5 Questions for SJU

• 7 replies

Marillac

Re: 5 Questions for SJU
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2017/11/5-questions-for-st-johns.html

You think Simon is "already entrenched as the de facto starting point guard"?  That's nuts.

ras

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
I don’t think the guard positions are going to be really defined. All 3 will handle the ball. And Simon will be a starter w Ponds and Lovett. A very nice trio. Mullin is going have to figure out which combination of Bash,Clark,Owens and Yakwe work the best at the 4 and 5.  I like the starting lineup of the aforementioned trio plus Bash and Clark. They are our best players. Clark , however is going to need a post mentality and to cut down on the 3 s. We need rebounding and an inside game from him this year w our personal.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
I don’t think the guard positions are going to be really defined. All 3 will handle the ball. And Simon will be a starter w Ponds and Lovett. A very nice trio. Mullin is going have to figure out which combination of Bash,Clark,Owens and Yakwe work the best at the 4 and 5.  I like the starting lineup of the aforementioned trio plus Bash and Clark. They are our best players. Clark , however is going to need a post mentality and to cut down on the 3 s. We need rebounding and an inside game from him this year w our personal.

The problem is that Simon can't shoot AT ALL, so Bash and Clark have to pick up his slack and it will force LP off the ball. I'd like to see Simon post up more and possibly run some offense through him to help spacing. I'd also like to see Lovett have a more defined role. He's not a SG. LP need to be getting to the basket more.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:17:28 AM »
The frontcourt is not “mounds” better than it was last year. I don’t see how it’s better at all. Owens looks like he hasn’t improved in any area. He’s been tripping over his own feet in the first three games. Alibegovic doesn’t think on the court. Yakwe is still the most bizarre of the group. He is outsmarted by any opposing player at any level. D3 included. Clark should have more boards. 3 isn’t nearly enough. Still, Clark had a very good debut. He’s a terrific addition to the program.

Last year’s team had Sima, Williams and Ellison, and they contributed offensively and defensively. They were certainly flawed, but they are better than Alibegovic and Yakwe. IDK if there is a sleeper recruit who would be eligible to play late this December but i would like to see the staff f’ing kill themselves trying to find him, and then bring him in.

I’m assuming they’d search tirelessly and find nothing, but at least they learn not to take the summer off.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:40:33 AM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:23:25 AM »
I'd also like to see Lovett have a more defined role. 

He has a defined role.  It's superstar combo guard and team best player.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »

Surely you jest. Ponds is literally the best at every single facet of game.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:07:29 PM »

Surely you jest. Ponds is literally the best at every single facet of game.

Best I can tell the only thing he's better at is rebounding.

I'm not talking about who is the better pro prospect.  Yes,  Ponds is younger and has a more Nba styled physic and could end up making more money in the future.

The question is who is the better player at St. John's today.  And so far the score is Marcus 1 Sham 0. 

He shot better than Ponds last year and had more assists in less minutes.  If he wasn't temporarily derailed by mid-season injury in 16/17, Lovett would have been team Mvp last year.

Let's see what happens this year before we anoint one king and one prince.  To me they're both 1a without a 1b and my personal taste just happens to swing towards Love it.

Not that it matters much as team success always Trumps individuals success.  But as I claimed, Marcus leads 1 nil.