Game 1: New Orleans

• 121 replies

QuanMan

Re: Game 1: New Orleans
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
Yakwe's regression from freshman season is puzzling. He was a young freshman and showed a lot of potential. I thought he may have been our next Sir Dom. Then last year he seemed lost and usually had three or four fouls in a few minutes. He showed his freshman form in the Marquette game last year but that didn't last long. With a nine man rotation (really eight considering not expecting much from Amar) Yakwe should have an opportunity to contribute. Still hoping that he can turn it around.

Rico Hines was a tremendous player development coach. We watched D'Ang, Phil, Dom and even players like Gift and Jamal Branch all improve greatly over their time with Hines.

I think Bash and Kassoum both need a little bit of time, one game doesn't define either player. They both played well in the exhibition games. I'm not prepared to take Bash out of the starting lineup, we're going to rely on him heavily at times and I like the lineup of Shamorie/Marcus/Justin/Bash/Marv. However when Tariq is inserted into that mix, it looked like a formidable alternative.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
Where is this Ahmed hate coming from? This is how he always plays !

Issue for me is all the talk about him being best player all off season in practice, spending time watching film and making adjustments to style.  Have not seen it to great extent in exhibition vs Rutgers or last night

Beware of the "best in practice or over the summer" nonsense.

wpc77

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
Yakwe's regression from freshman season is puzzling. He was a young freshman and showed a lot of potential. I thought he may have been our next Sir Dom. Then last year he seemed lost and usually had three or four fouls in a few minutes. He showed his freshman form in the Marquette game last year but that didn't last long. With a nine man rotation (really eight considering not expecting much from Amar) Yakwe should have an opportunity to contribute. Still hoping that he can turn it around.

Rico Hines was a tremendous player development coach. We watched D'Ang, Phil, Dom and even players like Gift and Jamal Branch all improve greatly over their time with Hines.

I think Bash and Kassoum both need a little bit of time, one game doesn't define either player. They both played well in the exhibition games. I'm not prepared to take Bash out of the starting lineup, we're going to rely on him heavily at times and I like the lineup of Shamorie/Marcus/Justin/Bash/Marv. However when Tariq is inserted into that mix, it looked like a formidable alternative.

Was he? I thought as you did while he was here, but in two seasons, the best job he could get is an assistant gig in the G league in Reno.

desco80

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »
I think Ahmed is one of the most frustrating players to watch that has worn an SJU uniform.  He clearly has some offensive skill and shot making ability.   But he is out of control 25% of the time the ball touches his hands.

And despite his size, he is a below average defender because he has no awareness.    Ahmed plays like an overseas import who started playing basketball at 14.   

Poison

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Was he? I thought as you did while he was here, but in two seasons, the best job he could get is an assistant gig in the G league in Reno.

I think that’s a bit harsh. It’s a developmental league, and Quan just said that he develops players. Seems like a good fit. Plenty of nba worthy guys in this league. It’s tougher because the league keeps getting more players to choose from and hasn’t expanded in size.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
I think Ahmed is one of the most frustrating players to watch that has worn an SJU uniform.  He clearly has some offensive skill and shot making ability.   But he is out of control 25% of the time the ball touches his hands.

And despite his size, he is a below average defender because he has no awareness.    Ahmed plays like an overseas import who started playing basketball at 14.   

Right now, he’s a poor man’s freshman year Felipe Lopez. We need him to be senior year Felipe Lopez since well, he’s a senior now. He knows what he should be doing, but he wants to show boat. That will stop when Mullin makes it stop.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:22:34 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

Exactly. But it seems like everyone is shocked all of a sudden.

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »

Right now, he’s a poor man’s freshman year Felipe Lopez. We need him to be senior year Felipe Lopez since well, he’s a senior now.
I know you hate Felipe but he averaged almost 20 points as a frosh. Ahmed is no Felipe.

desco80

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »

Exactly. But it seems like everyone is shocked all of a sudden.

No, it's not new.  You are right. 
But last year he was stepping up to D1, so I thought he might need time to adjust.   Then I believed the hype that he looked great in practice. 
Shame on me for listening to that. 

Poison

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »

Right now, he’s a poor man’s freshman year Felipe Lopez. We need him to be senior year Felipe Lopez since well, he’s a senior now.
I know you hate Felipe but he averaged almost 20 points as a frosh. Ahmed is no Felipe.

I definitely do not hate Felipe. I hated how he approached his role on the team. He wasn’t interested in the rest of the players on the team. Too often he wanted to do it himself. That doesn’t work. He finally learned that as a senior. Ahmed needs to be a team player. And I’m not saying that Ahmed is even as good as him. Just that the focus on scoring no matter what is a commonality.

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »

I definitely do not hate Felipe. I hated how he approached his role on the team. He wasn’t interested in the rest of the players on the team. Too often he wanted to do it himself. That doesn’t work. He finally learned that as a senior. Ahmed needs to be a team player. And I’m not saying that Ahmed is even as good as him. Just that the focus on scoring no matter what is a commonality.
Fair enough. But I don't blame Felipe. He came in with all that hype, cover of SI, number one HS player over Allen Iverson so hard to blame him for trying to do too much not to mention we had Mahoney as a coach who did not know what to do with all the talent he had. Also we din't have a good PG during his 4 years. Felipe would have looked a lot better if we would have gotten Kareem Reid to run the point and set Felipe up in better position to use his athleticism instead of Tarik turner and Mo Brown.

Foad

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »

Gazundheit averaged 9 points and 5.5 rebounds as a junior and 2 points and 2 rebounds as a senior. Branch averaged six points and three assists as a sophomore and 5 points and 2 assists as a senior. Harrison averaged 16 points as a freshman and 17 points as a senior. Greene became a better three point shooter as an upperclassman and did nothing else well as an any classman. Pointer's improvement was IIRC a result of Lavin lighting a fire under him by suggesting that he red shirt.

So to recap: no one improved greatly over their time with Hines except Pointer and probably that had nothing to do with Hines, who spent his time at SJU raw dogging road whores and collecting academic transcripts in parking lots.

Johnny23

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

Gazundheit averaged 9 points and 5.5 rebounds as a junior and 2 points and 2 rebounds as a senior. Branch averaged six points and three assists as a sophomore and 5 points and 2 assists as a senior. Harrison averaged 16 points as a freshman and 17 points as a senior. Greene became a better three point shooter as an upperclassman and did nothing else well as an any classman. Pointer's improvement was IIRC a result of Lavin lighting a fire under him by suggesting that he red shirt.

So to recap: no one improved greatly over their time with Hines except Pointer and probably that had nothing to do with Hines, who spent his time at SJU raw dogging road whores and collecting academic transcripts in parking lots.

This.

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Fair enough. But I don't blame Felipe. He came in with all that hype, cover of SI, number one HS player over Allen Iverson

Iverson would've likely stayed at #1 (Lopez was rated #2 behind Iverson) had he not been incarcerated for the bowling alley melee during the latter part of his junior year in high school.

Hines may have liked this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2zgB93KANE
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:17:49 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »

This.

Lol

Poison

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »

Who are the players that have improved under Mullin?

Foad

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »

I'll happily answer that question if you are able to explain why your question is even vaguely relevant to whether players improved under Rico Hines.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »

I'll happily answer that question if you are able to explain why your question is even vaguely relevant to whether players improved under Rico Hines.

Because we fired a coach who just made the NCAA tournament because of his perceived incompetence, and we’ve replaced this coach with a lesser group of coaches and overall talent group.

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
Ahmed has always been a good hand. I think this year he is probably more suited off the bench because of the addition of Simon & Clark but we will see.

Also re: rebounding, at the game live I would have never guessed they out rebounded us by so much. Didn't look like it but they need to get better there for sure.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
Ahmed has always been a good hand. I think this year he is probably more suited off the bench because of the addition of Simon & Clark but we will see.

Also re: rebounding, at the game live I would have never guessed they out rebounded us by so much. Didn't look like it but they need to get better there for sure.

Ahmed has to start. There’s no one else. Staff has made their bed.