Clarke are both the real deal, and Lovett looks a lot more under control this year. We're playing against a bad but not horrible team. I'm not sure why you'd be disappointed.

tnice

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:45 PM »

I know its early and there will be many other worthy contenders, but I'd like to nominate this for post of the year.

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »
Always good to start a year never in doubt in 2h good win guys!!

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
Out-rebounded 42-26 by a small team five days after getting beatup on the glass at Rutgers is a bad sign.

Lovett and Ponds shooting 19 treys isn't sustainable.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 09:45:35 PM »
At least we tried a little zone tonight

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
If shot selection does not improve...we'll win some games were supposed to lose but lose games were supposed to win and be NIT bound at best. We need a low post scoring option!!

Poison

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
A win is still much better than a loss. Like we expected, there were some good signs and some scary ones. Guard play was very good. Frontcourt simply isn’t interested in playing hard. I expect
Owens and Clarke to improve defensively as we get into the season.

However, Yakwe and Alibegovic are lost. Alibegovic doesn’t care that we need him inside, so he still camps out at the 3 point line. He is probably the worst 4 year player we’ve ever had. He’s got no head for the game. Yakwe still doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. It’s baffling.

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
That's it....close up the shop.

ras

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
A win is still much better than a loss. Like we expected, there were some good signs and some scary ones. Guard play was very good. Frontcourt simply isn’t interested in playing hard. I expect

However, Yakwe and Alibegovic are lost. Alibegovic doesn’t care that we need him inside, so he still camps out at the 3 point line. He is probably the worst 4 year player we’ve ever had. He’s got no head for the game. Yakwe still doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. It’s baffling.
I didn't see the game , but saw the stats. Amar took 2 shots that were 3s , missed them both. Zero rebounds. Clark scored a lot, but needs more rebounds and Yakwe seemed non existent. Off shooting day by Ponds but a lot of rebounds and assists.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »

I didn't see the game , but saw the stats. Amar took 2 shots that were 3s , missed them both. Zero rebounds. Clark scored a lot, but needs more rebounds and Yakwe seemed non existent. Off shooting day by Ponds but a lot of rebounds and assists.

Ponds isn’t going to be a problem. He was still good but he didn’t score a lot. It’s still just one game. Maybe the staff can get through to Yakwe. They don’t really have a choice since they made this mess.

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
Simon as expected can fly & in tandem with Ponds & LoVett will potentially provide a lot of open court, easy bucket opportunities. All to naught w/o solid rebounding obviously. Hopefully that moves in right direction.

I expect them to be tested by Nebraska next week.

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »

ras

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
Simon as expected can fly & in tandem with Ponds & LoVett will potentially provide a lot of open court, easy bucket opportunities. All to naught w/o solid rebounding obviously. Hopefully that moves in right direction.

Ponds isn’t going to be a problem. He was still good but he didn’t score a lot. It’s still just one game. Maybe the staff can get through to Yakwe. They don’t really have a choice since they made this mess.
Hopefully they can. But based on last year and Yakwes performance this year so far, it’s hard to be optimistic. Regrettably,although Amar is our biggest player , he is showing little value as a post player. We desperately needed another big and you are correct the staff failed in that department.

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 12:14:17 AM »
Ponds instincts are unreal. He is at every rebound before the ball is.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:24 AM »
Happy we got the win.

But the defense and rebounding has not improved, unfortunately. That puts a cap on our potential regardless of how well our guards play.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:06:13 AM by redstorm212 »

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 01:18:03 AM »

Obviously Nebraska will be a far tougher opponent than New Orleans or CCSU, but if we want to even sniff the bubble this year we should handle them at home

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 01:20:46 AM »
It's the first game of the year R-E-L-A-X.