Possible Ponds Wrist Injury

• 52 replies
Re: Possible Ponds Wrist Injury
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Don’t think it’s far fetched to think ponds could be a top 5 guard in the country.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
Don’t think it’s far fetched to think ponds could be a top 5 guard in the country.

Is he going to start playing defense?

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »

Is he going to start playing defense?

Board likes to get on his defense and he absolutely didn’t bring it 100% last year but his talent on that side of the ball is not far off from his talent on offense.

cjfish

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
He gets steals which is nice but his position defense is poor.  We'll see

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

This is the weakest group of returning college basketball guards I've ever seen.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
Mo had the length and size to go with the skill level.  Hence lottery pick.  And he had a year to showcase it on a depleted roster.

Ponds is at minimum a 3 year player.  Think he is similar to Cotton on the college level, who stayed 4 years and was one of the best guards in the Big East for at least 3 (and nationally for at least 2).

He's much better than Cotton. The one thing we have going in our favor is that the league can't see how great he is with the ball consistently.

ras

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
If he was 6 5 , I would agree w Marillac.  But, He is 6 1 shooting guard..  Maybe he will play 4 years for us than be a lottery pick. :)

Johnny23

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
Ponds will be a great 4 year player for us. It's too early in his college career to tell what his NBA potential will be. Needs at least another full season under his belt to make an educated projection post-college.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
If he was 6 5 , I would agree w Marillac.  But, He is 6 1 shooting guard..  Maybe he will play 4 years for us than be a lottery pick. :)

I hope scouts see it your way. I see a kid with exceptional vision and passing ability at the highest level. He has the best hands I've seen at SJU and his body control, basketball IQ, and awareness are off the charts. The only question I have is his athleticism, which is so hard to gauge because he is always under control and and he had a tendency to skate. How people don't see Steph Curry every time he plays is beyond me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:44:59 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »

I hope scouts see it your way. I see a kid with exceptional vision and passing ability at the highest level. He has the best hands I've seen at SJU and his body control, basketball IQ, and awareness are off the charts. The only question I have is his athleticism, which is so hard to gauge because he is always under control and and he had a tendency to skate. How people don't see Steph Curry every time he plays is beyond me.

The potential is certainly there.  I think Ponds could very well end up being a top 20 pick (or higher) in the '19 NBA Draft.

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
He's light years better than anyone else we have.
+1

He's not light years better than Love it.

Lovett is probably closest, but Ponds can be a top 5 guard in the country this year. He should be considered a near lottery pick.

Ponds is very very good, but this is complete lunacy

I get that often. Remember who called Harkless a loterry pick months before anyone else.

Actually I don't

Before playing a college game or scrimmage, I wrote "With his jumper and versatility Moe looks like a lock for the lottery if he is in fact 6'8.5." A poster responded:  "Lottery after one year = ridiculous."

Shamorie Ponds is a first round pick and a future NBA caliber PG, and I've hesitated to disclose  that publicly for over a year, while alluding to it.
Congratulations, one NBA team was as wrong as you were about Mo. Has he played like a lottery pick? I think not.

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
Would fit nicely next to a big point guard. Him and Frank knicks backcourt 2 years for now :)

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Would fit nicely next to a big point guard. Him and Frank knicks backcourt 2 years for now :)
Right now Ponds can't guard anyone in college so it would be like he isn't even on the court in the NBA. Our guys need to learn there are two ends to a basketball court.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
His wrist. Can we get back to his wrist? We all agree that he’s very good, but not Michael Jordan good.

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
I mean it’s not a surprise Ponds can have a good NBA chance. NBA scouts were here last year looking at him.

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
+1

Lovett is probably closest, but Ponds can be a top 5 guard in the country this year. He should be considered a near lottery pick.

I get that often. Remember who called Harkless a loterry pick months before anyone else.

Actually I don't

Before playing a college game or scrimmage, I wrote "With his jumper and versatility Moe looks like a lock for the lottery if he is in fact 6'8.5." A poster responded:  "Lottery after one year = ridiculous."

Shamorie Ponds is a first round pick and a future NBA caliber PG, and I've hesitated to disclose  that publicly for over a year, while alluding to it.
Congratulations, one NBA team was as wrong as you were about Mo. Has he played like a lottery pick? I think not.

Lol Moe Harkless is a starter on an NBA playoff team. Yes, he's lived up to his draft position.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:43:47 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
+1

Actually I don't

Lol Moe Harkless is a starter on an NBA playoff team. Yes, he's lived up to his draft position.
Glad you are laughing. I didn't say he wasn't an NBA player but if you think averaging 7 and 4 in your seventh NBA season is good value for a lottery pick you would make a terrible NBA GM. I get it he's an ex-Johnnie so he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Wods317

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »
Ponds on ESPN most underrated players list. It was an article by Jay Bilas so I'm assuming he made the picks. We can debate his nba future but I think he becomes a household name for college hoop fans by the end of this year.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »

That's where I see him as well.
I think he could be the best defender in the conference as well, but I don't think he will approach his potential on that side of the ball this year.

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
Hey, Shamorie sits in a comparative set with guys like Steph, Kemba, CJ McCollum, etc...  First thing is success for those types is few and far between and Shamorie still has a ways to go to get to their heights.  And you definitely have to overachieve if you are that body type, especially in today's NBA.  But it happens.  Took all those guys a few years to prove to scouts that they could compete and hold up despite their size so I'm not crazy worried about Shamorie leaving this year. 

And re Mo Harkless's value, well first he's had a better career than at least 6 of the 14 guys drafted ahead of him.  Lottery picks bust all the time, Mo hasn't, so define value.   I'll readily admit that up to right before the draft I didn't think he would be a lottery pick so I criticized the decision but the process proved me wrong, and Marillac right.  PS it wasn't an especially strong draft either so that's something to take into account.  But you don't get paid less as the 10th pick in a crap draft than someone getting picked 10th in a loaded draft.  Getting picked in the lottery set's up a smart man for life regardless of if you play up to expectations or not.  So as far as Shamorie's decision goes, and Mo's before him, it's not about what happens after you get drafted as much as it is about where you get drafted.  If/when you have a chance to go in the lottery you go.